Author Topic: So what improvements would benefit Underrail 2?  (Read 13425 times)

Maliel

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: So what improvements would benefit Underrail 2?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 11:54:12 pm »
Wait, i got it... MODS!, like that other post apocalyptic game

fire_lizard

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 12:23:34 am »
+1 for MODS

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 04:25:22 am »
I'm excited for whatever StygSoft's next project is.

Buy more copies of Expedition!!! Give them all the resources!!!    <3

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 06:20:50 am »
+1 for MODS

You can still quite mod the game a bit.

If you have to know how to understand hex, you can mod the files, after you unpacked them with the unpacker. (But i don't have the link. :( )

You can mess a bit with the cheatengine. There are some tables that allow you to edit items. (I made some cool items with the editor.)

We could ask Styg about the moddingtools  because now that the dlc is complete, they should have quite some time to create the modding tools.

But like someone else said, with every time someone buys the game or the dlc, they have more money. More money = more recources they can use.

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

Threeeightnine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:25 pm »
Mods would be a fantastic addition to the game. A dedicated modding community would be incredible.

Archerodees

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 12:27:25 am »

6. Headwear

There's lots of cool headwear options to pick from. But is it really necessary to lose your goggles because you are wearing a gas mask? Mixing and matching those items should lead to lots of fun. There could be a toggle where you either have no helmet, just a hat + goggles + gas mask [don't have to have all three], or you could have a helmet that integrates the hat + goggles + gas mask options.

Yeah I would very much like to see more headwear, and more types, bandanas, ball caps, ushankas...perhaps something with more protection than a balaclava but not as much as metal helmets. Something midway like leather boots are inbetween metal helmets and tabi boots. I would also like to see them displayed on your character, rather than the default headwear, or even no head wear on whatever outfit you're wearing.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 05:26:28 am »
Improved inventory management.

You could make a list of items you want to keep in your backpack. With one click of a button all other items get transferred to a container. Or on the ground.
There would be an option to specify how many items of given type you want to keep, e.g. 4 Frag Grenade MK III.

lmgd

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 08:46:09 pm »
Off the top of my head, in no particular order

Modern resolution support

I started the game @QXGA (2560x1600) resolution, then I learned you basically have to play at the lowest resolution. Many interactable objects such as doors, switches, fishing rod are only a couple of pixels big and are both hard to see or click. I have to turn down resolution and/or slow mouse speed down to click that one pixel...

Inventory management

In games where scavenging and carry weight is such an integral part of the game. It would really help to have some basic QOL things such as
*total tab weight (Total WT of components, weapons, meds) so you can quickly see what is weighing you down.
*Sorting by WT, Value, New
*Visible Quality of components in assembled items (what gameplay benefit is there to hide it?)
*compare items (green plus arrows, red minus arrows, and difference?)

Reramped detection/stealth/sound
A silenced 5mm kill breaks stealth and enters combat? but I can snipe with a 12.7 from 20 tiles away and they just want to see what the sound was? Why does stealing something undetected = auto hostile? (ex. muties). Misclicking an npc owned item that is right next to npc... can't I get a warning unless I actually take something?

Better combat feedback
I've finished DC and currently finishing the expansion on hard. It is not always clear which NPCS/creatures are armored or unarmored. There are different color shields but I don't care because of EMP. Enemy resistances? Unless they are highly resistant (50+) it doesn't matter just cast/shoot more.

Screen Transitions
I'm running the game off an SSD and it takes longer to load the next zone than jetskiing across it @5x Speed... 3 seconds of jetskiing, 10 seconds load, 3 seconds, 10 seconds...

Pacifism
Right now we can sometimes not be a mass murderer... Why can't I stun/tranquilize to end fights?

Riggs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 10:41:07 pm »
Silencers actually increase accuracy in real life.
Suppressors increase accuracy in real life. Silencers don't actually exist.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 10:55:36 pm »
Better enemy/ally AI is the biggest one, I think. 

Traps and psi need some work to not be so broken.

Personally I would love the option to zoom in and out. 

And allow tichrome crowbars pls, thnx. 

Silencers actually increase accuracy in real life.
Suppressors increase accuracy in real life. Silencers don't actually exist.

Right, right, and it's "magazines", not "clips", and it's "trigger discipline" and not "common sense".  Autism is a terrible burden, anon, you have my condolences.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Riggs

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 12:51:17 am »
Autism is a terrible burden, anon, you have my condolences.
And you have mine, I've seen all your posts in the spelling/grammar thread. A terrible burden indeed.

Olnarrosh

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 04:06:26 am »
  • Less tedium. Currently, to make your character as powerful as possible, you should pick up all saleable items you find, lug them across possibly dozens of screens (without quick-travelling, because there's a cost to using it) to a merchant, sell as much as they're willing and sufficiently solvent to buy, and as long as you have any items left, wait until the shop resets or go to another one and try to continue selling. With the money you make from this, you buy the best items you can theoretically get and use at the moment, which most likely will again involve waiting for shops to reset multiple times. While this may be too mind-numbing for anyone to actually do even with speedhack, the way the game works incentivises approximating this behaviour as far as the player can tolerate it and as long as there is anything to spend additional money on. Free quick-travel, perhaps with more available locations, and shop inventories not changing based on the passing of time would remove major sources of boredom and frustration.
  • The skill system could use some changes. First and foremost, some skills are only used for checks against fixed values, and if you don't know exactly what you're doing, it's all too easy to invest useless points beyond the value of the highest of those checks in those skills. Also, Throwing is a bit weird if you use it for grenades in that the amount of skill points you need to invest in it to be able to use it reliably doesn't depend on your level.
  • Real-time and turn-based mode should better correspond to each other, or the need for such correspondence should be reduced. Ideally, either all actions should be possible in either mode with their costs in action points and in time being equivalent (which could eliminate the need for combat to happen in turn-based mode), or most of them (with exceptions only for basic things like movement) should only be possible in one mode.
  • More information. Sometimes I forget what parts of a complex quest I've already completed, or whether an enemy type I've fought before has a certain immunity or resistance, or I'd like to know the details of the recipe or ability that a blueprint or psionic mentor I could buy would teach me, or how the weapons craftable from different types of frame or mold I could buy would differ. While I can figure out all of these through trial and error or most of them by reading the wiki, I see no reason why the game couldn't just tell me.
  • I expect there to only be one experience mode in Underrail 2, probably closer to oddity than classic. Personally, I wouldn't really mind if it were exactly like oddity mode, but I'd prefer a little more focus on quests and less on exploration, and perhaps a system directly awarding skill points rather than (or, if levels and feats would be handled separately from skill points, in addition to) experience.
  • More personality and individuality for the player character. Not having to share portraits and character models with NPCs would be nice, as would optional background or personality traits (similar to feats but not strictly advantageous), or having appropriate feats (such as Paranoia or Stoicism) occasionally affect dialogue options.

ecogen

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:23 pm »
As others have mentioned, better inventory management, some QoL changes at least when it comes to traveling, a built in notebook would also be nice if the quest log stays as it is.

My biggest peeve is how allies react to your actions though. It needs to stop being 0 to 100, if I'm allied with someone they shouldn't be instantly shooting me the moment I enter a restricted area or pick up an item from a container that's not mine. Fallout New Vegas' reputation system dealt with this pretty well IIRC, it would keep track all of your relevant actions to a faction (positive or negative) and somewhat add them up to give you your rep with that faction, now of course it doesn't have to be exactly like that but it I would appreciate if the Black Eels who are in power only because of my hard work didn't instantly try to exterminate my ass the instant my foot touches a restricted area pixel.

Lyca0n

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:02 am »
I know I am going to sound really bloody salty but realistically long lasting night vision battery life xD JK

I guess more of anywhere in this universe is grand eg. The rail connecting to UV filtering Biodomes on the surface in the north, deep sea settlements in marianas trench connecting to the cyberpunk dystopian hexagon with body modded horrors ect. The jet skis are also fun so anything involving underrail vehicles and combat on them sounds hardcore. TBH personally I honestly don't mind if stygs and crew move onto other projects or use the same engine to create similar games in different universe as there's a lot of creativity and love that went into this game and it shows.

EDIT: I Agree with the above post when it comes to alleviating tedium as a lot of the time when I was frustrated with the game was due to weird mechanics such as the vendor purchase limit while more immersive is infuriating and having to lug item drops back and forth is annoying, would be cool if on the home in the next game had a courier service that transport Items automatically between bases and a auto sort feature for stored items in chests. So you can just come strait back to base and get crafting/selling any redundant items.

Double Edit All the way:Finish the dudes quest and it unlocks a fast travel system that removes alot of tedium, so this feature in underrail 2 is a must
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 03:23:00 pm by Lyca0n »
"To him who looks upon the world rationally, the world in its turn presents a rational aspect"-Hegel

Lyca0n

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:49 am »
YES PLEASE ON MOD SUPPORT  :P
"To him who looks upon the world rationally, the world in its turn presents a rational aspect"-Hegel