Author Topic: Help Getting Started (Noob)  (Read 5783 times)

GodlikeSoldier

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Help Getting Started (Noob)
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:47:25 pm »
I just want to play on normal and clearly there are so many amazing looking builds that I need help of people familiar with the game. I know I want either a PSI or PSI Hybrid build that can see most of the games content and maximize XP on oddity. I really do not have a clue of whats good or bad. I know this game has walls for builds that do not pass the test of being good enough, which is essentially what happened the first time I tried this game. I thought assault rifle/PSI would be cool, but I think I wouldn't have enough points to make that any good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or direct links to builds.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Help Getting Started (Noob)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:52:47 am »
I want either a PSI or PSI Hybrid build that can see most of the games content and maximize XP on oddity.
https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=4149.0

GodlikeSoldier

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:07:23 am »
Oh so pure PSI is just the superior route from what you linked that's good to know and the lack of perception will not cause a lot of things to get closed off to me because It say it reveals secrets or is it mostly just loot? I also noticed you do not have any points in technology and lockpicking/hacking are those not as important as I thought in this game?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:09:07 am by GodlikeSoldier »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:18:09 am »
Oh so pure PSI is just the superior route from what you linked that's good to know and the lack of perception will not cause a lot of things to get closed off to me because It say it reveals secrets or is it mostly just loot? I also noticed you do not have any points in technology and lockpicking/hacking are those not as important as I thought in this game?
With Snooping (which I do recommend) you'll be able to find almost all the secrets in the game quite easily even with 3 Perception. Technically, you could even do it without, but that's razor-thin min/maxing and I try not to recommend that especially for new players.

I believe that if you read more closely you'll find that I specifically recommend going into Lockpicking and Hacking from level 1.  I just didn't fill them in because while they are extremely valuable, they aren't necessary, and I prefer to leave free points available so players can fidget around and design a build they want to play, rather than a cookie-cutter build that I want them to play.

Crafting skills, hacking, lockpicking - all of those get attention in my recommended build suggestions.  However, crafting can wait until level 12-14 or so; if you do hold off, that'll free up your skill points for more immediately helpful things, like better combat skills, and better world manipulation skills.

GodlikeSoldier

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:00:24 am »
That makes a lot of sense I was just looking at the starting builds I did not look at the higher levels. Do you know of any resources that show the max needed for certain skills like lockpicking, hacking, crafting, etc where more points won't help anymore?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:48 am »
Do you know of any resources that show the max needed for certain skills like lockpicking, hacking, crafting, etc where more points won't help anymore?
I always recommend destroyor's excellent FAQ.  There's a section for skill thresholds.  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=843557165

GodlikeSoldier

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 03:12:51 am »
Thanks so much TheAverageGortsby, though I feel your name should not be average anymore because it seems you know Underrail inside and out. Hopefully a play-through with your PSI build will make me not give up in hopelessness. I will say the decision for psychosis vs tranquility is tough.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:44:51 am by GodlikeSoldier »