Author Topic: suggestion re: 50 point skill hump  (Read 7653 times)

screeg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
suggestion re: 50 point skill hump
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:31:55 pm »
The current method of skill progression, where you get up to 50, then have to sink a ton of points to get past 50, is really off putting.  I'm not sure about the logic behind it, but a less harsh transition would be welcome.  Thanks!

I'm also hoping the final game won't have such a profusion of locked empty containers.  I don't mind searching ten shelves and finding ten empty shelves, but IMO any locked container should have something in it (or else why is it locked?), and not something from the lowest random item tier, ie. fabric scraps or a single bullet.

On the topic of bullets, why are JHP and armor piercing rounds so goddawful rare?  In a game like Fallout or JA2, exotic rounds probably accounted for ~25% of total ammunition found/bought.  In Underrail, I have to play for an hour to assemble one clip of JHP, including purchased rounds, which makes them functionally useless since I don't want to be switching out clips mid-fight.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion re: 50 point skill hump
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:11:02 pm »
What skill point hump? You get one skill point per one skill point invested.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:26:01 pm »
Skill point have no hump. They are always traded at 1 point per one point (of course bonus or penalties acording to your primary skill will influence you effective value at the end).

For ammo... Yeah I don't bother with using special ammo since in the alpha there isn't a need for special rounds though I have no doubts that in the future there might be a need. Still I am pretty confident that when the need for those arise it will be very situational and you just have a save before that encounter, you load the ammo you need and by the end of the encounter you switch back to regular.

Lastly. Yes, this annoys me to no end. If I am wasting energy or lockpicks then I should be getting something in return rather than actually get nothing after nothing after nothing which has happened quite frequently.

Kaerius

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:59:19 am »
EDIT: I stand corrected.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:35:05 pm by Kaerius »

Prophet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:14 am »
In Underrail, you can mix different ammo types in your magazines, so even a few special rounds always help without needing extra reloads ;)
That's incorrect. If you reload using non-standard ammo, even with a partially full magazine, you'll only end up with the non-standard ammo loaded. If you have non-standard ammo loaded and reload using regular ammo, you'll have only regular ammo loaded.

There is an option to load just one bullet, so that way you can mix it up.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:52:17 am by Prophet »

Kaerius

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:37:00 pm »
Huh. I never actually used that function... seems like a waste of time to do mid-combat though, but that's an interesting way to prepare.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:55:56 pm »
You could make a special magazine for enemy types, with the first bullet of each burst being effective against a type of target, or maybe use a single shot weapon with varied types to always deal good damage.^^
Nontheless, that seems like a hassle.
Maybe in future places we can buy mixed magazines?
Say, 50%AP? ^^
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

screeg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »
Or Styg could make exotic ammo less rare, so we could actually use it once in a while.  :)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 06:38:54 pm »
Or Styg could make exotic ammo less rare, so we could actually use it once in a while.  :)

Is it really that rare? I'll look into it.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:33:18 pm »
PS. do you still have plans to introduce unique special ammo for each caliber?

Yes.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »
So we can get Tandem charge projectiles for that 12.7mm sniper?  8)
I'd still the option to buy mixed magazines at later game stores, to account for the rarity of those bullets.
AP Mag for 3 shot burst weapon? 1 AP, 2 Standard.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

SagaDC

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:21:13 am »
I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, but I have had a few characters run into an odd phenomenon where I would add points to their skills - but the total skill value (after synergy bonuses / penalties) wouldn't change. I've made so many different characters, though, that I honestly can't remember which ones I had this problem with.

I want to say that it was something I only tended to encounter when heavily investing in skills with multiple synergy bonuses.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »
So basically if you cap your skill, you won't get anything from synergies. Synergies are there only to boost related skills a bit when you don't invest in those as much.

This is so to prevent people from feeling required to invest in the synergized skills just so to boost their primary skill.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:48:45 pm »
Is this the case during character creation as well? Because if I put 15 points into mechanics and electronics they are boosted to 16.  Isn't 15 the highest skill lvl on lvl 1?

Or maybe I completely misunderstood everything you're talking about? :P

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
Oh alright, silly of me, missed that part thanks ;)