Author Topic: Battle versus the invaders (major Heavy Duty spoilers)  (Read 374 times)

Zeem

• Oculite
  • Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Battle versus the invaders (major Heavy Duty spoilers)
« on: November 05, 2023, 06:16:14 pm »
The battle against the Void invaders as a subcognator on a non-psi character on Dominating seems completely impossible. The amalgamations get too strong to even hold the line by the time I manage to clear one of the paths, and the soldiers start dying very quickly. Even with fairly high persuasion (100) and Torch every strategy I try fails by turn 4 or 5.
On top of that the entire thing is completely opaque - you get no explanation of what do technomedics and intercessors do, what Torch's Brilliance does or how buffs and debuffs affect the battle outcome. Making the descriptions of amalgamations follow the Heroes nomenclature is a neat Easter egg, but it makes them entirely incomprehensible with regard to enemy strength if one is not familiar with those games.
So I'd like to see another pass on difficulty of this fight on Dominating, especially for psiless characters, and more dialogue with Cognator with regards to the actual mechanics of this battle. At the very least he could explain what the different soldier types do, what effects their morale has on battle outcome, what the Brilliance does and how enemy numbers affect the outcome. He has no reason to withhold this information and it only makes sense for the player character to ask these questions.

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Battle versus the invaders (major Heavy Duty spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 07:13:33 pm »
The scaling of the difficulty is certainly over the top for Hard and DOM. The fight itself is very easy as psiless on Normal and TC trivializes it on all difficulties, but without TC it becomes basically impossible on higher diffs.

If it was the intent that TC makes the fight easy, then I think it probably should be conveyed somehow better to the player.
Valor's favorite poster