Author Topic: History and Lore  (Read 6376 times)

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
History and Lore
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »
I understand that you are working hard on the technical aspects of the game right now. But I've been thinking some about the potential of lore in this game, the setting and area that the game takes place in makes my storytelling fingers itch. It's very similar to Fallout and those game are filled to the brink with interesting lore, people, places, beasts and history, tragedies and triumphant events (albeit somewhat trivial ones).

And that brings me to my question: Will the game, as far as you can tell Styg, be heavily generous with lore (books, computer documents, dialogue, notes, examination etc) or will most of the actual lore be shared through quest dialogues? And how much do you plan on expanding the universe and lore?

// Overly enthusiastic player

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: History and Lore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:55:46 pm »
Initially I wanted to have stuff like electronic documents and journals in the game and I did write the code for that. But as I started producing content, I realized that even just writing dialog was a lot of work and that I wouldn't have time for more narration feeds so I cut it all out. So in short - narration will mostly be done through dialog.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »
Did you consider asking people to write short storie to publish in your game? In form of journals, memos, etc? Maybe after new build and few more areas will be uncovered? Also it would make naming NPCs more fun if afterwards there was an option to read their memos, e-mails and even last will.

I for once would be all for doing such volounteer work ;).

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:24:41 pm »
That would require some sort of reference point in the shape of lore, doesn't it? I can imagine that the stories need to have some sort of connection the game, its areas and history. And as it is right now, there's not too much to talk about (from what I've seen). But Styg is certainly holding on a lot of lore that we haven't seen or read yet that could be of use.

But then, I'm getting ahead of myself here. :P

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:49:00 pm »
Yeah, that is why I wrote:

Maybe after new build and few more areas will be uncovered?

For now there are a bits here and there. Still as of now naming NPCs in metro base and creating stories about people is pretty much doable. Of course it would make much more sense to wait for a bit more world overview :).

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:58:59 pm »
Oh sorry, I must have missed that sentence :P

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »
Did you consider asking people to write short storie to publish in your game? In form of journals, memos, etc? Maybe after new build and few more areas will be uncovered? Also it would make naming NPCs more fun if afterwards there was an option to read their memos, e-mails and even last will.

Hmm, I'll have to think about this. Maybe once I get more of the world lore structure down. I haven't even talked much about the main factions. It's not a bad idea overall, though. :)