Author Topic: crafting of rifles and shields are useless  (Read 14083 times)

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: crafting of rifles and shields are useless
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 01:55:37 pm »
Or you can just munch on Junkyard Surprise utill you get +2 INT.

X41823T

• Zoner
  • Psionic scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 01:57:26 pm »
Now pardon me for being frank by saying this but "Crafted rifles/shields are useless"?

That's simply not true.
"We don't have to dream that we're important" ~ Robert House, CEO of RobCo.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 02:12:08 pm »
Or you can just munch on Junkyard Surprise utill you get +2 INT.
Do the temporary bonuses count for feat requirements?

Because 5 INT is fine for crafting itself, it's about the feats. And only about a few of them because sadly most of them are not worth the investment.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 05:27:39 pm »
Now that we are at it. What crafting feats do you recommend? I inted to craft weapons/armor mainly.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 05:33:49 pm »
Power Management is the best crafting feat imo if you have elctronics. 35% more capacity on energy shields is basically 35% more health.

Gun Nut is pretty weak, not worth the INT investment on it's own, but if you already have 7 INT to get other feats you might as well take it on builds that are not too feat-hungry.

Weaponsmith is good I guess.

Armor Sloping is good if you want to use anything with metal plates and keep your armor penalty as low as possible.

Ballistics is too weak to mean anything, a waste of feat.

Clothier/Skinner are a flat increase in cloth/leather quality and that's always good.

Disassemble is very convenient. I can't imagine looking for new mods every time I find a marginally better frame.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:08 pm »
Power Management is the best crafting feat imo if you have elctronics. 35% more capacity on energy shields is basically 35% more health.

Shields ... and that's it. Die-faster-to-EMP-nades Management increases energy cap for all electronic devices but is good only for shields. You're not the first person to mention only shields when saying how good Die-faster-to-EMP-nades Management is. It used to be better for everything else (35% cost reduction) but got nerfed for reasons unknown to me. It would be "35% more health" if your max HP was 1, but it's more than that. Also, damage that goes against HP is reduced by armor while damage going against shield is not.

Die-faster-to-EMP-nades Management is quite useful for energimp pistols IMHO. It won't eliminate their reloading problems, mind you, but will at least reduce them.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:25 pm »

Shields ... and that's it. Die-faster-to-EMP-nades Management increases energy cap for all electronic devices but is good only for shields. You're not the first person to mention only shields when saying how good Die-faster-to-EMP-nades Management is. It used to be better for everything else (35% cost reduction) but got nerfed for reasons unknown to me. It would be "35% more health" if your max HP was 1, but it's more than that. Also, damage that goes against HP is reduced by armor while damage going against shield is not.

Die-faster-to-EMP-nades Management is quite useful for energimp pistols IMHO. It won't eliminate their reloading problems, mind you, but will at least reduce them.
How many times do you fight with enemies using EMPs? Like maybe twice in whole game, and only if you give them enough time to throw them? It's hardly an issue.

It's also convenient on night vision goggles, since the low-energy ones tend to run out during longer fights.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 09:26:45 am »

Gun Nut is pretty weak, not worth the INT investment on it's own, but if you already have 7 INT to get other feats you might as well take it on builds that are not too feat-hungry.

Weaponsmith is good I guess.

Armor Sloping is good if you want to use anything with metal plates and keep your armor penalty as low as possible.

Ballistics is too weak to mean anything, a waste of feat.

Clothier/Skinner are a flat increase in cloth/leather quality and that's always good.

Disassemble is very convenient. I can't imagine looking for new mods every time I find a marginally better frame.

Thanks a bunch!

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 11:32:15 pm »
Do the temporary bonuses count for feat requirements?

Because 5 INT is fine for crafting itself, it's about the feats. And only about a few of them because sadly most of them are not worth the investment.

For the purpose of qualifying for a feat or psi ability it's always the base stat/skill value that counts and I'm glad that's the case. I find it a bit silly when some games allow you to use temporary boosts for permanent character bonuses. Even Fallout 2 was highly exploitable this way.

I think that Underrail should have a sort of "Jack of all Trades" feat that gives your dump stats (value 3) a +1 bonus as long they don't get raised above 3 by any other means, neither permanetly through level up nor temporarly via gear, food, etc. The main idea is to offset the 10% penalty for skills related to stats with only 3 points.