Author Topic: Old Music  (Read 6029 times)

intensity

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Old Music
« on: December 19, 2015, 08:04:49 am »
First off - Congratrulations on releasing the game.

I was wondering what happened to the old music from the alpha/beta? I know it was placeholder, but it actually fit pretty well and really liked it. At first I did not like the new music at all, but it's been slowly growing on me. However, I still miss the old music. Any chance of bringing it back? Perhaps include it in a cycle or even just as an extra legacy ost... Would be nice.

Jamolotl

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Old Music
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:29:25 pm »
Gotta say I agree. The old music really reminded me of some of the dark ambient tracks Mark Morgan made for Fallout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWx8pCYfWE

Soler

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 08:38:25 pm »
I have only been exposed to the released music, but I must say that I love it. It really adds to the atmosphere. Makes me want to hear the old alpha music now :)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 09:35:29 pm »
Yeah, I miss one track too.

intensity

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:42:14 am »
Would a developer please reply? I'm really hoping these old tracks are ressurected.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 05:36:09 pm »
I miss a few of them as well, they were pretty good.

Now I regret not saving them when I had the chance.

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 10:58:41 pm »
some of the dark ambient tracks Mark Morgan made for Fallout.
Now this has really got me intrigued! If I could vote for this suggestion, I would. OSTs are great for when I'm working, or reading material of a compatible genre. GOG has the released UnderRail OST as one of the "goodies" and if the alpha OST could be added alongside it, from the sound of things that would be amazing.

A DIY approach would just be for anyone who played the alpha to (temporarily) install the game from their old alpha installer, configure Sounds to zero and Music to full, and set Audacity recording the audio as they play through each musically distinct region. It'd be a labour of love akin to screenshotting every map and stitching them together.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 01:01:15 am »
Hah, I got them.

There is still an alpha demo floating around the Internet, and music files are easy to access since they are  in .wma format.

Now I realized how much do I miss those old tracks, especially the old main menu theme.

I hope it's okay for me to upload them...

http://vocaroo.com/i/s00EX1rFaH16 (Used to play in areas like Buzzers Shop or Depot A, my 2nd favourite)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0UjT11Q2vEd (Old SGS/Junkyard theme)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1yOlWTDeRgP (I think it used to play in the mushroom cove and other water-y caves)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1QDj8RdksIh (Old caves music)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XJHUcgsZw4 (Old main theme, my favourite, I miss it so much)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:03:55 am by Tygrende »

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 06:57:35 am »
Thanks Tygrende@! Good to have heard a taster. I think those tracks would do well as a OST "B Side" tape.

So epeli@ do I understand it correctly that the original alpha music was the tracks you list under "Old drones"; the released music was the tracks you list under "New music"; and at the time people requested your patch, the late-alpha had partially transitioned some of its map zones' music from the "Old drones" entry to the "New music" entry?

Good job on putting together a patch for that particular userbase though. I guess an enthusiast would be able to pick up the torch and patch the Old Drones files into the current release version (I am guessing it is more involved than simply locating and renaming a bunch of files/resources).

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 01:24:40 pm »
I guess an enthusiast would be able to pick up the torch and patch the Old Drones files into the current release version (I am guessing it is more involved than simply locating and renaming a bunch of files/resources).
It's actually that simple.

But you also need to convert the files to .ogg, as the release version uses that format instead of .wma.

I was able to change the main menu music to the old version by simply converting the file to .ogg, copying it to the game files and renaming it to "MainOpener" and "MainLoop".

Keep in mind that if you want to do this, you will probably have to repeat the proccess after each hotfix. Also, make a backup of original files.

Here is the site I used to convert to .ogg (Audacity can't open .wma files because of patent reasons):
http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 12:54:29 pm »
Well, Styg mentioned in some topic about music track that didn't played at all, that it would be fixed. So next hotfix will touch this.

ShadowRun

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 10:43:18 pm »
Well, Styg mentioned in some topic about music track that didn't played at all
Do you mean Wrong Music? which addressed:
The music that plays in the Mushroom forest is called "MutagenTanks" in the game files while there is also one named "MushroomForest" that doesn't play anywhere in the game as far as I know.

Because tweaking a zone to play a different audio track that's already present in the game resources is what that thread is about.

Retrieving audio tracks that are no longer present in the game resources of the release version, and only shipped with alpha versions, is what this thread is about.

It'd be great if the game shipped with both music sets, and used a checkbox in the GUI to toggle between old and new music (defaulting to new) for those who like the old music for nostalgia reasons, or in specific maps.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 11:14:34 pm »
It was about this part.

Hotfixes won't touch the music files, so I don't think they'll be a problem unless you verify the entire game cache.

intensity

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 02:46:15 pm »
Damn, I know im nearly half a year late, but those tracks on covaroo no longer work. Anyone has them? I recently started playing again. :)

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »