Author Topic: Different weight of ammo?  (Read 4545 times)

Ivan Bajlo

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Different weight of ammo?
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:19:46 pm »
At the moment all rounds have the same weight so besides price there is little point in using 5mm weapon instead of bigger like 9mm.

Different ammo weight would give more incentive to stick with 5mm SMG for much longer before upgrading to assault and sniper rifles.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Different weight of ammo?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:13 pm »
While different weight for ammos would indeed be logical. Do you really think anyone would stick on a lower weight ammo weapon? I belive everyone would still go for the better weapons because what matters for most people is killing effectively.

On another point while weight could make a difference I'm sure that at the beggining you will not have any problems with weight, this will probably come after GMS and since there wouldn't be any weight problems in th beggining, the different weight of ammo to make people want to stick to a weaker weapon for longer would be null since it wouldn't matter anyway and to do GMS you need better than 5mm, even more so after that so at the end of the day I doubt there would be a rason for anyone to stick to weaker weapons even if the ammo weighted less.

Ivan Bajlo

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:34:09 am »
While different weight for ammos would indeed be logical. Do you really think anyone would stick on a lower weight ammo weapon? I belive everyone would still go for the better weapons because what matters for most people is killing effectively.

On another point while weight could make a difference I'm sure that at the beggining you will not have any problems with weight, this will probably come after GMS and since there wouldn't be any weight problems in th beggining, the different weight of ammo to make people want to stick to a weaker weapon for longer would be null since it wouldn't matter anyway and to do GMS you need better than 5mm, even more so after that so at the end of the day I doubt there would be a rason for anyone to stick to weaker weapons even if the ammo weighted less.

Well there are those annoying critters which keep respawing in certain places for which 5mm SMG is more then enough so low weight of 5mm would make it much better option for neutralizing them then wasting more expansive ammo types.

0,04 weight - 12.7mm

Since this is basically 0.50 cal it should probably be at 0,05 or maybe even higher, single shot from sniper rifle can kill most problems in your path.  8)

Also remember that dexterity reduces the AP cost of light weapons (additive -4% per point of dex above 5) in the latest version, so they are a little bit more useful than they used to be. If you like spray and pray style fighting, a high-quality 5mm SMG might just be the thing for you. :P

I missed that one, now where did I put my Jackrabbit Tactical XM... Now Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm off to hunt some wabbits I mean rathounds. :D

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 01:58:07 am »
True there are weaker enemies that don't need really strong weapons to deal with but then again you have to think that you're carrying additional weapons and addictional lesser weighty ammo just to deal with them and you end up getting more weight than just your assault rifle and your sniper along with ammo for it. Also if you just use the assault rifle even to deal with lesser crits it'snot really that much fo a waste... Course I like Psi play the most so ammo costs are about the same to me... Or I can just use the crossbow which all bolts cost the same.

Ivan Bajlo

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »
5mm SMG are pretty light and in combination with lighter ammo which you can then carry in larger amount would make nice cheap alternative to assault rifles.

Bolts weight 0,05 (or 0,1 for special bolts) also crossbows are not really lightweight and I don't recall them heaving burst fire capability what would be the main reason for 5mm SMG, AP cost is also higher, so they are even more limiting then 5mm for weaker enemies, crossbows look to me more like alternative path to sniper rifles especially in combination with special bolts which can have some really nasty effects which is why my 'metal armor sniper' first takes out enemies with crossbows since they seem to do much more damage then all other types of enemies (beside other metal armor snipers).

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 04:18:40 pm »
The only reason I like crossbows is because they don't have a strenght requirement so my psi user which goes at STR 3 can use it effectivelly. Also the shocking bolts is not only against bots, but it stuns which adds the utillity.

Ivan Bajlo

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »
The only reason I like crossbows is because they don't have a strenght requirement so my psi user which goes at STR 3 can use it effectivelly.

Not sure how modern crossbows work but I believe there should be some strength involved unless we got a model with some sort of mechanism mechanical or electric (more use for batteries!).

Also the shocking bolts is not only against bots, but it stuns which adds the utillity.

I know, got zapped plenty of times while carelessly rushing forward even got set on fire once - that is why crossbowmens are my primary targets!  :D

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:47:07 am »
I don't feel crossbows need to get a str requirement because quite frankly if everything starts having them then making a low strenght character is not an option.

As for SMGs... I find them meh, maybe it's just my experience but 2 bursts of a weapon that deals very little damage is still very little damage while a crossbow deals significant damage to most of the things + the utillity side of it.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:34:39 am »
I guess ammo weight could vary depending on caliber.

Don't worry, there won't be any changes to the crossbows. ;)