Author Topic: Machetes and You!  (Read 24171 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Machetes and You!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 02:55:44 pm »
So no expertise for machetes? or is it just that there are better feats?

There are better feats.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice with flurry, but nah. 

*eurobeat intensifies*

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 03:31:41 pm »
So can you guys post example of your machete build?

I can, but only a semi-failed build from which I backpedaled. )

Armor Sloping, Nimle, Opportunist, Recklesness, Shield Arm, Sprint, Weaponsmith, Flurry, Parry, Cheap Shot, Decapitate, Fancy Footwork, Riposte, Critical Power, Onslaught.
Not complete fail, I guess it's possible to finish game if I do soem crafting, it's just very hard and unforgiving.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 03:46:49 pm »
I posted a full one over here:   http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=4048.60
*eurobeat intensifies*

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 05:26:24 pm »
I'm finding Flurry underwhelming. The only things I can reliably Flurry are wimpy things. At L9 (maxed melee) I'm fairly likely to miss once flurrying a Rathound Alpha. Pfft.

At L9 I think machetes are not as strong as a good knife build. This is good for balance, we wouldn't want knives to be obsolete, but I admit I was expecting more. Maybe later when I get more DEX I'll get my chipper shredder going. (Or maybe the idea is I need to do more to debuff my targets. Or maybe the difference in weapon damage will tell more later in the game.)

Don't get me wrong, Flurry is still fun, but don't set your expectations too high.

On the other hand, Temporal Manipulation + Grenadier is freaking awesome. My character is getting along just fine despite the limitations of Flurry.

Billy_Wellington

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 05:44:54 pm »
Hello guys, i currently started playing a sword build but with intention of having energy pistol as spare.
I kind of missed the Ripper feat, i intended to max out dexterity at 16, but maybe it's worth it to up 2 points of will and get the ripper? 14 dex is still good. I only started so that's an option.
Also, are parry and riposte worth investing 2 feats? Does it work only on front atacks or all directions? What about monster melee atacks? Also i don't quiet remember many melee humanoids in original game.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »
Hello guys, i currently started playing a sword build but with intention of having energy pistol as spare.
I kind of missed the Ripper feat, i intended to max out dexterity at 16, but maybe it's worth it to up 2 points of will and get the ripper? 14 dex is still good. I only started so that's an option.
Also, are parry and riposte worth investing 2 feats? Does it work only on front atacks or all directions? What about monster melee atacks? Also i don't quiet remember many melee humanoids in original game.

2 points of dex isn't a huge difference; you could get ripper.  Parry should work against all melee attacks from all directions, or at least all mechanical ones.  I don't know if it works if you're stunned or something like that.  As for if they're worth it or not, that depends on how often you expect to be in melee getting attacked; if it's a lot, I'd say get them.  But if you're using an energy pistol, you might want to make room for feats for it. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 07:14:36 pm »
Not worth, but if you are playing easy-normal difficulties you could try for yourself. Picking Uncanny Dodge feat will give you more advantage. I have tested such kind of "tradeoff" yesterday on domi difficulty. Only essential sword feats are - Flurry and Onslaught.

P.S. There is unique sword, that you _can_ obtain in the expansion, which will give you 2 more riposte per turn, so you can change your mind based on this info.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:16:24 pm by Mindless »

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 08:03:10 pm »
I also find Flurry underwhelming, so be warned.

In theory, on paper, flurry looks nice. If you can chain hit 2-3 flurrys without missing, everything is awesome.

But in reality, it gets worse. Thing is that the most dangerous enemies are hardest to hit, and sometimes you simply miss the first attack. Then you are stuck in melee range, and it is not always possible to run away.

If you try to limit save/reload to a minimum, perhaps try other feats than flurry.

Billy_Wellington

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 11:52:46 am »
Last time i played was 4 years ago, so i went with normal diffulty. Will see if it survives the Depot A
So far i find gameplay with machete plenty fun. Are there any other sword types?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 01:37:04 pm »
Are there any other sword types?

The unique swords aren't technically machetes, but they all count as "swords". 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Billy_Wellington

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 09:29:05 am »
There is a pretty neat mod that adds energy damage to machete :o
Just need tons of bataries lol

Maliel

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 02:17:01 pm »
There is a pretty neat mod that adds energy damage to machete :o
Just need tons of bataries lol

So I've heard, but I have yet to find one, where are they?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 03:03:46 pm »
So I've heard, but I have yet to find one, where are they?

Electronics merchants and anybody that has the rarer stuff (like blaine).  I found two before depot A. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 06:21:57 pm »
PSA:  riposte does not work how commando/gun rush works; it's it's (ha) own ability in the invoker

Unless they changed commando/gun rush too?
*eurobeat intensifies*

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2019, 09:34:53 am »
You can also go for 8 Str max Dex build and use shields. They are nice for activation Riposte, since each cance is independent and Riposte works with any melee block, not only from Parry. Together with Parry, Shield arm and buffing their chances through specs you can have almost all melee atack to be blocked and activate riposte each turn.