Author Topic: Requesting pistol build from Wildan  (Read 25639 times)

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Requesting pistol build from Wildan
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:54:44 pm »
(Or how to be an annoying pest for poor Wildan  :P)

I am asking for this particular build because I am quite intrigued about pistol viability when compared to SMGs after latest v1.0.1.10.

IMHO SMGs are way better than pistols, but I just want to find a viable pistol build (I know it can be done).

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting pistol build from Wildan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/558746995146941813/#p2

Here he posted two pistol builds. But that was other patch so it's not up to date.

Whats left? "Unarmed build from Wildan" or "Thrower build from Wildan" ? :P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:02:52 pm by Eldakar »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:35:57 pm »
Thank you very much. Interesting read.  8)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:07:28 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/558746995146941813/#p2

Here he posted two pistol builds. But that was other patch so it's not up to date.

Whats left? "Unarmed build from Wildan" or "Thrower build from Wildan" ? :P
That would make sense. Both options got nerfed so we need an expert to tell us how to make them viable.
Pistols apparently were not nerfed enough in the past :o

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 05:35:55 am »
Doing fine so far. I am level 6 and I have arrived at GMS Compound.

Starting stats:

STR 6, DEX 9, AGI 6, CON 3, PER 10, WIL 3, INT 3

Starting feats: Gunslinger and Recklessness
Progression feats: Opportunist, Steadfast Aim, Aimed Shot.

I plan on getting Sharpshooter ASAP.

Right now I have made a custom made 5mm Neo Luger and I also have got a .44 hammerer with 31% hit chance (seeker goggles).
I intend to invest in crafting so I increased INT to 4 at Level 4 (intending to increase it at least to 6, then all points to DEX).

From here, I am not sure on how to proceed, specially for crowd control (I might be getting Quick Tinkering soon, Grenadier or both).

I will also be investing heavily in electronics to create some nice electroshock/high crit plasma pistols and some shields. I also intend to craft some smart .44 hammerer and/or smart 9mm Falchion to increase crit chance/bonus. That's why I am wearing seeker goggles instead of smart ones.

Opinions are welcome.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:27 am »
You probably want to check

http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dexterity

to see how many attacks you get per dex to figure out what pistol is best.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 03:54:53 pm »
I think chart is not updated yet for new patch.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 04:30:01 pm »
Well it is.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 07:23:15 pm »
Ugh... not good. It lost all the finesse of the old table.

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:43:48 pm »
So with gunslinger and rapidreloader to fire three times with .44 hammerer you need 14 dex.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 06:41:59 am »
Does anybody know if stunning a foe with a electroshock pistol counts for the execute feat to trigger? I haven't got it yet but I am still missing the "hitman" achievement.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 10:43:12 am »
You mean on the same shot that stun target?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:32:58 pm by Fenix »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:00 am »
No. You stun it first and then use another weapon for Executing.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 08:48:30 pm »
Actually there are quite a few players that have more experience with pistols than me as I haven't played with them since the dec release for I was disappointed how much they got nerfed. Still, the recent DEX bonus change didn't hit the (firearm) pistols as hard as it hit SMGs so I'd say compared to the rest of the light weapons, pistols are actually a viable choice now (Gunslinger got back to -3 AP). Only thing I wish would happen is dropping the STR requirement from Steadfast Aim to make Hammerer pistols a better choice than they are now. To me pistols are weapons that instead of relying on pure stopping power exploit enemy weaknesses (critical hits) and a critical damage pistol builds seem rather underwhelming nowdays. Wasting 3 STR only for that feat is too much, at least for the firearms.

Anyway, as for the recommended build I think the most important thing is to exactly plan ahead how many pistol shots will you be able to fit in. A smart, rapid 9mm Neo Luger is still the best choice. The 25 AP cost gets down to 20 with rapid reloader. Before the recent patch, with this pistol you could get down to 8 AP per shot @ 17 DEX (-48%) and Gunslinger (-2 AP). Now fastest is 9 AP @ 17 DEX (-36%) and Gunslinger (-3 AP). It's much better to aim for 10 AP @ 16 DEX as 9 AP won't give you a single extra shot (even if you take Point Shot and Rapid Fire into account). For the secondary weapon I'd recommend the amplified Electroshock Pistol because it gets down to 20 AP per shot @16 DEX (Gunslinger doesn't apply), so you will have easy time chosing the attacks as the AP cost can always be divided by 5 and you can use all of your available AP:
20 AP for Electroshock Pistol
10 AP for Neo Luger
15 AP for Rapid Fire or Execute (Neo Luger)
5 AP for Point Shot (Neo Luger)
10 AP for reloading (or 2 AP with the bullet strap belt so you can reload both weapons in one round for 4 AP. If you don't need to reload often it's better to equip the doctor belt instead.)

Remember that 16 DEX is earliest possible at level 22 (15 DEX + eel sandwich) so until this point it's probably a good idea to additionally carry a quick 7.62mm pistol. I'd actually recommend to stay at 15 DEX, rely on the eels for 16 and invest the last stat point in PER. At level 24 when you finally have 15 DEX, 6 AGI and 7 INT you will only have enough points for 9 PER. It doesn't matter though, Neo Luger has a 5% precission bonus and 10 PER would only be needed for Sharpshooter which is a poor choice here anyway. Neo Luger has weak criticals and you should try to make all your Aimed Shot special attacks with the Electroshock Pistol. To boost the critical damage you will take the Practical Physicist feat instead and craft the pistol with the circular wave amplifier.

Skillwise it should be pretty easy to distribute as you have plenty of points left even for high traps and throwing skill (Flashbang is great to open up for execute if you don't have enough AP for Electroshock Pistol).

For a firearms critical damage pistol build Steadfast Aim just doesn't seen to be worth it thanks to 6 STR requirement and only 0.5% increase for every base AP point. For a RR Hammerer it's just 12%. Not that great, and if you take Steadfast Aim can't have all - high DEX, 10 PER, and 7 INT. I'd dump INT in this case.

As an alternative you could entirely go for energy weapons as there is least resistance against it in the Underrail but now because of the DEX nerf you need whopping 17 DEX to fire the plasma pistol twice the round. But in order to keep Sprint go for : 6 STR, 15 DEX, 6 AGI, 6 PER, 7 INT and make use of Point Shot.
With Practical Physicist an amplified plasma pistol can do 500+ % of critical damage and Steadfast Aim gives you another 20% critchance so +crit googles are the better choice here, for firearms it's still the smart ones. For a secondary weapon it's probably best to take a laser pistol. It's still pretty quick to finish all the weak enemies (at 17 DEX you fire it for 5 times with 70 AP).

It could also pay off to dip into Psychokinesis PSI for free premeditated Electrokinesis stuns (great for Execute). One other useful PSI related feat would be Psychostatic Electricity to bump your critical chance even further. You can also craft and consume focus stims to get very, very high. I believe that you can get the critchance over 80% if you exploit everything you can. Still the question is how does it compares to other builds. DEX nerf was pretty heavy on plasma pistols. For 25 AP shots 14 DEX was enough, now you need 3 more. I hope to see Gunslinger working with energy and chemical pistols one day.
Still I think this build is very fun to play even if not the easiest one.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:55:57 pm by Wildan »

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 06:21:55 am »
Thank you very much Wildan. Really appreciated.

What I am seeing here is that my current pistol build is totally different than yours (I went the "steadfast aim" way, so I am suffering in the crafting department). it also seems there are several viable pistol builds (not surprising).

To be honest I am trying very hard to love pistols but I still prefer my Sniper/SMG build than anything else. Pistols still seem underwhelming for me, even with recent nerfs to SMGs. On my SMG playthrough I did both the Arena (invictus) and Gauntlet without any troubles (I am now fearing facing the same with pistols, as this pistol build doesn't have any backup weapon [probably getting a sniper rifle ASAP]).

One issue I have on my current pistol playthrough is that overall damage from normal pistols (not energy ones) doesn't seem to be that good when compared to SMGs found/crafted at same level (8) and pistols still require a lot more AP to shoot. .44 hammerer seems quite "hit and miss" (it gets a lot better with "rapid fire" though), but still....

Another issue that is killing me is the brutal randomness for crafting materials in the game. I mean both for random loot and in merchants inventories. I am level 10 I think and I haven't come across any Falchion frame yet nor rapid reloaded either. This quite defeats the purpose on crafting but I don't want to whine too much... XD