Author Topic: I get slaughtered in combat...  (Read 6090 times)

hermanJnr

• Noob
    • View Profile
I get slaughtered in combat...
« on: October 04, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »
So I started a new game as a total rookie. Did all the early quests (armoury, shooting gallery, talk to the "mayor" etc.)

Anyway, I spoke to the shady guy in the cafeteria and he asked me to pick up a package for him. Needless to say, the three bandits that attack you in the alley are proving completely impossible to kill for me.

I built my character fairly balanced as far as I can tell, trading some Will, Perception and 1 point of Constitution for increased Strength and Intelligence, also picked up some Dex and Agility too. I figured I would develop my character into a sneaky melee type who could potentially craft some fancy gear too.

Anyway, this encounter gives me absolutely no chance to sneak past the guys, since they auto-spot me and initiate dialogue. Then they shoot me dead in one turn. If I initiate combat I can do about 1/4 of one guy's health bar in damage with my crappy pistol, then I immediately get mown down next turn.

It seems rather unfair to make the first combat encounter I have a fight with multiple guys armed with automatic weapons and a sledgehammer and also invalidate the only stealth advantage my character would otherwise have. I don't mind a game being hard, but it just feels a bit cheap.

I've also tried heading the other way into different tunnels, the end result is some gangster guys attack me and have a lot more firepower than even the "Bandits" in the other place :\

Any tips for actually being able to, y'know, do something early game? I bought nades after reading the boards, but I don't even get the combat turn to use them!

Kaerius

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: I get slaughtered in combat...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »
Save that quest and encounter for later. Do the other quests first(testing bolts on rathounds, restarting the power stations, catching hoppers).

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »
Don't do that quest first. The quest is close to impossible if you do it as your first quest (the stuff you do in the base I hardly consider them quests). Go do the outpost quests, along with finding the watch (you'll get the quest as you head out there) and the one to shoot the crossbow bolt into the rathound. After you complete those quests and basicly, clearn that whole part of the map which is small, you should have at very least an SMG and probably a grenade, if not you can either craft one or buy one, they aren't so expensive. Your third quest is going into the GMS compound (third becuse you'll get one to also catch hoppers which is not hard, mostly boring but I suppose it teaches you about hunting and stuff) and when you do, you do the package run since you head in the same direction.

I'll even give you a tip. There is a barrel on your right, stand to it's side and wait. Behind the enemies there are rathounds which will ocasionally come close to them and aggro on them so they will turn back and fight them. Then you walk to the metalic grades on the ground somewhat close to them and throw the grenade, a decent toss will start all 3 enemies at half health and so long as the rathounds are still alive they should keep attacking them until they are dead, worst case scenario is 2 of the 3 attacking you with rathounds still alive. At this point it should be pretty managable... If you have stealth and just don't want to fight (which I don't advise since you like loot and XP right?) then after the rathounds aggro them you can stealth behind them and enter that 2 square exit to the left, it takes you to the lower underail. Basicly it's just a sort of a large map but with narrow passages and multiple exits which are also scattered all through that piece of the map so you can bypass that fight entirelly. Of course that is only half a solution since you'll eventually need to come back and have to kill them anyway, by that time the rathounds will be dead to aggro them again so you stealth safely.

Lastly, not exactly a protip but if you put 1 point into every abillity then in my opinion, you're not well rounded, you're just bad at everything. My advice on character building is, at least 9 str for mellee type of guy, at least 9 perception for guns type of guy or at least 9 will for a psiker... You can then mess around with what you want to do relativelly to your other statistics, usually you can get away easly with getting one attribute at 3. As a psiker I do that to my strength because I can just use crossbows which require no strength to use and are cheap ammo, besides they don't really spend much ammo so it's a pretty cheap run so to speak. A gun guy can get away with 3 will easly as you don't need to delve into psionics. A mellee guy depends on how you wanna build it really.

shurplunk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 11:08:29 pm »
Yeah it does seem unfair at first, but sometimes it is, keep with it though. There are a couple of other quests via the guys in the SGS compound you should be doing first. Remember to report back to Hadrian after doing your shooting and such like, he'll tell you who to see next. You should level up a few times before fighting any humans. I also learned the hard way, balancing out all of my skill points, but found it more beneficial to start again and concentrate skill points on specific skills for a while, formulating a strategy/character. I found leaning towards a sneaky archer/hacker/thief (incrementing crossbow and stealth skills amongst others) to my benefit, leaving other disciplines like guns/throwing/traps for later in the game and not really bothering with psi until the endgame. There are many different ways to do it though, that's the beauty of this game, very well thought out. The ability to stun targets is a good thing, and this can be done using melee, bolts, throwing, psi, and/or a combination of more than 1......
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:13:00 pm by shurplunk »

Aralvar

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:50:29 pm »
I managed to slip past them into the tunnels on their left, but with low health. I've found this game requires a lot of restarting battles and hoping the enemies miss more and/or do less damage, and that you can score better hits. I came back to those same bandits you mentioned with a .44 Hammer and a 7.62 Jaguar with Aimed Shot around level 5 I think, and it still took me many tries to kill them all. I'm definitely not looking forward to starting over after the next update, boring quests and then impossible ones; heh. At least they're nerfing those bandits on the next update, but I'm guessing that also means worse loot from them.

shurplunk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:12:30 am »
Calling this game boring or impossible is tantamount to failure. In the game of course.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:18:03 am by shurplunk »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:43 am »
At best that fight needs a load if the grenade sccaters badly.

shurplunk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:50:22 am »
Indeed a load is required. And if you don't have one, go to the shop. Possible is lotts
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:51:57 am by shurplunk »

Aralvar

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:55:46 pm »
Calling this game boring or impossible is tantamount to failure. In the game of course.

Hardly. A lot of games are boring at the very beginning.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 06:38:27 pm »
Agree, but this is not one of them. It might at best be a little bit frustating at the beggining until you learnhow to build a character but that's as far as I'd go.

Sakirjaman

• Noob
    • View Profile
    • Nettoyage de Tapis  Montreal
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:04 am »
Don't do that quest first. The quest is close to impossible if you do it as your first quest (the stuff you do in the base I hardly consider them quests). Go do the outpost quests, along with finding the watch (you'll get the quest as you head out there) and the one to shoot the crossbow bolt into the rathound. After you complete those quests and basicly, clearn that whole part of the map which is small, you should have at very least an SMG and probably a grenade, if not you can either craft one or buy one, they aren't so expensive. Your third quest is going into the GMS compound (third becuse you'll get one to also catch hoppers which is not hard, mostly boring but I suppose it teaches you about hunting and stuff) and when you do, you do the package run since you head in the same direction.

I'll even give you a tip. There is a barrel on your right, stand to it's side and wait. Behind the enemies there are rathounds which will ocasionally come close to them and aggro on them so they will turn back and fight them. Then you walk to the metalic grades on the ground somewhat close to them and throw the grenade, a decent toss will start all 3 enemies at half health and so long as the rathounds are still alive they should keep attacking them until they are dead, worst case scenario is 2 of the 3 attacking you with rathounds still alive. At this point it should be pretty managable... If you have stealth and just don't want to fight (which I don't advise since you like loot and XP right?) then after the rathounds aggro them you can stealth behind them and enter that 2 square exit to the left, it takes you to the lower underail. Basicly it's just a sort of a large map but with narrow passages and multiple exits which are also scattered all through that piece of the map so you can bypass that fight entirelly. Of course that is only half a solution since you'll eventually need to come back and have to kill them anyway, by that time the rathounds will be dead to aggro them again so you stealth safely.

Lastly, not exactly a protip but if you put 1 point into every abillity then in my opinion, you're not well rounded, you're just bad at everything. My advice on character building is, at least 9 str for mellee type of guy, at least 9 perception for guns type of guy or at least 9 will for a psiker... You can then mess around with what you want to do relativelly to your other statistics, usually you can get away easly with getting one attribute at 3. As a psiker I do that to my strength because I can just use crossbows which require no strength to use and are cheap ammo, besides they don't really spend much ammo so it's a pretty cheap run so to speak. A gun guy can get away with 3 will easly as you don't need to delve into psionics. A mellee guy depends on how you wanna build it really.

great !!!!
Thanks
sakir Jaman