Author Topic: Beginning is too boring/hard  (Read 6812 times)

Nickboom

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Beginning is too boring/hard
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:11:59 pm »
Like the title says I find the beginning (including the first mission) to be very boring and just plain too hard. Your character gets no choice in what kind of weapon they want so melee built characters have to save up a lot of stuff to get a knife. Also healing items are really expansive for non combat ones which leads to having this long boring string where you go all the way back in the base to go heal not to waste a valued bandage. I would suggest to have some more items that could be sold for pure value. My final issue is that enemys always seem to get the first attack (i know about entering combat mode first) because even if you enter the mode before the enemies spot you you dont have much to use to attack them because their spotting range is the same as yours.

(Note i just finished the first mission so my opinions could totally be wrong but im loving the game so far.)

Railas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning is too boring/hard
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:52:08 pm »
It sounds to me that you may just need to get a bit more familar with the game. It is supposed to be hard so that you can be really happy about getting something like your first melee weapon. It is difficult but there is always a way to overcome the difficulty and when you finally made it it will feel like a great achievement. You can try looking for containers with money.  I think the locker in your starting room may contain enough money for a simple melee weapon. Apart from that you will be finding one, soon.
About the first attack, your visual range is slightly larger than the one of the enemy so you can start a battle first. You can also use stealth to get closer. However if you are playing melee you may want the rathounds to take the first turn because they just close up to you so you can smash their heads in. BTW, you can even punch them to death.
BTW, there are some hostile, weak humans in the lowest level of the subway station you start in. they carry mostly melee weapons and your starting pistol should be enough to kill one.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:55:30 pm by Railas »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:32:13 pm »
Nope, these enemies on the lowest level of the subway are too hard to kill on level one. In fact they carry grenades and might just toss one at you in the first round for an insta kill.

Now yes, the beggining of the game is a little bit harsh because the starting armor is frankly bad and there is no passive way to heal like in fallout. That said a well made character can do it with just 2 or 3 go backs for heal at most and not using any item for healing. Past that inicial harshness the game smooths a little bit though there are still incredibly hard challenges like for example, the GMS burrower cave. It's incredibly hard and nothing but the most optimised characters can do it right away after finishing the GMS compound... Also as a warning the place has absolutly no reward for doing it other than congratulations, you managed to do it anda  decent amount of XP out of the kills.

I struggled a lot in the beggining but when I started to optimise my starting build (of course there is a learning there) and started to learn how to better take the inicial difficulty on, I was able to do it somewhat easly.

Kaerius

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:28 pm »
You're not supposed to go there straight off the bat. Yes this game is open enough for you to run into things over your paygrade. Go talk to people in the base, pick up some missions, and do those. Don't immediately run off exploring too far off track. (Similarly you can take the boat to the junkyard, wander out the southwest entrance, walk up north and fight siphoners as your very first encounter. Not recommended).

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:03:05 pm »
first fight of the day, siphoners... I'm sure that would be amusing! However as entertaining of a thought that would be to see a total newb just go straight into those in the first play and be like, WHAT?! I'm sure every newb is as much of a cheapass as I am and the moment the guy asks you for money he'd go like. NOPE!

Nickboom

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:20:10 am »
Well I made it past the first mission and I am now on the 2nd story mission where your in that base with the fricken stun stun stun stun stun stun stun robots :< I cant beat it for the life of me. Hell I even restarted and put a fair number of points in stealth but that doesnt jack shit against cameras so all the robots just fricken find me anyways seriously if your not ment to do those missions I wish the game would give me some hints of where else to go.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:30:34 am »
Also you find the omni-tool on the first floor of the GMS but I prefer to kill the bots myself and you have several ways of doing so.

No weapon, at least the ones you start with will not do much against this bots since they have a good protection against attacks but here is the deal. Electric attacks do extremelly well so if you are a psiker, use electrokinesis on them, it even stuns them. Otherwise stun grenades and/or electro bolts for crossbows are your best friends.

The reason why I advise you to kill them is because hey, XP and loot... There are only 3 bots so it shouldn't be too hard if you are smart enough to fight them where there isn't security cameras and can kill them one by one.

Nickboom

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:48 pm »
See my problem is when I try to fight one all the others come right for me anyways. (and no i wasnt in range of a camera) Also why is there no other options you can only sneak through or fight them all but I see a perfectly good spot to have a computer or something to hack in to that shuts off the cameras.

Prophet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:49:46 pm »
You can always destroy those cameras.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:10:45 am »
That depends on where you fight them. if you go directly down from the stairs or elevator then yes, you'll probably face multip,e robos even if not seen by a cam, that is because of the patrol route. If a friendly nearby robot is engaging the nearby robots will help. If instead of going south you go right of the stair on the uppermost corridor you'll reach eventually a T shaped intersection. You comming from the left, on the right there will be a locked door and the passage down is patrolled by a robot. Ambush the robot at the T intersection when it moves into it. If you have stealth that is the better way to engage... Fight the robot there and you'll fight it alone. Only on the most extreme of cases does a second show up mid fight but savescumming will help you there. Now that lower passage opens into an O shaped room, the second robot patrols that room as well a the lower middle hallway. You can engage that robot nearly from the T shaped intersection and I advise you to do so, if needed provoke the robot and retreat there so it will come after you alone. Once you kill that one there is only one robot left patrolling the lower corridor.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 05:24:21 pm »
You can enter the camera room to study the patrol routes of the robots.
And now another lesson in exploiting game mechanics:
Run up to the camera, combat mode, fire crossbow, exit, again, dead.
Allows you to take it down with low numbers without it seeing you.
Of course you should beat it afterwards.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.