Author Topic: Dominating Expedition Psi Build > Advice needed  (Read 31390 times)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Dominating Expedition Psi Build > Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 05:52:24 am »
Christ how is your upkeep cost so low? Psi beetle carapace brings it down to about 23, Max quality mufflers would bring it down to 15 or so... Advanced psi empathy?

You could walk around with it permanently on...
And indeed I do  :D

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 02:50:03 pm »
Christ how is your upkeep cost so low? Psi beetle carapace brings it down to about 23, Max quality mufflers would bring it down to 15 or so... Advanced psi empathy?

O wise Gortsby, are there any other sources of psi cost reduction?

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 02:58:36 pm »

O wise Gortsby, are there any other sources of psi cost reduction?

You don't really need other sources. You can counter Precog's cost with Advanced psi empathy or Mantra in addition to mufflers, psi carapace and a regen of high level psiker.
Fortunately Psychosis doesn't increase Precognition's upkeep.

There might be some other sources. You'll find out soon (:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 03:43:45 pm by hilf »

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 03:49:07 pm »
Updated build is as following:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMDAwkDEAkAAAAAAADCoAAAAABWWjMsWsKgwqDCoMKgIRk9UGIrLBQqZ8KHZiHChB89LgjCt3Ip4qOJBeKsjArfvw

I placed Pyromaniac as advised even though I was not convinced by  its efficiency as it was triggering too rarely  to rely on it. Power Management is not sure to be taken as the last feat, there will be time for reaching it and choose something else.

Throwing is removed. No hacking or lockpicking, the build is designed to fight anyway...
For chemistry and biology, it does not need huge investment to reach high amounts
Crafting skills are not fixed and will depend on quality of materials found, Electronics will be higher than mechanics for example.
Social skills are copy paste from Omni build (Still not sure how to raise it efficiently), are they correct values? It is rather low investment in number of points.

What do you think about this version? Do you see rooms for improvements?

I was also thinking that few points in trap might be useful for some fights> it means 56 points to reach 75 with belt and knife. what do you think? or simple bear trap are far enough as with 3 STR no big carrying possible.

Side note for Omni build > You did not take Psychostatic Electricity on your build, even if you have psionic mania, it is very useful for long fights. I would drop Hypothermia for it.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 11:59:57 pm »
I placed Pyromaniac as advised even though I was not convinced by  its efficiency as it was triggering too rarely  to rely on it.

Social skills are copy paste from Omni build (Still not sure how to raise it efficiently), are they correct values? It is rather low investment in number of points.

What do you think about this version? Do you see rooms for improvements?

I was also thinking that few points in trap might be useful for some fights> it means 56 points to reach 75 with belt and knife. what do you think? or simple bear trap are far enough as with 3 STR no big carrying possible.
You shouldn't feel the need to take Pyromaniac if you don't want to.  It's very good, but psi is very, very powerful and can do just fine without such extreme optimization.  The values Omni has are the correct values for a patient min/maxer. With all the right gear, they'll be capable of getting buffed to the necessary thresholds.  For someone who doesn't like such extreme measures and would rather just walk around ready at all times, then they are not high enough.

Room for improvements in your new build? Yeah, several.  But you've clearly shown that you aren't interested in the level of ridiculous min/maxing that can be achieved by really squeezing a build tight.  What you've got will get you through the game just fine.  If you really aren't bothered by all the loot you're going to leave behind by not being able to pick and hack locks, then you'll be fine.  Me, I'd have an absolute fit - I gotta get them lewts!

Plain bear trap is fine. With the synergy from your Mechanics, you'll even be able to place MKI frags, and with the jackknife, MKI HE as well. Since you'll have so many abilities available by the time you reach mid-levels, the low-level explosives will be enough.  And the one fight that's basically designed to show off the maximum potential of traps works just fine with plain bear traps if that's all you've got.

are there any other sources of psi cost reduction?
Like hilf says, there may be some.  But I'd hate to spoil the fun of discovering the stuff in the game.  Know that there's cool stuff; that should be enough to whet your appetite. Then go chow down on this excellent expansion =)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:13:44 am by TheAverageGortsby »

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 07:51:03 am »
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMDAwkDEAkAAAAAAADCoEwAAABMSxstS8KTwqDCoMKgIRk9UGIrLBQqZ8KHZiHChB89LgrCt3Ip4qOJBeKsjArfvw

Final thoughts with all your nice feedback.

The 3 feats (Pyromaniac, Cryogenic Induction and Power Management) are not strictly fixed and may change depending on what would be needed (Conditioning and Stoicism for surviving if it is getting tough for example).
Pyromaniac has been changed and occurrence was increased, I may not have taken it after patching so will give a new shot.

I have very slightly min/max some skills to raise Hacking. With 9 int, it would be a pity not to use the synergy.
For grenade, it will be limited to Napalm but can craft gas grenade early without any bonus.
Split between Electronics, Mechanics and Tailoring may change upon components found.
All crafting are relying on the +5 bonus int and workbench.

Versus previous build, it will not craft as good but should be able to make very decent gears. It is possible to remove some points from Temporal or Thought Control if there is something worth crafting from the expansion. The starting idea was to have a max psi skills so not willing to trade much on that.

Once more time thanks for your help, especially Gortsby and Omni. It is high time to start playing and discover by ourselves.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 10:56:47 am »
There are no +5 Int bonus, only +2 Int and +3 to all skills.

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 11:51:02 am »
If it is additive (food + drug), it means that int can be raised by +5 for the purpose of crafting.
Have I missed something here?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 12:09:47 pm »
If it is additive (food + drug), it means that int can be raised by +5 for the purpose of crafting.
Have I missed something here?
Yes, several times in a row despite our best efforts to explain.
Strength, Intelligence, Agility, and all the rest are stats.
Tailoring, Persuasion, Dodge, and all the rest are skills.

You can get +2 to the Intelligence stat.
You can get +3 to all skills.
You cannot get +5 to Intelligence.

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 12:51:18 pm »
Mixed skills ans stats  :-X I read what I wanted to read...

The build starts to be short on points for crafting high end equipment then. It needs to have some skills lower (it was mentioned few posts ago...).

Thanks for your patience :)

I repost the lightly updated build even though there might more optimized build proposed:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMDAwkDEAkAAAAAAADCnEsAAAA8WhQ1UMKTwqDCoMKgIRk9UGIrLBQqZ8KHZiHChB89LgrCt3Ip4qOJBeKsjArfvw

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:53:15 pm by Sat »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »
Thanks for your patience :)

Not at all bro - we couldn't act different, because we want to share with what we love here. )

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 05:51:21 pm »
Figured I'd use this thread to ask - my last dominating psi char used tranquility instead of psychosis - is this option still competitive now that we have feats with further psi cost reduction?

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 05:58:26 pm »
Figured I'd use this thread to ask - my last dominating psi char used tranquility instead of psychosis - is this option still competitive now that we have feats with further psi cost reduction?

It's more than competitive, Tranquility is much better than Psychosis now thanks to Temporal Manipulation that benefits from Tranq and only suffers from Psychosis. Temporal will also add you action points which means you'll be needing more PSI points so additional cost reduction will come in handy.

Not to say build with Psychosis can't benefit from Temporal - it can, it's just Tranqulity and Temporal Manipulation have mutual benefits.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:01:22 pm by hilf »

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2019, 06:06:35 pm »
Cool thanks, guess I'll try to recreate my old char. Is there any point in taking the health cost for psi abilities feat with a tranq build though? I was thinking of going with 6 con so it's very close if I wanted to grab it.

edit: Threw this together quickly, thoughts? It's not minmaxed, more of a casual stroll through UnderRail build. My last char was close to this (minus the new feats obviously) and I had a pretty easy time with it.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMDBAcDEAoAAAAAAAAtRmQAAFBQCkFQwqDCoMKgwqAuAEBQKCcrPxQqZGYhwoTCiMKHPVdywrfCiuKmhgrfvw
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:58:24 pm by bati »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47:03 pm »
Is there any point in taking the health cost for psi abilities feat with a tranq build though?
I think still there is, though much lees then for Psychosis build.
You still can cast without psi, for example after Empowered Something.
I guess, usualy Tranquility doesn't run out of psi.