Author Topic: Unarmed Combat  (Read 5527 times)

Rothgar

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Unarmed Combat
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:15:51 pm »
Hello there guys, finished my first playthrough of the game as a crossbow user, and found it to be quite fun, granted I had a couple of feats I tended to forget to use here and there (special tactics mainly, a 15sec timer and the cooldown sometimes meant it didn't work right when I was expecting combat to be right around the corner, and didnt want to waste a shot of a special arrow with crappy to hit numbers). Now fixing to begin a second runthrough and this time forgoing range combat save for grenades (which I had fun with but was not very good at utilizing) and using my bare fists. I notice that the wiki states that some of the feats mention that there is a difference between being unarmed and wearing combat gloves, and wanted to know if this was going to remain of if it would change in the future? I think of combat gloves akin to brass knuckles which I fail to see the difference between the two, I mean a punch is a punch, and the defensive feats make the stipulation of unarmed only. Are the feats still working this way (ie no weapons actively equipped at all) or have they been changed mechanically to allow the use of combat gloves as well?

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:22:41 pm »
I don't have an exact list, but I think most of the current unarmed feats work with fist weapons as well.
Either way, you can have combat gloves equipped in one weapon slot and leave the other empty for pure unarmed.
From my experience this doesn't seem to be the case but i don't know if its working as intended.
I haven't tested them all yet but i should have some time to do so this week.

I did some comments about it:
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=612.0
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:34 pm »
epeli i have no experience with wiki, but if its as easy as it sounds i might end up doing more.
Thanks for the trouble of re-posting it at suggestions sub-forum.
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:47:39 am »
If it doesn't explicitly state that it works with fist weapons as well, you can assume that it works with bare hands only. If you find a feat which description doesn't follow this rule let me know.

Some feats are intentionally left to work only with bare hands, but I'm still open to discussion if you think a particular feat should work with both, from gameplay/balance perspective that is.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »
Maybe in the future have "unarmed" gloves as well, that alter some things?
 ;)
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Kaerius

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:00:48 pm »
I for one is supremely annoyed that dirty kick doesn't work regardless of weapon or lack of it. It should probably just use your unarmed stats(what you'd have without a weapon) regardless of your equip(but of course counting in bonuses from boots/armor). Maybe double any applicable boot bonus?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 01:24:51 am »
I for one is supremely annoyed that dirty kick doesn't work regardless of weapon or lack of it. It should probably just use your unarmed stats(what you'd have without a weapon) regardless of your equip(but of course counting in bonuses from boots/armor). Maybe double any applicable boot bonus?

I'll probably change it around to work something like this. The problem when implementing it was that is was essentially a "weapon attack" (which is an attack with your current weapon; this includes the unarmed attack) so it had to use the current weapon stats and animations.