Author Topic: Decimation of Fort Apogee garrison should affect the game world  (Read 1938 times)

Exterminator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Decimation of Fort Apogee garrison should affect the game world
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:56:26 pm »
If the protagonist wiped out Fort Apogee, NPCs should acknowledge that in dialogue and it should affect the ending.
Right now it doesn't and it seriously breaks immersion.
Or make it impossible, because I honestly can't imagine how one guy/gal can singlehandedly clear a military base :)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Decimation of Fort Apogee garrison should affect the game world
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »
Maybe it really is just decimation. That wouldn't have a huge effect; decimation is painful but not catastrophic.

But most importantly, it's a game; it's not realism, it's not a training simulator.  It doesn't have to be probable.  It's more probable that a well-equipped, well-trained small team with the advantage of surprise and placement can destroy a platoon of moderately-equipped, moderately-trained soldiers caught unawares - that's sort of the whole concept of special ops teams, in fact - than it is that people can start doing magic with their mutated genes.  Or, for that matter, that a person could take a piece of metal and a wooden(?) stick and without any tools or heavy machinery turn that into a masterfully-crafted shock hammer.  Or that a little bottle could contain a controlled fusion reaction to be used as a battery.  Or that cryogas would even ever be possible without completely violating one of the most fundamental laws of thermodynamics.  Or that you could survive getting shot 20 times by a 9mm just because it was a little wobbly and maybe had some rust on it.

If Fort Apogee breaks your "immersion" and these things don't, then you're just using a buzzword with no reason behind it.  We know the game world is abstracted - there's more to Core City than just what the player can see - the maps only exist to show interesting parts of the city.  We know there's more to the caves of UnderRail than just what the player can see.  Why wouldn't there be more to the Protectorate than just Fort Apogee?  Or, depending on how you like to think about it, more to Fort Apogee than just what the player can see?  No reason at all that there wouldn't be.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:32:19 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 03:46:42 pm »
Maybe it really is just decimation. That wouldn't have a huge effect; decimation is painful but not catastrophic.

But most importantly, it's a game; it's not realism, it's not a training simulator.  It doesn't have to be probable.  It's more probable that a well-equipped, well-trained small team with the advantage of surprise and placement can destroy a platoon of moderately-equipped, moderately-trained soldiers caught unawares - that's sort of the whole concept of special ops teams, in fact - than it is that people can start doing magic with their mutated genes.  Or, for that matter, that a person could take a piece of metal and a wooden(?) stick and without any tools or heavy machinery turn that into a masterfully-crafted shock hammer.  Or that a little bottle could contain a controlled fusion reaction to be used as a battery.  Or that cryogas would even ever be possible without completely violating one of the most fundamental laws of thermodynamics.  Or that you could survive getting shot 20 times by a 9mm just because it was a little wobbly and maybe had some rust on it.

If Fort Apogee breaks your "immersion" and these things don't, then you're just using a buzzword with no reason behind it.  We know the game world is abstracted - there's more to Core City than just what the player can see - the maps only exist to show interesting parts of the city.  We know there's more to the caves of UnderRail than just what the player can see.  Why wouldn't there be more to the Protectorate than just Fort Apogee?  Or, depending on how you like to think about it, more to Fort Apogee than just what the player can see?  No reason at all that there wouldn't be.

I think he was talking more about the immersion in so far as the game world is concerned, the fact that the fort being wiped out should have characters reacting to it, as it'd be a major event politically and socially in the context of the game.

Riggs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 11:07:47 pm »
I think he was talking more about the immersion in so far as the game world is concerned, the fact that the fort being wiped out should have characters reacting to it, as it'd be a major event politically and socially in the context of the game.
Yeah that's what I got from his post as well.

YawaUR

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 03:55:52 am »
But most importantly, it's a game; it's not realism, it's not a training simulator.  It doesn't have to be probable.

Without trying to seem rude, I don't think you quite understand suspension of disbelief.
The game acknowledges relatively minor things after you beat the final boss of the base game, such as the events at Rail Crossing. I know that's quest related and creating ending cutscenes for each possible event of X player decided to wipe out X,Y,Z factions isn't really the most viable, but ignoring that it doesn't make much sense in-game to not have people react. The game has a couple nods to me wiping out some mutants in the DLC.

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 10:58:57 am »
I agree. Even all of Corecity talks about the murder of a rich family that you killed. But doesn't care about like a mass murder in the largest millitarybase around the city.

I'm sure it's a lot of work. But it would feel more like that your optional actions affect the world.

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900