Author Topic: Buff ideas for dodge/evasion skills  (Read 1055 times)

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Buff ideas for dodge/evasion skills
« on: October 11, 2019, 09:33:36 pm »
People complain a lot about the effectiveness of these skills at higher difficulties. My ideas for buffing them are a few feats that do things like:
- reduce or remove the cap on how often attacks can miss against you (at most 60% miss with evasion, at most 90% miss with dodge)
- proc various things when an enemy misses an attack against you (attacker misses an attack against you -> they lose X action points depending on your dodge/evasion)

TelasTheSecond

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Buff ideas for dodge/evasion skills
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 11:47:18 am »
Dodge and Evasion should be merged imho(the two speech skills as well). You're either good at evading attacks or you don't. That way it make much more sense and it makes light armor builds less punishing by giving them more skill points and space for development.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 11:32:03 am »
That could work and I heard others ask for it, but skill changes are very unlikely, otherwise Guns would have been split by now.

In general changes that would have big retroactive effects and break savegames seem unlikely, like merging or removing skills, merging tiny levels into a bigger level for better navigation, etc. More popular are high compatibility changes, things that add something separate on top like extra feats.

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:29:02 pm »
Changes I'd like to see regarding this:

- Just remove the minimum hit chance cap entirely so that characters with insane dodge will always dodge low accuracy attacks like rathound bites or cave ear poisoned shooters for instance

- Merge dodge/evasion into one stat so that characters with dodge/evasion as their only line of defense aren't so starved for skill points.

- Add 'graze' hits like in XCOM 2, where characters would have to pass an additional 'graze' check when attacking against very high dodge enemies. A graze hit in this case would reduce the damage taken from an attack by a percentage relative to the disparity between the attacker's accuracy and the defender's dodge, meaning that a character with a very high effective dodge getting hit by an attack could have the damage taken from that attack reduced by as much as 80% or as little as 40% if a graze hit occurred. This would go a long way to addressing the "all or nothing" feeling that you get when you're playing a pure dodge build on dominating difficulty, where you either dodge the sniper's shot, or you just get oneshot killed immediately. This would also make extremely dodge based enemies a goddamn nightmare unless you think ahead and bring some means of stunning/incapacitating/rooting them, and would make throwing nets far more useful. It would make investing into dodge much more viable as a whole, and increase roleplaying potential by a huge margin, as it's extremely annoying when the character who I wanted to be a super dodge-y acrobat has to go plonking around in ultra heavy super steel armor or use constitution as a dump stat just so that she doesn't get obliterated on dominating.

- Make certain armor and feats reduce the chance to get hit by an attack by a small flat percentage, or increase the chance to be only grazed by an attack by a flat percentage. For example, Aran's unique phantom driver armor could reduce the chance to be hit by any attack by 5%, as well as increasing the chance to be grazed by 15%. This would make wearing light clothing actually viable on higher difficulties, since right now I'm forced to abandon the phantom driver despite the fact that it looks awesome as hell and fits thematically with the character I'm going for, simply because I get completely dominated whenever I fail to dodge an attack, as the armor itself provides virtually no damage reduction whatsoever. You could also rework the 'nimble' feat to decrease the chance to be hit by any attack by 5% and increase graze chance by 10% instead of it simply giving a bonus to an already non-viable stat (at least on hard and above imo).

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:41:34 am by Alice Malice »