Author Topic: Psychosis vs Tranquility  (Read 11552 times)

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Psychosis vs Tranquility
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:29:05 pm »
Just wondering what people here think works better for Normal difficulty. Nerd Commando (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxG64b5SH_o) recommends Tranquility but he's taking 10 CON on his Psion for the feat that sets health to max for two turns. I'm a little conflicted, for several reasons:

1) I don't have 10 CON
2) I think crit on demand (Psycho Mania) would be pretty potent for finishing fights before they even properly start
3) I'm on Normal, not Hard

Is anyone far enough into the game with a Psion to weigh in on this?

Thanks.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Psychosis vs Tranquility
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:21:06 am »
Well, before the release I got pretty far, and I picked tranquillity.
In case you need spike damage, there are combinations to use, like psychokinetic stream with a high capacity/ low dissipation shield generator. Use adrenaline if you really want to wreck someones day. You can also use heal items to get a bonus for a turn, and the lower cost does afford some flexibility.
So it is definitely possible, no opinion on what is better.
Note: I didn't use the new abilities from release yet. They may or may not benefit Psychosis more.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Keydim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:13:03 am »
Well  i took  Tranquility  it let you fire more psi  and with thermodynamicity  i take everyone before it come near me (on hard mode)
additional there is feat premeditaition wich give you another  free atack ! 
Psi are killing machines (i am at the beginning , hope later there is more stronger enemys , because it boring , trying to switch to traper style )  :o

Crit chance relay on luck and Traquility give you exact more control over battle . Luck is a bit** in real life as well !
Moreover  PSI dmg scale with skill so crit chance not realy neccesery 

CookingManatee

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:34:22 pm »
I haven't tried tranquility yet but overall I feel psychosis suits my playstyle. Use psychic mania and premeditation with tk punch and watch someone get deleted off the map. Invest in crafting skills and have your headband focus on critical damage and lower psi costs and I'm always shocked by my damage potential. For even more fun get telekinetic proxy and you'll be punching double. The damage is insane. Tranquility looks great but keeping your health full is tough for some fights and even with their higher psi pool in a few turns of spamming they'll need a booster just the same as I would

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:47:23 pm »
Update - I've briefly tried both options (played up to GMS/Junkyard with both) and I think I prefer Tranquility because you can really frontload the damage or disables with lower ap cost/more PSI. Health isn't that much of an issue, there are hypos everywhere and regen while you're in the green zone helps a lot as well. I'll probably stick with it for now and keep Psychosis for a different playthrough.

Keydim

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:16:37 pm »
Update - I've briefly tried both options (played up to GMS/Junkyard with both) and I think I prefer Tranquility because you can really frontload the damage or disables with lower ap cost/more PSI. Health isn't that much of an issue, there are hypos everywhere and regen while you're in the green zone helps a lot as well. I'll probably stick with it for now and keep Psychosis for a different playthrough.

Like i said   Tranquility + Thermodynamicity = Killing machine   :P

Hopefully you wan't be wreckend later in the game (i dumped my psion so have no clue) ,
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:18:08 pm by Keydim »

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:35:47 am »
I've kinda dumped my psion too lol. Not because it was bad, on the contrary - it was spectacular in combat, but I just missed stealth so much that I've temporarily switched to a stealth/traps/crossbow build.

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 12:35:56 pm »
I'm using psychosis; didn't try the alternative yet. For a thought control build it works well enough.
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 07:59:34 am »
Just wondering what people here think works better for Normal difficulty. Nerd Commando (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxG64b5SH_o) recommends Tranquility but he's taking 10 CON on his Psion for the feat that sets health to max for two turns. I'm a little conflicted, for several reasons:

1) I don't have 10 CON
2) I think crit on demand (Psycho Mania) would be pretty potent for finishing fights before they even properly start
3) I'm on Normal, not Hard

Is anyone far enough into the game with a Psion to weigh in on this?

Thanks.

Las Stand is not as good as it looks. It effectively gives you one more turn to finish combat, not two.

Why?
Your HP is reset in current turn and is reduced to 1 at the end of your next turn. Just before enemy turn.
So technically it lasts 2 turns - your turns, when you don't need HP, you need HP during enemy turns.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 10:00:28 pm »
Having tried both: psychosis, because it opens up psionic mania, which makes the next spell an automatic critical. Combined with neural overclocking (+30% critical damage) and multiple-hit spells like electrokinesis or cryokinetic orb (every hit is a critical) it can be brutal.

You can also spice it up with last stand, in case your psi user finds himself in a tight spot. The effect will kick in only when at low health, but the critical chance will be 50%.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:43 am »
You mean Survival Instinct.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 09:56:14 pm »
Yep, thanks. :)