Author Topic: Nearly 150 hours in & I win! (questions & spoilers!)  (Read 2116 times)

ChaunceyK

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Nope, not a spambot.
    • View Profile
Nearly 150 hours in & I win! (questions & spoilers!)
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:47:56 pm »

First, my hat goes off to Styg.  I absolutely loved playing UnderRail.  This game was immersive, gritty, atmospheric, game me plenty of role-playing choices, combat was extremely fun, and the story was engrossing as layer after layer was peeled away.  It definitely scratched that "Fallout - Van Buren" itch I've had for the last 20 years, without actually being in the Fallout universe.

I played as a stealth based, melee fighter named Thunderfist.  I ended up wielding The Claw for all attacks (I'd found the Power Fist, but it didn't seem as good for my build compared to The Claw), and a Kukri for the Cut-throat feat.  I also maxxed out Psychokinesis (mainly using Telekinetic Punch & Electrokinesis for their stunning abilities), and used a smidgeon of grenade throwing (Flashbang & EMP Grenades were my friends).

Since UR doesn't force you into being a leader or a hero, my goal was simple: "whatever keeps me alive today, so that I can get to a point in this god-forsaken place where I'll be safe & I can live comfortably."  I wasn't an assassin or mercenary per se, but I pretty much accepted the first alliances or offers of work that was presented to me at any time, rather than traveling all around & weighing my offers.  I also tried really hard not to kill anyone I thought of as an "innocent."  This led to me gaining the following statuses (which I think would've been nice to list somewhere on the character sheet or something, kind of like "achievements")...

Agent of SGS, Invictus "Super Bomberman" & Gauntlet Champion of Core City, agent of Coretech, Corporal of the Protectorate (I did all they asked of me, so I would've liked a promotion just out of recognition for my work, but whatever), Tchortist (until Tchort tried to eat me), and neither an ally nor an enemy of the Faceless (they scanned me & didn't care one way or the other about me), and I opted to retire to my home in Core City rather than take Tanner's place or head to North Underrail (I realize that wasn't an actual in-game option, but until the expansion comes out, that's what I imagine Thunderfist would do).

So, now that I'm finished, I have some questions (I'm assuming some of the answers will be "Your Perception just wasn't high enough).  I've added links to specific areas where I could, since there's a size limit on image uploads...
  • When I first started, it was stressed that crafting would provide me with better gear than I'd find.  But I found a Galvanic Overcoat with +29 to Stealth and Ninja Tabi Boots with 6 different good bonuses somewhat early in the game, and I was never able to craft anything as good as those for my build.  Did I just get lucky on finding them early or did I get better loot drops for playing on Easy?
  • Lower Underrail
  • Two empty caves near east and west sides of Foundry?
  • Just east of GMS Compound is Warehouse Block Alpha (in the wiki as GMS Warehouse Block) with one small building locked that seems to need a key? Then the area just north of that (although you need to go east, north, then west to get to it) is an electronic lock with no power?
  • Jack Quicksilver gave me the first quest in SGS, and I completed it, but then he wouldn't offer me any others later in Core City?
  • Upper Underrail
  • Panacea Lab has one square in northern most corner with no door to get into?
  • Deep Caverns
  • Arke Power Station, outside the building, in southeast corner is a section of wall with an Agility check that I passed, but I didn't find anything in there?
  • Caerus Residential had a couple of doors on the east side of town that were blocked & seemed unopenable?
  • On the annotated map, it marks one spot as Elevator Hanging Rat, but I didn't find an elevator there?
  • When I first left Tchort's cave, the Faceless demanded the cube.  So I reloaded from inside the cave & hid the cube on a shelf, so that when I came back out, the Faceless could search me & leave.  But then when I went back in, the cube was missing, and when I later met again with Six, he said the Faceless had the cube.  Was it in any way possible to complete the "return cube to Tanner" quest if I had instead fought the Faceless while the cube was on me?
  • End Game
  • Just one question I haven't already asked.  During the end game summary, it says Rail Crossing was attacked by Ironheads?  I thought I killed them all?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:25:47 pm by ChaunceyK »

brobotics

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Nearly 150 hours in & I win! (questions & spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 03:30:54 am »
Jack Quicksilver gave me the first quest in SGS, and I completed it, but then he wouldn't offer me any others later in Core City?

I think you need to help someone in Junkyard for Jack to take interest in you again. Also if you didn't progress that quest, that means you didn't make it into A Certain Organization

Tchort's cave

I think you mean... THE CRUCIBLE
but yeah if you bring the Cube to the elevator Six admonishes you and confiscates it
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:36:01 am by brobotics »

openyourmouth01

• Noob
  • Best Dentist Philadelphia
    • View Profile
    • Dental Implants Philadelphia- Open Your Mouth
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:27:56 am »
Really awesome........
Visit Open Your Mouth for an affordable Cosmetic Dentistry Philadelphia and complete your treatment by the hands of experienced dentist.

Trashos

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:06:12 pm »
1. Yeah, you can craft better than those.

4. Didn't you get a quest from the chief of the Foundry Guard to scout some Faceless nearby? Those Faceless are in the cave to the West. Depending on how you go about solving this quest, the cave to the East may become relevant (but not necessarily).

5. Right, some buildings we don't have access to.

6. Did you do Abram's quests in Junkyard? If you do, he is eventually going to tell you to meet again in Core City, where he will point you to Quicksilver again. Note that, in Junkyard, sometimes you have to wait a while before Abram's next quest becomes available. That's one of the best questlines in the game, btw (Abram+Quicksilver), if not the best.

`louse`

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 05:15:28 pm »

• When I first started, it was stressed that crafting would provide me with better gear than I'd find.  But I found a Galvanic Overcoat with +29 to Stealth and Ninja Tabi Boots with 6 different good bonuses somewhat early in the game, and I was never able to craft anything as good as those for my build.  Did I just get lucky on finding them early or did I get better loot drops for playing on Easy?

1. Look here, there are good stuffs in these movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy9WN3ksMTI
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBd5CeXWJOA

ChaunceyK

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Nope, not a spambot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 09:19:29 pm »

I think you need to help someone in Junkyard for Jack to take interest in you again. Also if you didn't progress that quest, that means you didn't make it into A Certain Organization

Oh yeah, I do remember being uncooperative with that guy.  I had already accepted work from The Protectorate, so in playing my character, I fed him some wrong information on purpose.

ChaunceyK

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Nope, not a spambot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:22:57 pm »
1. Yeah, you can craft better than those.

4. Didn't you get a quest from the chief of the Foundry Guard to scout some Faceless nearby? Those Faceless are in the cave to the West. Depending on how you go about solving this quest, the cave to the East may become relevant (but not necessarily).

5. Right, some buildings we don't have access to.

6. Did you do Abram's quests in Junkyard? If you do, he is eventually going to tell you to meet again in Core City, where he will point you to Quicksilver again. Note that, in Junkyard, sometimes you have to wait a while before Abram's next quest becomes available. That's one of the best questlines in the game, btw (Abram+Quicksilver), if not the best.

1. Really?  Even in trying to keep my armor penalty at 15% or less (so I wouldn't lose my stealth-related bonuses)?  Well, I guess it doesn't really matter, I was able to finish the game just fine.

4. Yes, I remember now.  That makes sense.

6. I had already taken work with The Protectorate, so I fed him false info.  I guess that explains that.

ChaunceyK

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Nope, not a spambot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 09:28:22 pm »
Thanks for the answers everyone.  All I have left are #7 and #14!

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 09:41:41 pm »
1. Really?  Even in trying to keep my armor penalty at 15% or less (so I wouldn't lose my stealth-related bonuses)?  Well, I guess it doesn't really matter, I was able to finish the game just fine.
Loaded up a save and just used what I had laying around. These are *not* the best you could make, but they're good.  You could, with some patience in gathering materials, do better.

`louse`

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 10:37:19 pm »
  • Panacea Lab has one square in northern most corner with no door to get into?
  • Just one question I haven't already asked.  During the end game summary, it says Rail Crossing was attacked by Ironheads?  I thought I killed them all?

Maybe you need 8 Perception for Switch to open door to the room in the northeast corner.
Secret areas - http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Perception

Here are the possible Rail Crossing`s endings regardless of whether you killed the Ironheads.
http://underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Endings
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:09:06 pm by `louse` »