Author Topic: My list of things  (Read 8576 times)

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: My list of things
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 09:11:33 am »
Maybe, but when I finished the game for the first time it went like this. Entry through the wormhole. Any traps in the lower part were impossible to see with perception 7 (effective 10 if snooper helps with that too and I feel it should judging by the description). One I got into the upper part, i couldn't see traps in a part of the map and in another part I could again (even if I leveled up, the traps in the upper part are much higher level than the ones in the lower. I had returned to the main junkyard a few times to sell stuff and recover psi energy and never noticed it. I think that only after I managed to clear the whole depot A was I able to see all traps.

Idioticus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 10:08:36 am »
Hmm... Snooping: "Increases perception by 3 for the purpose of detecting hidden passages and other secrets."
Pretty sure that's only for finding secrets. Compare and contrast with Paranoia's "Detection increased by 20%"
I'm not sure about this, but I think finding secrets is based directly on perception rather than detection.

Detection from 7 perception alone probably won't be enough to detect all traps, unless you're a bit overleveled for the area.

7 perception is still pretty high though, unless detection grows exponentially with it.
Either way, detecting traps shouldn't have anything to do with traps skill. A blind man cannot see a mine no matter how skilled he is at placing them.

Also, new thing on the list.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 10:08:52 am »
I'd call a trap in the ground a secret. It's secretly waiting to blow up your face lol. But yeah it might not work for it.

EDIT: Targetable spots would be a bit dirty in this game. Just look at psionics. You have 0 miss chances, do you really want to say psikers can't miss and even target their attacks? Talk about OP lol.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:11:07 am by Elhazzared »

Idioticus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 10:24:40 am »
EDIT: Targetable spots would be a bit dirty in this game. Just look at psionics. You have 0 miss chances, do you really want to say psikers can't miss and even target their attacks? Talk about OP lol.

I specifically pointed out how Psi abilities wouldn't be able to target anything.

you can aim where you shoot and not where you Psi.

Either way, detecting traps shouldn't have anything to do with traps skill.

Also, new thing on the list.
Trivia: trap detection used to be based only on perception. It was changed a few versions ago. I can see good in both systems, but I think the current is better. It makes perception less of a mandatory attribute and also makes traps skill more useful.

Trap detection is more of a convenience than a necessity.
Perhaps this system would be the best:
Perceptions allows you to detect traps.
Trap skill increases the time it takes for a trap to explode and allows you to disarm them.

This way you can have high perception and avoid traps by not going near them, or have high trap skill and not need any perception, because you can walk on top of a trap and have enough time to run away or disarm it.

I don't think V.A.T.S. style targeting would work very well for Underrail, since it has many feats that sort of replace it (kneecap shot, dirty kick, execute, aimed shot, snipe, etc)

This can easily be remedied.
kneecap shot: if it hits, double the crippling effect. No need to target.
Dirty kick: stays the same, no need to target.
Execute: extra damage and no accuracy penalty proportional to the amount gained/loss by having to target a head.
Aimed shot: stays the same.

Really, it's not an impossible task. And I'd consider it an immense increase in the value of the game.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:39:25 am by Idioticus »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »
But if you add it and say, screw Psi because it never misses, then Psi falls out of balance.

Idioticus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 10:31:35 am »
bump for list update