Author Topic: Feedback and requests  (Read 7339 times)

psychobilly

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Feedback and requests
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:45 pm »
First:

The game is super cool, and it's a great start to something.  It reminds me of my favorite c64 titles and that's a good thing.  The c64 game 'Mars Saga' is kind of like the grandfather of this game (whether the dev knows it or not).  However, these old c64 games had much much more content than this game.  For me, to call this a game you need at least as much content as a Wasteland, Mars Saga, Bards Tale, etc.  That's fine for an alpha, but take a look at the amount of content in these 25 year old RPG's and follow suit before you call this thing released.   Four floppy disks from the 80's should not have more content than a game release in 2013.

Dialogue:

One thing old school games did right was dialogue.  The best RPG's sometimes made players type in queries instead of always providing pre-fab answers to NPC questions.  I don't know when pre-fab dialogue came in vogue, but it was a huge step backward.  Load up your c64 emulator and play 'Newcomer' if you want to understand what I mean (another old school relative of this game).  When you force players to type in their queries, it forces them to pay attention to what all the NPC's say, and also allows for an unlimited amount of easter eggs to be put into NPC dialogue depending on what the players guess.  Keyword searches in interactive dialogue is not a programmatically difficult thing to implement, but will result in an infinitely more immersive RPG experience.

WASD for the love of God:

Please implement character mapping.  It drives me NUTS to have to pan my camera with arrow keys.  I end up sliding my keyboard to the left just to play the game.
I want to be able to set WASD camera panning, and ZXCVBN utility slots.  Then I could play the game without moving my keyboard around.  WASD camera panning should be default anyway, but at least allow a remap if not. 

Odds and ends:

Does anything spawn that is an optional component for an energy weapon?  I'm not sure if I'm getting bad dice rolls on the vendors or if nothing is implemented, however I SHOULD be able to mount a laser sight on an energy weapon.  The principle of a targeting laser is the same for bullets or plasma.  Now the icon of an energy gun makes it look like there is already a laser sight, however the precision buff is not as good as a laser sight on a mechanical gun.  Either allow me my laser sight, or increase the precision buff on laser weapons if they already have one.

Are shields in?  I made a cloaking device which was awesome (but it seemed very underpowered for the pricetag), but have not found any shield emitter parts.

Recycling needs a complete revamp.  Make it interesting and allow me a diceroll chance at getting some of the components of the item being recycled.  Like maybe I could recover a gun frame if I disassemble a gun that I find.  The chance of recovery could be modified by the appropriate skills (mechanics for disassembling guns for example).

Pickpocketing needs a slight balance and is a bit overpowered at times.  I can steal stacks of 50 bullets very early on.  I'd suggest a pickpocketing system that takes a percentage amount from large stacks rather than the entire stack (based on skill). 

Character creation needs some additions.  An in-game feat tree would be nice - some way to plan a character before you build it.  I want to know how stats impact things in more detail when I build my character.  I want to see how (for example) increasing my perception increases my detection points.  Or how increasing my con effects my fortitude and hit points.  I want to know what the heck fortitude DOES.  How is 10 fortitude different from 20.  I don't want to have to make my character BEFORE I see these things.

The buzzing noise from the in-game lights (I assume that is the source) is too much man.  After hearing that for a while I get a headache and have to take my headphones off.  Tone down the buzz please.

I'd like to be able to open locked items with alternate means from lockpicking and haxxoring.   Melee skill vs. locked box should work, and there should be small scale lock explosives in the demolitions crafting tree (use of these alternate unlocking skills should have a chance of destroying the items you are trying to get to as well).

I'll add more as I experiemnt with different builds...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:20:32 pm by psychobilly »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback and requests
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:10 pm »
One thing I really agree with is actually more detailed information about stuff. Explaining exactly what consequences and what are the needs to get stuff like for example. What is the minimum required intelligence and will to have all conversation paths open and stuff like that.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:02 pm »
As far as I know energy shields are one of the things that are still waiting for implementation. Also, while I do kinda agree on keyword search the game is already focused on the different kind of dialogue. I would guess that demanding such radical change now won't work. And, ending my two cents, I would say that using keywords to talk with NPCs isn't really that interesting as you're painting it. Especially if player forgot something (like you know, saving the game and leaving it for some time) and then remembers it and returns to playing.

It's hard enough to do that thing with normal RPGs... I wouldn't even dare to try with keyword ones.

psychobilly

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:42 am »
As far as I know energy shields are one of the things that are still waiting for implementation. Also, while I do kinda agree on keyword search the game is already focused on the different kind of dialogue. I would guess that demanding such radical change now won't work. And, ending my two cents, I would say that using keywords to talk with NPCs isn't really that interesting as you're painting it. Especially if player forgot something (like you know, saving the game and leaving it for some time) and then remembers it and returns to playing.

It's hard enough to do that thing with normal RPGs... I wouldn't even dare to try with keyword ones.

Sounds like you have never played a cRPG with keyword dialogues.  It is pretty scary to me that RPG's are made so easy and have been dumbed down so much over the years.  This may be a shock to you but gamers actually used to take notes on what NPC's said so that they did NOT forget, and this complexity was actually part of the fun of the design.  If you think that is 'hard' to do, well it is something I did with RPG's when I was 8 years old.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:26:20 am »
Just because you did it, it doesn't means people will find it particularly fun. Now don't get me wrong, I love myself some roleplay, be it over the net or tabletop (yeah I know this is going to get completly taken out of context your pervs! :P) but I don't find that appealing in the least in vidio games.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 08:16:56 am »
I personally don't like keyword based dialogue (it's one of the features that I particularly dislike in the upcoming wasteland 2) because I find it being impersonal and lack immersion, I like having lots of elaborated choices because it adds a layer of presence that I think is important for games of this type.

The main reason I hated the Morrowind dialogue system was that it was basically a redesign of the Daggerfall system (which was the most impersonal dialogue system I've used) and even made it worse and less personal. It's like every character is a vending machine of information. Also, Mass Effect.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:05 am »
Sounds like you have never played a cRPG with keyword dialogues.  It is pretty scary to me that RPG's are made so easy and have been dumbed down so much over the years.  This may be a shock to you but gamers actually used to take notes on what NPC's said so that they did NOT forget, and this complexity was actually part of the fun of the design.  If you think that is 'hard' to do, well it is something I did with RPG's when I was 8 years old.

When people will learn that 'being hard' or 'being tedious' isn't necessary definition of fun? Also is taking notes fun for you? Not getting immersed enough to know what should you do next? Keeping a piece of paper full of puzzles which may or may not be useful and hoping it gets you further into the game? That is not my definition of fun. You may be one of the people who play 'Legend of Grimrock' with 'no map option' and think writing it down is all fun and games, but it clearly isn't such joy for everyone else, eh? So forcing it down their throat in the name 'RPGs should be hard, like old times' isn't gonna work.

And sorry, but glorification won't work on me. I did play some later 'keyword based' RPGs and I clearly think they sucked. I much more prefer a coherent story with you know, dialogue and personalities not keyword shooting when you're stuck!

Lastly... I do kinda agree with dumbing down and making games more approachable, but seriously I have enough selfconfidence to just ignore the games made for 'casual crowd' (with big wink!). And BTW since when RPGs became something we must toil in sweat and blood to aquire? They used to be, you know... fun? So please don't don't feel resentful - I do get it's your personal opinion, but so is mine. And I do feel that asking some things you wanted to, at this stage of developement is just nostalgia glasses which get forced on the game...

So yeah.

psychobilly

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:23:28 pm »

When people will learn that 'being hard' or 'being tedious' isn't necessary definition of fun? Also is taking notes fun for you? Not getting immersed enough to know what should you do next? Keeping a piece of paper full of puzzles which may or may not be useful and hoping it gets you further into the game? That is not my definition of fun. You may be one of the people who play 'Legend of Grimrock' with 'no map option' and think writing it down is all fun and games, but it clearly isn't such joy for everyone else, eh? So forcing it down their throat in the name 'RPGs should be hard, like old times' isn't gonna work.

Lastly... I do kinda agree with dumbing down and making games more approachable, but seriously I have enough selfconfidence to just ignore the games made for 'casual crowd' (with big wink!). And BTW since when RPGs became something we must toil in sweat and blood to aquire? They used to be, you know... fun? So please don't don't feel resentful - I do get it's your personal opinion, but so is mine. And I do feel that asking some things you wanted to, at this stage of developement is just nostalgia glasses which get forced on the game...

So yeah.

As a kid, I never saw taking investigation notes as tedious.  The thought would never have occurred to me then or now.  But that's a generational thing perhaps.

Let me clarify my suggestion a bit though...

I actually like what Fargo is doing with Wasteland 2, and think it would be the right solution for Underrail.   If you look at the demo video, he has a dialogue box with pre-fab answers (similar to what underrail has now) but in addition there is also a text box underneath.  So you only need to select the boxed answers to play the game, and it remembers some things for you so you don't have to write everything down.  BUT, if you want to go into deeper questioning with the text box, you can do that.  It offers quick answers for the ADD gamer generation while allowing for deep questioning and easter eggs for those who want to search and take notes.  Underrail could add this to the existing system without needing to change any of the old content.  I can't see how this suggestion would change your expereince:  You could play the game exactly as you do now.

Obviously the success of kickstarters like Wasteland 2 should give you an idea that there is some money to be made in having 'nostalgia glasses'.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:43 pm »
It offers quick answers for the ADD gamer generation while allowing for deep questioning and easter eggs for those who want to search and take notes.

Stopped reading there, if you can't disagree without going for that card, then I'd rather not listen to your future opinions. Justifying ones "superiority" by calling on others for being the "ADD generation" is not only clueless but also very disrespectful. This is one of the main reasons I drag myself from reading forums about cRPGs from < 2000, the elitism is too high.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 04:47:35 pm »
Again psychobilly, not everyone enjoys that and more to the point. People don't want content locked away from them because they don'tt want to go into that system. I'd hate the idea of having that and i belive the vast majority of the people who currently play the game and future players would hate such system. This game isn't being made to appeal to that infinitively small niche of people who like text adventures.

psychobilly

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 04:54:15 pm »
It offers quick answers for the ADD gamer generation while allowing for deep questioning and easter eggs for those who want to search and take notes.

Stopped reading there, if you can't disagree without going for that card, then I'd rather not listen to your future opinions. Justifying ones "superiority" by calling on others for being the "ADD generation" is not only clueless but also very disrespectful. This is one of the main reasons I drag myself from reading forums about cRPGs from < 2000, the elitism is too high.

It seems to me that if you find the core systems implemented by the classic 'adventure' game (i.e. typing in text to solve puzzles) 'tedious' and 'unfun' then yes I think it's possible you have some attention deficit issues.  Talking about the ADD generation is in fact a scientific truth (though ADHD is the proper term).  Here are some numbers for you:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/adhd.htm

Don't take what people say on forums personally - I didn't mean to blanket bash.  Any kids playing this game are well ahead of the curve.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 05:08:00 pm »
The reason I dislike keyword based systems is that it creates a barrier between the npc and the player which causes a disconnect, it feels impersonal and it's no fun. I prefer proper dialogue trees because then the character respond to the whole thing said and provide context rather than picking up on a specific word and ask about it, you don't do that in the real world (mostly), why would in a game if the dialogue tree system works wonders?

I'm currently developing a game that is all about puzzles and reading so no, I don't think it's tedious or unfun when it's put in the right context. But when I talk with npcs in games, I like it to be personal and engaging, not like I'm on a lecture taking notes.

I dont take it personaly, I just don't like it when people talk like that and I call out on it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:12:09 pm by nackidno »

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 05:37:46 pm »
While I do agree with the opinion that the newest generation of gamers is indeed focused on speed, getting fast satisfaction and 'easy points' (this is of course a bit of generalisation), but the answer to this isn't going back in time. I don't know if I should remind you that most of the solutions used in early RPGs/adventure games were there because: it was easier to implement (from the technical and writing standpoint), everybody was doing it and of course nobody expected anything else. They're not ideal. Neither are of course dialogue trees. But I do see them as advance...

Underrail isn't the same as Wasteland 2. It's stands on it's own. Returning to your suggestion - while kickstarter for W2 indeed gave expectations of remaking the old type of RPG with the Underrail it isn't the case. Styg already said that most of the mechanics are already implemented and what is left - the content - is something else entirely. I also don't know if you researched this before but Styg is only one guy. It's one man project. Wanting such big change and saying: 'Underrail could add this to the existing system without needing to change any of the old content' is a bit you know... thoughtless?

And while I do get what are you saying with the W2 and Shadowrun being remade with Kickstarter it still just means that there are some people who like this stuff. Older games. Better times for developer. And this whole 'the grass was greener' deal. But what does it mean? Did you play Shadowrun Returns? How rehashing the nostalgia worked? For me it was bland as soup without salt. I can't speak for Wastelands 2. Yet. But sometimes people should let old ideas and games rest in peace.

psychobilly

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »

Underrail isn't the same as Wasteland 2. It's stands on it's own. Returning to your suggestion - while kickstarter for W2 indeed gave expectations of remaking the old type of RPG with the Underrail it isn't the case. Styg already said that most of the mechanics are already implemented and what is left - the content - is something else entirely. I also don't know if you researched this before but Styg is only one guy. It's one man project. Wanting such big change and saying: 'Underrail could add this to the existing system without needing to change any of the old content' is a bit you know... thoughtless?

And while I do get what are you saying with the W2 and Shadowrun being remade with Kickstarter it still just means that there are some people who like this stuff. Older games. Better times for developer. And this whole 'the grass was greener' deal. But what does it mean? Did you play Shadowrun Returns? How rehashing the nostalgia worked? For me it was bland as soup without salt. I can't speak for Wastelands 2. Yet. But sometimes people should let old ideas and games rest in peace.

Of course there were tons of old school games that were bad.

Shadowrun returns was horrible.  You can't even put Shadowrun and Wasteland in the same sentence in my book.  Wasteland 1 was a true sandbox - go anywhere do what you want, even if it means walking into a high level area and getting wasted at level 1.  The new Shadowrun is completely linear and boring.  However, it has prescripted dialogue trees the same way that Underrail does so in that sense they are the same (and the NPC interaction is horribly boring for me in both).

Every single core element of Underrail was implemented, at least in part, by one or another c64 game back in the 80's.  I have no idea how you are going to talk about letting old ideas rest in peace.... if you like Underrail that means you like the old ideas.  You can not name one new innovation in Underrail, and that is perfectly fine.  It has 90% of the best elements from the old games.  But there is still another 10% of the (good) old ideas that could be added imo.  Hybrid dialogues is one of them. 

Do me a favor:  spend 10 minutes and download a c64 emulator, and track down the roms for a game called 'newcomer'.  It is, I think, one of the most complex/deep/interesting/difficult RPG's in the history of cRPG's (orders of magnitude more difficult than Underrail).  If you play this for a bit and still think the complexity of hybrid dialogue is a bad thing, I will be surprised.  Then again, many would only see the graphics and write it off.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 08:57:32 pm »
Of course there were tons of old school games that were bad.

Shadowrun returns was horrible.  You can't even put Shadowrun and Wasteland in the same sentence in my book.  Wasteland 1 was a true sandbox - go anywhere do what you want, even if it means walking into a high level area and getting wasted at level 1.  The new Shadowrun is completely linear and boring.  However, it has prescripted dialogue trees the same way that Underrail does so in that sense they are the same (and the NPC interaction is horribly boring for me in both).

Every single core element of Underrail was implemented, at least in part, by one or another c64 game back in the 80's.  I have no idea how you are going to talk about letting old ideas rest in peace.... if you like Underrail that means you like the old ideas.  You can not name one new innovation in Underrail, and that is perfectly fine.  It has 90% of the best elements from the old games.  But there is still another 10% of the (good) old ideas that could be added imo.  Hybrid dialogues is one of them. 

Do me a favor:  spend 10 minutes and download a c64 emulator, and track down the roms for a game called 'newcomer'.  It is, I think, one of the most complex/deep/interesting/difficult RPG's in the history of cRPG's (orders of magnitude more difficult than Underrail).  If you play this for a bit and still think the complexity of hybrid dialogue is a bad thing, I will be surprised.  Then again, many would only see the graphics and write it off.

I see you're not getting the point I'm making about the Shadowrun - it's a KS made game which didn't really work. It has the same world, similar karma system and tries hard to emulate 'good old times'. It failed. The only new game I can think of (maybe there are some indies, I guess Spiderweb Software games) using 'typing in' kind of interface is just the Wasteland 2 which conveniently hasn't been released. Why should it work? Because 'it's sandbox game'? Because it worked before? Look how Duke Nukem failed when it tried to answer the nostalgia call (I'm not saying it's crash is only this... nope). And here you are asking it to be put into the game again... to add eastereggs. To add more content only for those foolhardy enough to find the little bit of dialogue hidden from us. Like somebody asked up in the thread - what is the point? Other people will feel like being cut off from the meat of the game. Not everybody likes hunting for little hints. For me it's too much of a reminder how poetry lessons were in school or at college.

Getting out to the masses isn't a bad thing. Artificially making game harder is. I'm not talking about Dark Souls style of difficulty. More like when you can only save at checkpoints. Badly put checkpoints. Or forcing player to learn new language just to play the game (it's kinda okay in puzzle games tho). Our hobby is no longer just a few guys in a room with a dice. It's for others too. I don't care for elitism in any form, and it sure smells like one.

Every single core element... do you mean every single core element of RPGs? Because if that's the case then we can be bold and say that cRPGs are just RL RPGs. The only thing changed is medium right? Inventory, skills, statistics, talking to NPCs... and mind you even when playing paper RPGs you're forced to do sentences. To 'talk', not just spew numbers and 'critical' single words. At least that's how it worked when my GM was having fun with us... so if we're going about what was first, then obviously the 'word is a key' is something that was cut down, right? ;]. To met the expectations of computer gaming...

It's all about the implementation. It's true that the things that you're dismissing with 'if only graphic matter for you' are important too! Hell. I play roguelikes when I need one thing. Skyrim when other, and Counter Strike or some MMO when another. Yes sometimes graphic matter too. You know, immersion? How the dragon roars, the screen shakes and fire sizzles? It's a lot different then it's just written on the screen. We are beings who use our touch and our eyes to maximum.

And I do think that getting back to the 'write the word and hope it's the correct one' minigame each time I'm talking to NPC (and guessing which has a line attached to it) is going back to old ways. That is why I said that we should let old ideas rest. Or pixelunting if we're talking about old, stupid rituals. Also the 'writing the stuff down' idea... if a company will give me compelling story I will just sit down and live this story. You don't need to use keywords to get lore done. Like in Baldur's Gate each unique magical item had it's history. Like people living in town weren't just bland NPCs. Like books in Elder Scrolls series. Even like wretched audiologs. There are much more things that can immerse in the story. I just think that some things from the older games - just like keyword searching - are just a headache and they really don't do much. And yes. It's tedious. It's not fun.

That is what I'm saying about letting the old rest. There are new things that can carry the story. In the past it wasn't possible - just because computer power limitations. Now it is... so why forcing people to turn back? Even greatest graphical fidelity won't swallow the great story. For people who came for the story.

Rant end, lol.

Anyway, I didn't play the Newcomer, but there are other ones, using this system I did (I'm more Amiga generation). And, to be honest most of the time I had the feeling that RPG I'm playing is getting out the great story omitting the awful player interface. Of course I wasn't thinking that at the time I was playing it for the first time... but then I didn't know anything better that existed. I do now. That is why I react so violently to anyone trying to backtrack :P.