Author Topic: Mind cracker build help  (Read 5178 times)

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Mind cracker build help
« on: July 21, 2021, 05:15:15 am »
I'm always drawn to anti-mage weapons in games. Figured I'd try a build with mind cracker as base weapon. But I'm really struggling to put something decent together.

First of all it has the same problem most anti-mage weapons have. Since it's a slow hard hitting melee weapon there is no real reason to apply psi inhibition on an enemy. Psi enemies usually have lower hp and if you're close enough to hit one with a sledgehammer chances are he is going to die.

Second it takes away your own psi capability. The best thing to complement hammers other than grenades which help every build anyway.

The only thing it has going for it is low ap cost. With lifting belt and tabis you can have 16 ap attacks but I'm not sure it really worth it.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Mind cracker build help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 06:04:05 am »
its should be a normal sledge build with focus on resisting elemental damage, dont dump mobility too

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 07:00:11 am »
I get that you can go the usual ti chrome build. I just don't understand how to use mind cracker and not feel gimped. 30% psi inhibition so it's not even guarantied. Psi user will most likely die. The only thing i can imagine using in is azuridae goliathus but it uses projection which will hard counter your hammer.

I'm really just confused by this weapon.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 07:16:47 am »
nobody said that this weapon so good you need build around it, its just a very bad tool, but if you really want you can always go for it, specc pummel go for blitz with contraction

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 07:39:01 am »
I guess it's alright if you want to use a fancy ti chrome hammer. Inability to use psi hurts quite a bit though. You can't really use firearms with hammers

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 08:10:23 am »
you can, why not, just grab versatility and max strenght

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 08:58:55 am »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:44:07 am by Guehlfirf »

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 09:19:44 am »
you can dump per entirely also grab some dodge

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 04:01:59 pm »
Mind cracker is great as a mid game weapon, since you can grab it immediately after depot A now. It’s also nice against psionic bosses like the styganian exorcist or the sisters on Forsaken Isle since they have enough health that the inhibition matters.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 04:44:59 pm »
im not sure, that you can beat that many stealthed goliaths right outa depot

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 04:50:33 pm »
im not sure, that you can beat that many stealthed goliaths right outa depot
You don’t have to beat them, you just have to get past them. You can stealth past the silent isle goliathus fairly easily with just 60 effective stealth, and you should have access to even stealthier gear past depot A. Goliathus only have 83 detection, so they aren’t a challenge to stealth past. I just recently did the mind cracker dungeon on a character with ~100 effective stealth and it only took me a couple of tries to get through.

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 01:08:02 am »
Mind cracker is great as a mid game weapon, since you can grab it immediately after depot A now. It’s also nice against psionic bosses like the styganian exorcist or the sisters on Forsaken Isle since they have enough health that the inhibition matters.

I did a hammer playthrough on hard and stygian exorcist dies in 2 hits. Sisters about the same. Maybe on dominating it matters since they would have more hp. But i think mind cracker on dominating can only bring pain to you not your enemies.

Hammer Wizard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 10:45:38 am »
>Since it's a slow hard hitting melee weapon there is no real reason to apply psi inhibition on an enemy
>si enemies usually have lower hp and if you're close enough to hit one with a sledgehammer chances are he is going to die.
But there are enemy psions that are actually not weaklings, Big Beetles and Psion bosses you get a very good use from Mind Cracker.
Otherwise you'd be right, Balor is technically better at countering psions since it reliably one hits them.
>Second it takes away your own psi capability
You're supposed to use Mind Cracker as a psiless hammerer
>With lifting belt and tabis you can have 16 ap attacks but I'm not sure it really worth it.
For mid game, it's pretty much worth it, until you can use Balor's.
Tabi hammerer exists, they are called Berserkers and are both agile and tanky sledgehammer users.

Read my hammer guide in the Build section if you need more guidance.
Also buy my mixtape.
*Snort*

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 12:28:07 pm »
I read your guide when i was starting hard playthrough and I already pirated your mixtape, sorry.

Mind cracker is fine as a mid game light hammer or a hammer for 3 int master race.

As for Psi beetles i already said they use projection so hammer is no good there. And getting into melee with multiple bugs is a suicide. About no psi the problem is playing pure melee is rough (still feel flashbacks about expedition native camps on a sword build) and i can't figure out a good way to use guns with a hammer.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:54:01 pm by Guehlfirf »

Hammer Wizard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 03:08:57 pm »
I also forgot to mention, Mind Cracker is extremely good at one specific enemy in Black Sea, psi crabs.
Given, if you psi interrumpt a psi crabbo it will snibbity snab you, but definely better than getting screwed over electricity + be perma dazed
>still feel flashbacks about expedition native camps on a sword build
Natives are specially good agains squishy glass cannons, tin cans are the best at murdering them, Berserkers are there in the middle
*Snort*