Author Topic: Pen and Paper Underail  (Read 2701 times)

zsewqthewolf

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Pen and Paper Underail
« on: August 09, 2018, 03:39:52 am »
would be awesome if there was a pen and paper of this game like a D and D type game.

and also would be nice for a standalone software for character creation

zsewqthewolf

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Pen and Paper Underail
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:27:14 am »
That just wouldn't work. Underrail's ruleset is designed to be a computer RPG from the ground up. It's far too complex to work as a tabletop RPG.

Unless you meant the setting? I guess a GM who's familiar with Underrail could run fairly underrail-ish games in GURPS.

mmm that would be a problem, but there are in fact people like my self play complex tabletop games for the fun of it, would be nice is all for software that help with this is all

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:54:21 am »
there are in fact people like my self play complex tabletop games for the fun of it, would be nice is all for software that help with this is all
It's not like that.  Rulesets that are designed for computer games, and then tweaked for fun, end up being flat-out impossible to work in tabletop settings.  It's just the wrong tool for the job.  Take, for example, the excellent and long-running Roguelike game, Tales of Maj'Eyal.  Here's how to calculate if you hit: https://te4.org/wiki/Combat_Damage

I don't care if you play Campaign for North Africa in between turns solving nine-dimensional Rubik's cubes, that's just an impractical ruleset for a tabletop game.  I would have linked the equations and modifiers for Underrail, but I'm not sure that those are publicly known; I know I can't find them with quick Google search.

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 02:33:45 am »
atm working on a tabletop rpg with much of underrail in it, old school style...may need some help to figure out some things in the future :p

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 01:04:41 pm »
I really think that it would be meaningless to try to reproduce the actual rules of underrail into a pen and paper RPG. Really complexe and the rules take advantage of the fact that it's played on a computer.
Even though, if one tries to make it into a pen and paper RPG, it would more likely be close to a tactical board game.

What could be intresting though, would be an oversimplified version of the rules, using mostly the univers, that mix of "magic" and technology. This could be intresting and worth trying to make something.

But that's actually creating a whole new different game. A bit like turning a movie into a book.

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 02:31:02 pm »
I'm using partially the setting of Underrail (it's good but not even near to be enough for a pnp rpg), and also used a totally different, much more simple, freeform ruleset, as there's no need or no chance to make the videogame into an rpg ruleset useable by people.