Author Topic: Suggestion for Infusion: Proper usage of Colour coded NPC's  (Read 665 times)

Hammer Wizard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Suggestion for Infusion: Proper usage of Colour coded NPC's
« on: August 19, 2021, 06:27:08 pm »
This game has a system of colour coded NPCs that barely uses:

Red for enemy
Yellow for 'hostile'
Grey for neutral
Blue for allied
Green for 'friend'
Yellow'ish brown for inactive turrets

However only red, grey and blue are often used in this game, and some of them are poor implemented, for example:
You'd think that yellow NPC's are easily turn into enemies by movement or dialog checks, however in Epione lab as a Protectorade the soldiers in there are yellow and there's nothing you can do to turn them aggressive towards you besides outright attack them, the yellow colour is pointless, it should be neutral grey at the very least.
Another example, groups of common thugs/bandits in Core City, most of them are grey, however if you get close they turn aggressive and attack you (their quotes warning you is on point tho), they shouldnt be grey, they should be yellow.
Also another example is upon entering University for the first time, when you're about to be interviewed, you can see a Rassaphore and a Recombinant forming a line that implicitly tells the player to not go further and instead go to the questioning, these two tchortists should be yellow since walking past them will make them hostile (mind you that I never actually did it, but it's painfully obvious it would turn out like that since the game makes it obvious)
Well put colours are for example the Scavengers in upper underrail, or the Lunatics under Oculus, in which venturing into forbidden zone for the former and picking the wrong choice of dialog for the latter can turn them hostile.
At the same time, what are the differences between green and blue? Both of them will turn red if you attack them, and I'm fairly sure they both turn red on you if a grenade lands near them or if they step into your traps, yes, I get the reference of the green dog at the SGS dock, 'Man's best friend', and befriended rathounds while wearing Rathound Regalia (you're part of the pack), however siding with Coretech and going into the Coretech lab with the identification turns the robots green, the robots are not your 'friends', they merely simply dont vaporize you on sight, they should be grey.

I encourage a proper usage of code for Infusion and if possible fixing the colour coding in the base game so it can be more consistent and intiutive for the player.
*Snort*

Raptor Moses

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for Infusion: Proper usage of Colour coded NPC's
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 06:53:43 pm »
I like the way you think. On a similar note I feel like the game should also communicate which red containers the player is allowed to open and which will provoke its owners when peeked into. The game communicates it too lateā€¦