Author Topic: Feature - Aim better for more APs (JA2 Style) and targeting body parts?  (Read 6163 times)

wickedinsane

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Having  had my first extensive session with the game yesterday I thought that an option to use more APs for a better shot (like it is implemented in JA2 for instance) and the option to target certain body parts like head or legs would really rock!

davidp57

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Feature - Aim better for more APs (JA2 Style) and targeting body parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:59:27 am »
I agree, I'd like a targeting system

jimy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:33:47 pm »
There is already such thing: Aimed Shot.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:03:25 am »
As jimy suggested you'll be able to do this through special attacks, there's already a couple of those (aimed shot, kneecap shot, execute, snipe) and there will be more to come.

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:32:55 am »
Knee cap shot is definitely nice, but it seems like for now the options for dealing critical damage rely more on specific feats than on targeting crucial body parts. It would be really nice if you could knock someone unconscious, or blind them, or cripple their arms without having to rely on one of five feats.

It just seems more efficient if you have one feat that allows you to do a targeted aimed shot - but the percent chance of successfully hitting that person depends on your perception and skill with guns - or perhaps you can gain other feats that improve your accuracy in these regards. The traditional aimed shot could be accomplished just by targeting the enemy's torso.

Because as it is, its kind of just two different ways to deal critical damage with either aimed shot or snipe, except for kneecap shot (which only works for SMGs and pistols).  Keeping all those three shots in your quick options bar kind of takes up a bit of space, and I'm sure as you add more it'll take up even more space which would be inefficient and cumbersome.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 02:06:59 am »
I really like the way things are right now. I remember how in Fallout (especially the second one) I always shot my enemy in the eyes and blinding them, rendering them unable to hit me, which made combat super easy. A targetting system can easily be abused like that which is unfortunate.

With special feats and skills, it adds to the concept of choice, whether you want to disable your enemies legs in order to get away, or aim for extra damage to neutralize enemies faster, it adds to the gameplay and provide a certain degree of depth which I really like in RPGs.

Come to think of it, I would really love to see a feat that allow the player to make silent shots with crossbows that does not break stealth, because as it is right now, my crossbow stealth character can't kill enemies efficiently enough. These shots need long cooldowns though for them to balance.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 08:09:14 am »
Come to think of it, I would really love to see a feat that allow the player to make silent shots with crossbows that does not break stealth, because as it is right now, my crossbow stealth character can't kill enemies efficiently enough. These shots need long cooldowns though for them to balance.

I'm considering implementing some type of limited stealth combat in the future. Btw, I've improved the crossbow play significantly since the demo (http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=125.0) so using it as the main weapon should be viable in the future releases.

Spinewire

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:15 am »
I much preferred fallout 1/2's method of aiming at body parts, that imo was perfect, maybe not in it's execution but it could have easily be tweaked to make it less imbalanced. It was certainly the most satisfying. It would certainly require a lot more work to implemented though so I can forgive it not being put in and without the graphic descriptions that accompanied the combat it would lose some of it's charm. 

As for JA's aiming method it always felt a bit cheap to me when coming from fallout and I always viewed it as a slightly half arsed version. I would rather see whatever feat/skill based aiming they have got planned than something I loved done badly. Not that I think you (devs) are incapable of doing it but to make it perfect I don't think the juice is really worth the squeeze.

As long as you add a skill to shoot people in the crotch and drop them to the floor like a sack of spuds then I will be happy.... Having said that, that was probably was one of the many things that made aiming in  fallout so imbalanced.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 02:21:24 pm »
As long as you add a skill to shoot people in the crotch and drop them to the floor like a sack of spuds then I will be happy....

Does kicking do anything for you? Cause that's in. :)

Spinewire

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:46:38 pm »
Really? Hahaha awesome, yeah that will do nicely.