Author Topic: A question about vision and weapon ranges  (Read 6499 times)

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
A question about vision and weapon ranges
« on: November 04, 2015, 05:28:08 am »
I bought the game a while ago (seems very promising! ;) ) and just now started playing, and one thing that strikes me as odd is the low vision range, only 13 tiles. I'm yet to leave the starting area, but I've been reading the wiki and searching the forums, and so far I haven't found any mention of vision range or ways to improve it. Can it be increased? And since sniper rifles have a max range of 20 (this is in tiles, correct?), how are you going to take advantage of it if there's no way to see nearly as far?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:30:26 am by Hazard »

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: A question about vision and weapon ranges
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:49:49 am »
Try Night vision goggles or flares. Darkness does affect your to-hit chance.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:52:56 am »
I'm not talking about chance to hit, but the distance at which you can actually spot a character or critter. Even in the well lit areas of the South Gate Station you can't see anyone beyond 13 tiles.

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:34:00 am »
I'm not sure if the range is in tiles or not now that I think of it, but there aren't any modifiers in the game that change that vision range.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 04:40:36 am »
While movement in combat is clearly possible on a finer scale, after some quick testing it does look like ranges are listed as tile-length units. On a straight line and with a pistol, I can't attack beyond 10 tiles without moving closer.

But a weapon class with 7 tiles of useless range seems like a pretty weird design decision... unless I'm simply missing something obvious.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:11:36 pm »
Is the effective range directly determined by the weapon's maximum range (a set percentage, for example)? If that's the case, I can see why the max range would be so much higher.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 02:32:21 pm »
Another kinda weird situation just popped up. I'm ten tiles away from an enemy, a scoped Hornet and .44 Hammerer with a laser sight equipped. The Hammerer has 77% chance to hit, and the Hornet has only 69%. Why exactly is the rifle less accurate here? The laser sight gives a little more precision than the scope, but the enemy is inside the effective range for the AR, while for the pistol it's at the maximum possible range. Minimal skill requirement for the rifle is 50, but I have way more than that, so I don't quite understand what's going on here.

Apologies for double post, but with the forum being as quiet as it is currently I thought I might get an answer faster.

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 07:59:31 pm »
Did you move before targeting the enemy? Assault Rifles suffer from a slight move and shoot penalty while pistols do not. Maybe that's the difference.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 07:03:22 am »
No, I didn't. I double checked that with a fresh turn, and there was no change in hit percentages.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 08:28:25 am »
Now that's an interesting question.
I have no idea, admittedly. Maybe some environmental modifier affecting the weapons differently?
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 02:19:18 am »
I'm bumping this, because I'm still seeing these same accuracy inconsistencies in the release version. A pistol being more accurate than an AR at ten tiles without any clear reason doesn't seem right. If Styg or anyone else could clarify the accuracy formulas a little, I'd be grateful.

Aralvar

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 11:04:17 am »
I'm bumping this, because I'm still seeing these same accuracy inconsistencies in the release version. A pistol being more accurate than an AR at ten tiles without any clear reason doesn't seem right. If Styg or anyone else could clarify the accuracy formulas a little, I'd be grateful.

I'd like to know what's going on with as well this before I start playing again, since this could have a big impact on gameplay.

Kendov

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 12:17:38 am »
One thing that also really annoys me about the vision Range is that you are the only one affected by this. all enemies, especially hostile snipers can shoot at you from beyond your vision range, which means that you sometimes can't even know from where they shoot at you unless there is a definite direction of combat. normally one can rely on having all possible enemies within the field of vision, but some enemies break the rules like that