Author Topic: I just can't do stealth properly  (Read 1837 times)

MaxDucks

• Noob
    • View Profile
I just can't do stealth properly
« on: September 10, 2019, 11:24:21 pm »
I'm not blaming the game for this. I'm a total noob. Frankly, the fact that you can only see stuff in your direct line of sight makes sense. It's just that as soon as I turn the corner in the stealth tutorial, the camera instantly spots me. And then when I go behind a corner to get out of the camera's line of sight, the drone immediately follows me and finds me. Again, I'm not blaming the game here. I'm just afraid that it'll make my gameplay experience extremely frustrating if stealth is going to be a requirement. Does anyone have any tips or a general explaination of how I can do stealth properly?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: I just can't do stealth properly
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:31 am »
Well, stealth is never a requirement. You can absolutely stomp around the entire game shouting and banging the walls.  You'll have to fight more, and occasionally in less ideal situations, if you're never sneaky at all.  But you can absolutely just murderhobo through the game.

If you do want to do stealth, there are a few things to consider.  Some stuff has true sight, or machine sight - cameras, robots, and maybe one or two other special things, too.  This true/machine sight means that your stealth is useless.  You have to keep your distance so they don't notice you, or keep using LOS breaks like corridor turns.  Hiding in vents and behind closed doors is good juju, too.  Sometimes, you'll need to take out a mechanical enemy really quickly (notice how low the health is on those cameras?) then run to a good out-of-the-way place and hide until all the enemies come check out the poor exploded camera than get bored and go back to their patrols/loiter locations.  Then you can sneak by the living enemies.

High Agility will help but is not necessary for stealthy play.  The Interloper feat is very helpful but not necessary for stealthy play.  Tailoring and Electronics will help a lot, but they're not necessary.  What is necessary is a careful play style that understands that you're going to need to strike from the shadows and just maybe retreat right on back again, possibly several times in a row in some of the busier maps.

And of course, you can always just armor up and say forget about it, then shoot everyone in the face.  Ta-da! Role playing!

Exterminator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 07:37:38 am »
Cameras cannot instantly detect you. When they see you, they become "alerted" (yellow color). You become spotted only when you stay in the camera FOV for a few seconds more.

You can stealth past security bots if your stealth rating is high enough. Also you can wait till one comes close and burst it with W2C, or buy a tactical vest and facetank their low caliber rounds.

Ravager

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:30:44 am »
Styg did a good job making the stealth element (and other elements of the game) fairly instinctive.

Lurking around in the shadows is better for you than walking in the white light. And there are a lot of broken lights in Underrail, so lots of shadows.

Guards are more alert than most citizens. Walking stealthily while people are turned away, going another direction, or generally distracted is generally a good idea.

Robots, gun turrets, and strange creatures of the darkness are things to be avoided until you are ready to confront them.

Shooting people from the shadows is more effective, if you have certain feats.

Dumb animals are often pretty blind. Even if they start to see you, just walk away. It's organic, not so much pass/fail as happens with the tutorial.