Author Topic: Transition and save failed. Save screenshot problem?  (Read 3312 times)

PanzerDwarf

• Noob
    • View Profile
Transition and save failed. Save screenshot problem?
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:02:15 am »
Hi. Just bought the game on Steam today.
My first session was about 3 hours long and suddenly when making an area transition I got transition error and it kicked me out to main menu.
I was able to click continue using last save. Next transition caused the exact same problem.
After a bit I pressed F5 for quicksave and it said that saving failed. So I assume both autosave and quicksave was broken.

Looking in the save folder, I see the info.dat and global.dat files have the same timestamp, but the screenshot.png has an older timestamp and doesn't match the position I'm starting at when loading the game. The transition error logs (Swedish locale hehe) look like this:

System.Exception: Failed to save game 'autosave'. Exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Det finns inte tillrackligt med ledigt minne for att fortsatta programkorningen.
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.ImageStream.EncodeBuffer(Byte[] data, XnaImageFormat format, Int32 sourceWidth, Int32 sourceHeight, Int32 targetWidth, Int32 targetHeight)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.ImageStream..ctor(Color[] colors, Int32 sourceWidth, Int32 sourceHeight, XnaImageFormat format, Int32 targetWidth, Int32 targetHeight)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.SaveAsImage(Stream stream, XnaImageFormat __unnamed001, Int32 width, Int32 height)
   vid xm.a(Texture2D A_0, String A_1)
   vid a0d.b(String A_0)
   vid a0d.aar(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2) ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Det finns inte tillrackligt med ledigt minne for att fortsatta programkorningen.
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.ImageStream.EncodeBuffer(Byte[] data, XnaImageFormat format, Int32 sourceWidth, Int32 sourceHeight, Int32 targetWidth, Int32 targetHeight)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.ImageStream..ctor(Color[] colors, Int32 sourceWidth, Int32 sourceHeight, XnaImageFormat format, Int32 targetWidth, Int32 targetHeight)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.SaveAsImage(Stream stream, XnaImageFormat __unnamed001, Int32 width, Int32 height)
   vid xm.a(Texture2D A_0, String A_1)
   vid a0d.b(String A_0)
   vid a0d.aar(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2)
   --- Slut pa stacksparning for interna undantag ---
   vid btf.LogAndThrow[T](Exception innerException, LogSeverity severity, String message, Object[] messageArgs)
   vid a0d.aar(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2)
   vid gi.b5(ace A_0)
   vid t0.e(ace A_0)
   vid ax0.b5(ace A_0)
   vid t0.e(ace A_0)

You see the OutOfMemoryException, though there's some Swedish blabla after, but it just says there wasn't enough memory to continue program execution.
So the combination of Texture2D.SaveAsImage and OutOfMemoryException leads me to believe there's some bug (mem leak?) causing savegame screenshots to fail, thus saving transition autosaves and quicksaves fails.

Edit:
Also, I just started the game again and I am now able to quicksave, so I guess there's a memory leak in the screenshot function for the saves.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:53:58 am by PanzerDwarf »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Transition and save failed. Save screenshot problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:03:08 am »
It's something like that, yes.
If you play for a long time, or even just have the game open, it will eventually fail.
A good measure of when that is about to happen you see in another bug report here:
If you open a map, see enemies, then load the autosave just created, and the mobs are gone, it's a good sign you should probably restart the game.
I expect that to be fixed before release.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:40:16 am »
Hm, strange.

I play Underrail (12 build) on this weekend for 7-8 hours with out any problems. I suppose you should post your configuration.

Richard Moreau, Vault 8

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:50:45 am »
I mean 7-8 hours with out exiting the game.  :)
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:16:14 pm »
Maybe the game could tell the user it's running out of memory and restart would be welcome?

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 04:52:13 pm »
Maybe the game could tell the user it's running out of memory and restart would be welcome?

Nope, it's hard to (impossible) detect OutOfMemory in .Net environment and could not be catched.  :-[
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:39:37 am »
.NET memory handling, spefically the garbage collection mechanism, is infamously bad and unpredictable. My best guess at the moment is that the memory pile up occurs in the pathfinding which causes some people/machines problems during prolonged sessions and currently the only way to fix is to restart the program.

I will be looking into way to minimize these sorts of problems further down the road (closer to release).

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:41 am »
If you open a map, see enemies
A map?!!! Did you guys implemented a map already?  :o

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:35:16 am »
A map?!!! Did you guys implemented a map already?  :o

Nope, they did not. Map in Underrail is a myth :D Only directions, only hardcore! :P

I suppose they talking about an editor for map or something like that.
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:00:23 pm »
When he said opening a map, he just referring to entering an area.