Author Topic: Enemies AI Suggestions  (Read 355 times)

Blackmill138

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Enemies AI Suggestions
« on: January 11, 2023, 12:35:50 am »
I think a very nice improvement to Underrail, or perhaps as something to include in Infusion, is better enemy AI. I think this would really help the game be more difficult and fun for veteran players. Here's a few examples.

• One of the most abusable AI limitations is that enemies won't use AoE abilities, such as grenades, if the player breaks line of sight. This means a very successful strategy is to hole up behind a corner or wall, outside of which the player has clear LOS to the enemies, and behind which the enemies don't have LOS to the player. By ending turn behind the corner / wall, the player doesn't face any danger. At this point, it would make total sense for enemies to chuck grenades (frag, EMP, gas, etc.) to flush the player out. Or use AoE psi abilities, if that's an option.
  • Enemies currently don't change their behavior much when they step on a trap. When this happens to an intelligent enemy, I think they should alert their allies and start patrolling. Human enemies can start throwing flares at random directions. The same could happen if a dead body is seen, although in this case, there should be a mechanic to hide corpses (e.g. corpses could be treated like items, and carried around in the player's inventory).
  • In encounters where one expects the enemies to be coordinated, such as with Protectorate soldiers, I would like to see the enemies form groups and assault as one, rather than charge the player individually. Also, tougher enemies (e.g. the dreadnoughts in Fort Apogee) could lead the assault.
  • Not exactly a matter of enemy AI, but it would be great if enemies used more abilities. I don't think I've ever seen an enemy use Quick Tinkering, Expose Weakness, Cryokinetic Orb, or Psycho-temporal Contraction.