Author Topic: Beetles found Newton on their own?  (Read 2074 times)

Twiglard

Beetles found Newton on their own?
« on: October 19, 2018, 11:55:35 pm »
In a new DOMINATING difficulty game, the Azuridae inside the 'save Newton" compound found him on their own and killed him. This is obviously a boon to me since I don't have to fight them all. But are they supposed to do this? Here's what I did:
  • Stealth, close doors
  • Kill initial azuridae
  • Reload weapons
  • Save game
  • Reload game, azuridae from behind the doors randomly go for Newton after few seconds
It's great not having to plan any cheese for that absurd fight!
Does the amount of azuridae in the compound scale with the player's level? Maybe I could enter the compound at level 2-3 to set it to that level?
Anyway I have no idea how non-psi low DEX builds can do that area.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Beetles found Newton on their own?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 12:45:49 am »
Interesting.  I did that recently on a new character and didn't have that result.

Number of beetles scales with difficulty, not player level.  Low-DEX non-psi builds with crafting can easily make a stealth set that will get them past the beetles, since psi beetles have very low detection.  Without crafting, and without stealth, you'd need to show up with several traps and grenades.  If you had an adrenaline, that would be even better, since you could open doors, throw grenade, and close doors all in one turn.  Incendiaries work well there, since as long as you open and close the doors on your turn so the beetles see you, they'll keep crowding around the door, even if they have to stand in fire to do it.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 03:14:15 am »
I've never had that happen and don't know why it would, but yeah, a bit of stealth (or just speed to get the door closed) and a bunch of bear traps/mines/caltrops and grenades on any trapped bugs.  I usually kill all the beetles before I ever really leave the first room.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Twiglard

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:45:20 am »
I'd really love to see how to kill the dominating Newton beetles with some build that's weak early. Thanks.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 11:21:01 am »
I'd really love to see how to kill the dominating Newton beetles with some build that's weak early. Thanks.

doors + molotovs

Twiglard

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 11:23:13 pm »
How many adrenaline boosts? Those damn beettles look like they need 4-6 each.
I'm strapped for cash and can't even begin any Junkyard quests. So it's roaming the walled-off section of the underground for loot and XP?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:25:09 pm by sthalik »

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:25:06 am »
sthalik

just buy like 10 bear traps from old Jonas

Place them in a circular pattern around the door in 2 layers.

Lure the beetles into the traps by entering combat mode, walking into their line of site, and then retreating behind wall.

Throw molotov on top of first beetles who are caught in trap.

I have reliably gotten through this part on dominating no death runs with this strategy even using builds that don't have a single point in throwing. The first 2-3 beetles get caught, the rest become confused and don't really move even though it looks like they can bypass their caught brethren, and you just can sort of just wait to lose attention or they all die in bear traps/flame dots.

Good luck playing games!