Author Topic: Smart Modules on ARs and SMGs now useless?  (Read 3274 times)

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Smart Modules on ARs and SMGs now useless?
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:51:55 am »
Smart Modules may not be quite as pointless as Extended Magazines, but not by much, IMHO. Assault Rifles have only three feats/special attacks that benefit from the damage boost, Aimed Shot, Rapid Fire and Point Shot. SMGs have one more, in the form of Kneecap Shot, but SMGs are so thoroughly focused on burst fire that there's very little reason to not build around that. With ARs you can go for single shots, but in that case you want to maximize your critical hit chance and damage, which means using one of the crit scopes and a Rapid Reloader on a 9mm Chimera.

So, is there really any reason to take a Smart Module on ARs and SMGs, instead of a more useful attachment?

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Modules on ARs and SMGs now useless?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:56:16 am »
Yeah removing the damage boost on SMG's is pretty harsh. I was using Smart Module and Goggles for quite a few levels until I stumbled upon the nerf in the wiki. Maybe it's my playstyle but I didn't find SMGs to be overpowered.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:34:12 am »
If you like Kneecap shot and rapid fire, i guess you can for example wield dual SMGs, one of them for burst and the other for special attacks with smart module.

But yes, in most case you won't need smart module for those weapons.
I'm Potoldski on discord

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:46:38 pm »
There really isn't right now, maybe if Rapid Fire got buffed.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 02:49:39 pm »
So, is there really any reason to take a Smart Module on ARs and SMGs, instead of a more useful attachment?
No, and I want to know what the optimal fit is now.

Muzzle device + Laser? Rapid Reloader? There are also reports that Forward Grip adds more burst precision than Laser...

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 03:30:18 pm »
Is there an absolute answer ?

Muzzle + Rapid will be optimal in a majority of cases i think, especially if you don't have full auto.

If you have full auto, want to save some ammo and be able to burst from a longer distance, rapid + forward grip can be good. But it will still be less powerful than muzzle at point blank range, unless maybe against high evasion ennemies.

Muzzle + forward grip : if you calculate that you don't need the AP reduction in you specific build, or for secondary SMG, that's the way to go.

Forward grip adds more burst precision than laser sight.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:43:14 pm by Ploluap »
I'm Potoldski on discord

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 05:53:22 am »
Always Rapid Reloader... 16 or 18 AP vs 20 or 22 (I only have 10 base dex) can save your life. I dual wield SMGs, very handy to avoid reloading and I can wear the Doctor's Bag instead of the bullet belt. On my 8.6 I go with compensator for long range situations, muzzle on the 7.62 for close range killing power. Only 20 rounds on a Steel Cat so I don't use Muzzle for that one, it's my burst sharpshooter, so to speak.

Gr8jak

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:18:53 pm »
Well for ar, i think the future is anatomically aware scope (+50 crit damage) and muzzle brake + critical power (on both ar-s mentioned). 7.6 mm hornet (33ap to burst) in main hand and 9.0 chimera in offhand for free bursts and nice aimed shots (16ap aimed shot), while rapid fire would be used with 7.6 hornet (16 ap rapid fire), or you could always throw a grenade (15 ap). Seeker lense ofc, and full auto for 9 bullets, even more buttrape then b4, or just as same.

and therefore id like to link yet another build for expedition,  full op combat assault rifle build. +5 extra expedition feats i would put in are critical power, commando, concetrated fire, gun nut, power managment.
Full super steel armor with specialization in armor sloping, and you got yourself a walking god.
Only con for this build is no ease of life skills like lockpicking and traps, but its managable (you could drop a little dodge, but why). Combat wise, well your a god.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQgDCgMMAwfCh2MAAMKHwod2AAAAAHZmSj1nAAAAAAAATyQmKDEBRTk7AhVBW0c
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:53:52 pm by Gr8jak »