Author Topic: Character portrait in the dialogue UI?  (Read 1345 times)

Kartik100

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Character portrait in the dialogue UI?
« on: December 30, 2019, 10:01:07 am »
This is one of the few CRPGs I played where the official portraits were so cool looking I felt no need to go hunting for customs. The art is sorta wasted though as it's only on a tiny corner of the screen, and usually hard to see due to the lighting effects (great concept by the way).

Most other CRPGs show your portrait on the dialogue UI though where it is prominently displayed either on the opposite end of the NPC portrait in the dialogue box, or below the NPC portrait (next to the player's dialogue options). It could work here too, especially since dialogue box portraits are immune to lighting effects.

Not really an issue or something to require immediate attention of course, but something to consider for a sequel.

mephisto

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Character portrait in the dialogue UI?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:11:51 pm »
well, considering that we never "actually" speak or have our own dialogues apart from choices of reply, it makes sense.
even the main character's thoughts are represented in a form of narration (green texts).
if we want to see our own portrait, then we have to have our own dialogues.
i don't think Styg will add new dialogues for the main character, still possible if Styg would change the narrations into monologues.
maybe we would have it in the next game (hopefully), who knows.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:14:50 pm by mephisto »

Kartik100

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 06:04:17 pm »
well, considering that we never "actually" speak or have our own dialogues apart from choices of reply, it makes sense.
even the main character's thoughts are represented in a form of narration (green texts).
if we want to see our own portrait, then we have to have our own dialogues.
i don't think Styg will add new dialogues for the main character, still possible if Styg would change the narrations into monologues.
maybe we would have it in the next game (hopefully), who knows.

Nah bro, it's like in games like Pathfinder Kingmaker, Divinity Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity etc. The dialogue is presented in the same way as in Underrail (I think that's just the norm for CRPGs), but you get a portrait for your guy on the UI too.

As I said, it's nothing big. Maybe it just seems odd to me because I play CRPGs all the time and I'm used to this little detail.

mephisto

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:27:56 am »
in Pillars of Eternity, we get our portrait shown when we were "thinking", it's a monologue, so it makes sense.
unlike in UnderRail where we never think, our thoughts are presented in narrations like i said before.
and in that game, our portrait do not show up when we choose a reply while conversing with an NPC, same thing happen in UnderRail.

Original Sin 2, now that's different, we get to see our portrait when we're making a choice for a reply.

speaking of little detail, i really hope Styg could add some voices for combat instead, like "Aargh!" if someone is being hit, or "Whaaaa...!!" if someone is set on fire, or "Hurrrr..." if someone is hit with electricity, or "Brrrrrr..." if someone is hit with frost. it's also a minor thing, trust me. even Styg can record his own or his female friends' voice for that kind of thing.