Author Topic: Checking out Expedition as permadeath pure psion. [ DOMINATING ]  (Read 15619 times)

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Checking out Expedition as permadeath pure psion. [ DOMINATING ]
« on: December 25, 2018, 07:18:04 pm »
Welp, Expedition has finally arrived, so it's high time fore another permadeath run.
Going in blind (Well, blind to the DLC content, anyway).
https://www.twitch.tv/ouroboroses
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:11:02 pm by Tamior »

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
After trying it out yesterday, let's see if I can get to the end of Depot A tonight (with 0 reloads).

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Thanks for taking the time to do this. It's interesting to see how the changes to the economy influence he early game in particular.

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Done and done.
The VOD is there to see ( https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354593722 ), highlights:

1) Got to the end of depot A in 5 hours 30 mins real time (about 40 mins longer than usual). ("The end of Depot A" means I have the drill part in my inventory and I'm an the exist from depot A, so I can go to core city (etc) as soon as I desire.)
2) Got there with 1 technical reload, and that only happened because I zoned out completely and did something VERY stupid. So effectively it would have been 0 reloads if I payed a tiny bit more attention.
3) Doors abused to escape from combat with robots/animals/beetles: zero. (Not even in the Newton warehouse was I forced to resort to such lowly tactics).
4) Siphoners still can't swim. I know it wasn't supposed to be part of the build, but I still find it REALLY questionable that siphoners can't cross water.
5) Force field is still overpowered as hell.

Now for the economy: it's really noticeable, but not really to the point where I had to alter my game significantly.

The actual effects are:
- couldn't  afford to buy psionic headband from Ezra early on
- no longer used boat to go to/from junkyard
- barely got enough cash to craft psionic vest before the newton warehouse
- consumables (adrenaline, etc) are now MUCH harder to afford
- needed to plan all purchases ahead to stay within budget, so no more "let's get this slightly better item just-in-case"
- quest rewards feel MUCH more impactful (about 4x more impactful, heh)

Now, I have to notice that I played as stealth tranquility psion.
This character is VERY light on consumables, but pretty heavy on initial investment into learning psi abilities. Quest rewards definitely give you enough to afford psionic training.
I am, however, not sure if psychosis psion build would not get REALLY tight on consumables given the fact it relies on psi booster to a MUCH higher degree.

P.S. Overall, I really like the changes to the economy. Makes me feel like starting with maxed out mercantile is now actually viable. The fact that these changes limits access to fast travel, however, is a bit... questionable.

P.P.S. As for food changes, everything looks really great, but I don't think they have had a major impact this early on for me (since I never relied on food buffs much previously). But it DOES feel like some on the new buffs will be VERY useful later on.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:30:03 am by Tamior »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
I've got a no-crafting gunslinger up to 16th since the new update.  It's still not bad when you don't really need money much; I've got 9k charons and I quit making merchant runs before finishing depot A.  I'm sure it'll be hellish on early-game crafters.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I think I'll do another quick run from the start, see how reproducible the result is in general and if starting with 20 effective mercantile will change things significantly.
Starting in a few minutes:  https://www.twitch.tv/ouroboroses
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:05:26 pm by Tamior »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Was fun to watch, especially psi-bug part, first attempt. :D
Minor thing - you can buy batteries from Jonas at reduced price, and you can take 1 battery from shelf near Harold, it's always there.
Also it would be more safe to use no armor or at least hopper leather armor for early stealth parts.
Instead of that meek dead body you have found, there could be really, really BAD things - I met them once.
So for no-saves playthrough you would probably want to use boat after all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:17:49 pm by Fenix »

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Also it would be more safe to use no armor or at least hopper leather armor for early stealth parts.
Stealth penalty from basic armor is pretty minor. I just see it as largely irrelevant.

Instead of that meek dead body you have found, there could be really, really BAD things - I met them once.
Pretty sure you can still see them BEFORE they aggro you (if you are careful).

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Well, time for another attempt. Starting in a few minutes.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Not minor if Agi score is low.
Also, yes you can see them before they detect you, but only if you ready.
If you not ready, you won't stop in time.
I mean Timon and Poomba or somehting liek that, lol nice couple.

You solved a problem with outpostsandsaved game, and next video you started anew - why?
edit: missed the beginning sorry.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:29:31 pm by Fenix »

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
You solved a problem with outpostsandsaved game, and next video you started anew - why?
I just feel like doing 3-4 restarts to see how the very early game (until GMS or so) handles in this experimental, and what can be further optimized.
The reason I'm so interested in early game is that it's the most RNG-dependent part and you also don't have the money to purchase all the necessary equipment.
I mean, so far I've established a way to get to lvl 5 before Newton warehouse with 0 reliance on oddities from critters, or to get the "knife" quest done at lvl 4 with little to no risk, thus getting a chance to buy good psionic headband, etc.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Btw you could try to steal fro electronics merchant from Junkyard - with stealthy gear and food it could be possible even yearly on, so maybe you could afford that early shield.
I think shelf closest to door is absolutely doable, and two next to guard is somewhat possible, at least one of them.
Also can steal coins form Kareem's bar, from footlocker and food. Can steal oddity at the entrance of Junkyard.

Also yeah, psychokinesis abilities are loud, so they attract enemies.
Without doors, maybe traps could help? Like good ol' bear traps.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:52:53 pm by Fenix »

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Yea, I guess grabbing the extra oddities in the junkyard is not a bad idea at all, thanks for the tip.

I also think it's probably a good idea to use 15 point on biology to get effectively infinite supply of adrenaline.

Aslo, time for another attempt. Starting in a few minutes.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
There are hidden oddities in game, explore your enviroment.
At least 3 of them in Foundry.
Take all - A.
To see your actual stealth score - C.

Dude your itemisation and inventory is полный пиздец really.
Pain to watch it. Tonns of junk, unsold loot...  :-[
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:46:30 pm by Fenix »

Tamior

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Dude your itemisation and inventory is полный пиздец really.
Pain to watch it. Tonns of junk, unsold loot...  :-[
Sorting the loot and going around selling it would take a pretty long time. Time that isn't very fun for me as a player and even less fun to watch.
So, basically, poor inventory management is the lesser of two evils for me.