Author Topic: Save Game Compatability  (Read 31310 times)

Corwin

• Noob
    • View Profile
Save Game Compatability
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »
Hi, enjoying the Alpha, but I need to know if current save games will still work after each update. I don't have time to replay all the early sections when something new is added, so if I'm going to have to do multiple re-starts, I'd prefer to wait until full release before sinking more time into the game right now. Thanks.
Editor@ RPGWatch

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Save Game Compatability
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:55 am »
I too am curious about this because I can tell that it will be easy to get hooked! I would rather wait for the full experience if save games will not translate.  I already bought the alpha because I hope this project comes to final fruition.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:48:56 pm »
I'll talk about this more very soon, but the short version is the save games will not be fully compatible between major releases.

It won't block you from loading it in the future alphas, but because of the changes I'm sure to make to areas, dialogs, etc - your saved state sometimes won't transition well to the new version in most cases.

You'll be able to export/import your character, though (NWN style). So when I add a new area to the world, you'll be able to just import your high level character and go there and do the local quests, run the dungeons, etc.

Once the game hits the final release, you'll have to start over, though (characters and all).

toudi_sk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Madbrahmin Vault Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:29:51 pm »
You'll be able to export/import your character, though (NWN style).
sounds good to me
I apologize for my google translator english

looking for NORTH? follov number 3

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:37 pm »
Perfect!!

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:33:48 pm »
You'll be able to export/import your character, though (NWN style). So when I add a new area to the world, you'll be able to just import your high level character and go there and do the local quests, run the dungeons, etc.

Will this still be possible after skill/attribute changes? or will just the numbers be transfered during the import? Because I can imagine balance issues with certain multipliers and synergies between skills.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:30:18 pm »

Will this still be possible after skill/attribute changes? or will just the numbers be transfered during the import? Because I can imagine balance issues with certain multipliers and synergies between skills.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking if it will still be compatible if I chance some skills around then yes.

In any case I don't expect too many changes in that department. What I'll probably be doing a lot is adding new feats and maybe tweaking existing ones sometimes. If I have to completely remove a feat from the game I'll refund the character with a feat point that it will have to spend during import.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:06:28 pm »
If I have to completely remove a feat from the game I'll refund the character with a feat point that it will have to spend during import.

That's what I meant, ok that's cool. It's like getting a second chance or a respec point :)

Laien

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »
You could add an optional character reset on import so we could spend all the atributes, skills, feats again to test different builds without need to go from level 1 again.