Author Topic: What build for hard mode?  (Read 2744 times)

FlimFlamMan

What build for hard mode?
« on: November 29, 2016, 02:17:46 am »
Want to do as many stuff in game with one character (crafting, dialogue and skills). PSI don't need con unless build needs it. http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwGloJgVhBGUDsIDMdSvis3S2TcbPGYnEANiQBYIQqAOO8ipUt-M3WvECSK3s2SpkzKqCqooAhDHq0AnDAWMFCtN2CN4CoA is a build I made for my standards, but is it alright? Looks good on paper, but maybe not in game?

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: What build for hard mode?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 06:32:10 pm »
There's several things that seem awkward about this build to me. It might be winnable on Hard (very likely is) but it does not seem particularly strong.

Have you played the game on Normal yet? If you haven't, I recommend playing on Normal, not using too many spoilers, and learning the systems as you go along. Of course you can play how you like, but I think there's a lot of fun to be had in figuring out the systems for yourself by playing.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:34:35 pm by mattu »

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:16:37 am »
+1 the build is winnable but it would be VERY difficult.

There are some problems w/ your skill, for example: hacking 135 (125), 135 is actual skill and 125 is effective skill. With that out of the way here are some effective (not actual) skill thresholds (anything above would be a waste):

Hacking 135
    Lockpicking 130
    Traps 95
    Chemistry 112
    Biology 130

Your mechanics, electronics and tailoring are too low. Decent crafted gears requirement usually start around 120~ish and top out around 160, 170~ish depending on component quality.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:03:10 am by destroyor »

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:47:44 pm »
This build has similar-but-different weirdness as the previous build. Somewhat stronger, but still seems like a build from someone who hasn't played very much.

Dude, the game is fun. GO PLAY THE GAME.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 04:35:45 pm »
Ok, I'll play along.

The biggest thing wrong IMO is the heavy investment in melee with AGL 3 and no mobility feats, same as before. You are going to be burning up AP all the time trying to get close to things to smack them, which is wasteful and won't be fun. Or you will ignore all your investment in melee and rely on ranged psi instead, wasteful in a different way.

Going triple psi without taking the really good general purpose psi feats doesn't make much sense. This time you did get Locus of Control, which is good, but if you are playing triple psi and don't take Premeditation and don't go down either of Tranquility/Psychosis, something is probably wrong.

You are overinvested in crafting. 180s in crafting skills and . . . five crafting feats? I think this would be overinvestment for anybody--but it is definitely overinvestment for someone who doesn't understand the game mechanics yet.

You have other weird feat choices. Nimble doesn't make sense with 0/0/0 dodge/evasion/stealth. Snooping is of dubious value for anybody, but on a PER 3 character?

Feats are really important. They define your character at least as much as skills do. Choose them wisely. Building your character feat-first (heh) is a good way to design a character.

Your example char doesn't seem to have a clear concept, the pieces don't seem to fit together, and I don't think you'd have much fun playing it, especially not on Hard.

Here's two alternate pieces of advice for you.

1) Let go of designing a character top-down. PLAY ON NORMAL DIFFICULTY. Pick a primary offense type that sounds fun: guns, crossbows, melee, psi. Make sure your stat points make sense for that primary offense skill. Look over the feats for that offense type, take note of the reqs and keep them in mind as you level up, but don't try to plan out every detail of every levelup in advance. Build your character up level by level focusing first on your primary offense skill. Use your other skill points for defense, subterfuge skills, secondary offense, and crafting, whatever seems useful and fun. This is totally workable on Normal and it is fun.

or

2) Look at Underrail build recommendations, either here from Wildan and others, or there is a dude who posted several to YouTube. Pick one of these that sounds fun and just follow that build advice, either to the letter or very nearly. Make sure the guy seems to know what he's doing (read the comments) but this is likely to get you a new build that can do well playing on Hard.

That's what I got for ya, good luck.