Author Topic: Machetes and You!  (Read 24172 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Machetes and You!
« on: July 22, 2019, 05:31:03 pm »
So, you want to use a machete, champ?  That's great!  Just like your old pop!
I'm already sick of this shtick, so here's the info.

A few things to know:

-machetes ARE NOT light weapons; they do not get the dex ap reduction
-straight machetes have a tighter damage range (especially a higher low end) and slightly higher crit chance, but lower crit damage (usually by 20%)
-curved machetes have a wider damage range (a slightly higher max, but a much lower low)
-as usual, tichrome machetes have 1 less AP cost (most melee weapons have 1 less AP with tichrome; machetes have 2), tungsten ones do more damage/have higher crit bonus/higher str requirement, etc
-the main strength of machetes comes from your feats (and through them, specializations)

You want Flurry.  You also want onslaught.  Decapitation is nice but not vital.  You also want Ripper; not vital but boy it's nice.  Get expose weakness if you know what is good for you.  I would also get cheap shots, critical power, and any crit-chance boosting feats. 

Flurry is your bread and butter.  It costs 35 ap to use, makes three separate attacks; if any of those attacks miss, the flurry ends immediately and goes on cooldown for a several rounds.  The ap cost is 35 regardless of what kind of machete you're using or what you're wearing; so it's best to use a heavier one (and you dont even need tabis!).  Each hit of a flurry lowers the ap cost of the next flurry by 4 (which stacks up to 5 times for a 20 point reduction).  There is a specialization to lower the AP cost by up to 5 points, and another to reduce the cooldown.  You can get flurries as low as 10 ap if you can keep them up; you always want the highest to-hit percentage you can get. 

Flurry goes very well with onslaught.  Onslaught increases the damage of following attacks every time you land an attack, by 5% and stacks up to TWENTY times (and you can up to double the bonus with specialization points), but like flurry, if you miss even once, you lose all of it (no cooldown though).  Sit and think about the math for a moment; let it sink in.  Now imagine that you had the highest crit chance you can get, as well as ripper, opportunist, cheap shots + critical power....

Yeah.  Have fun, but be careful, if you miss on a flurry in the middle of a dangerous battle, you might be effed.  Have a plan B, and a plan C, and it helps to have a lot of move points, or the stasis ability, or morphine, or a forcefield, or whatever makes the most sense for your build. 

Be careful when making your character; tungsten machetes need 6 strength, decapitation needs 7 strength, dex affects crit chance, you need 5 will for ripper, 5 int for cheap shots/expose weakness, 6 int for weaponsmith, and you'll probably want sprint at least which requires 6 agi.  Good luck; I've had a lot of fun with mine, especially later in the game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:05:01 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Machetes and You!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:30:57 pm »
I found bear traps very useful for machete build as they negate target's dodge.
I invested skill points into traps so my enemies could not detect them.
And i picked Quick Tinkering for more dodge negation with bear traps.

Other options include flashbang + throwing net and a stingball grenade.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:56:47 pm by hilf »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:16:18 pm »
I found bear traps very useful for machete build as they negate target's dodge.
I invested skill points into traps so my enemies could not detect them.
And i picked Quick Tinkering for more dodge negation with bear traps.

Other options include flashbang + throwing net and a stingball grenade.

Tasers, incap from pneumatic hammer gloves, throwing nets, and crawler caltrops too.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 12:54:00 am »
They look good, but I'm having trouble finding the code to craft one - shotguns and the spy camera was easy, but none of the regular vendors have the code to craft them. I own the parts, but can't build

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 12:56:12 am »
They look good, but I'm having trouble finding the code to craft one - shotguns and the spy camera was easy, but none of the regular vendors have the code to craft them. I own the parts, but can't build

Lucas at SGS sometimes has it.  Colton in junkyard sometimes has it.  But Kendrick in junkyard always has it.
*eurobeat intensifies*

rdx

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 01:29:24 am »
what about defenses? is parry/riposte good? heavy armor? dodge/evasion?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 01:32:45 am »
what about defenses? is parry/riposte good? heavy armor? dodge/evasion?

Yes, parry and riposte are good.  Best with a dex-build, but good anyway.  You can do heavy armor.  I did dodge/evasion on my guy; focused on being very fast and mobile.  I would say given the nature of flurry and onslaught, it would be better to be fast so you can get to enemies to keep those up every round.  But sometimes it might be a good idea to get heavier armor and let enemies come to you.

Overall, I'd say be stealthy and mobile.  Infused rathound leather armor with soft padding and black cloth would be my choice.
*eurobeat intensifies*

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 01:35:16 am »
Overall, I'd say be stealthy and mobile.  Infused rathound leather armor with soft padding and black cloth would be my choice.
Hmm, not the new leathers? Gortsby said something about them being good, but I can't find their stats and my new char isn't Expedition ready yet.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 01:53:18 am »
Hmm, not the new leathers? Gortsby said something about them being good, but I can't find their stats and my new char isn't Expedition ready yet.

The ones I've seen are heavy; heavier than base game armors.  Infused rathound leather gives a crit chance bonus, and machetes want the highest crit chance they can get.
*eurobeat intensifies*

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 11:29:11 am »
So can you guys post example of your machete build?

rdx

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 12:25:21 pm »
this is just my theorycrafted not tested build so im open to suggestions in minmaxing it, im uncertain if i really want uncanny dodge and fancy footwork, if expansions raises skill requirements for end game crafting/locks/hacking, or if its even viable with such low hp and no stealth (i dont really like stealth, maybe i should give it another try tho...)

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgcOCAMDBQYALQDCoMKgwqAAXjYAAHB4NGpwAAAAAAAAWiQ5McKMAFzCmRLCjQZLwo4TQcKzFnjinJAI4rKIBeKyiQLfvw

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 12:46:15 pm »
this is just my theorycrafted not tested build so im open to suggestions in minmaxing it, im uncertain if i really want uncanny dodge and fancy footwork, if expansions raises skill requirements for end game crafting/locks/hacking, or if its even viable with such low hp and no stealth (i dont really like stealth, maybe i should give it another try tho...)

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgcOCAMDBQYALQDCoMKgwqAAXjYAAHB4NGpwAAAAAAAAWiQ5McKMAFzCmRLCjQZLwo4TQcKzFnjinJAI4rKIBeKyiQLfvw
It's almost okay. Just replace weaponsmith spec with something better(crit power for ex) and lower all crafting skills.

The Saint

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 12:49:05 pm »

What about stealth? Isn't it glass cannon?

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 12:59:34 pm »
What about stealth? Isn't it glass cannon?
You will invest these point in the stealth of course. No stealth play is usually for more experienced guys.
Playing with similar(but with TM, of course) build on domi without problem for now.

Maliel

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 02:37:23 pm »
So no expertise for machetes? or is it just that there are better feats?