Author Topic: Psi beetle or psi crab carapace armour?  (Read 2974 times)

Xeuix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Psi beetle or psi crab carapace armour?
« on: March 15, 2020, 09:37:42 pm »
I'm running a tranquility psi build, and was wondering which of the two you would choose to craft your armour? I obtained a high quality psi crab carapace, but the high armour penalty will stop me from moving around (and thus, less things to do per turn). Would like to hear your thoughts and preferences. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:53:25 am by Xeuix »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Psi beetle or psi crab carapace armour?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:13:05 am »
If you get a good 90+ quality drop from a Goliath Azuridae, that's your end-game piece.  They go up a little higher, but 90-anything is good enough.  The 10% psi cost reduction is enough to outweigh the benefits of the psi crab.

Psi crab does give a lot of physical and electrical threshold, and a nice bit of fire threshold and resistance.  And since psi haste ignores armor penalty, you can move around OK.  But regen 2 is nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to 10% cost reduction.  The one real advantage psi crab offers is that with high quality kevlar cloth, you can basically become immune to enemy bullets except for sniper rifles.  You can get your bullet DT way over 100 with kevlar cloth and psi crab, meaning you can simply ignore firearms.  But as a psi character, you should have enough ways to completely avoid getting hit that you don't worry about reducing damage taken.

Xeuix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:23 am »
The highest quality psi-beetle carapace I found is 58, can't seem to find any higher. For the psi-crab, I found 100+ on my first kill! I think i'll go with psi-beetle, but I will try to find a higher quality carapace. Quality is totally random, right?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:31:42 pm »
Quality is totally random, right?
It's random within a set range.  Regular psi beetles cannot have as high a quality carapace as the Goliaths, so you don't need to worry too much about the regular beetles. If you go north from the Rail Crossing train station, you'll encounter a couple siphoners, then two maps in a row with Goliath beetles.  They respawn, there, so it's a good place to farm high quality carapace if the RNG isn't kind to you.  If you don't get a good drop in either of those two screens, one more screen north you'll find four more siphoners, then go east a screen and there's one more group of Azuridae.

Xeuix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:00:04 pm »
Yes that's true - I tried going after that Goliath (loaded the same save over 20 times) and couldn't get a carapace higher than 58. RNG is not on my side!  :D

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 09:11:05 pm »
Yes that's true - I tried going after that Goliath (loaded the same save over 20 times) and couldn't get a carapace higher than 58. RNG is not on my side!  :D
That could be the problem.  Styg has made changes to UnderRail over the last couple years that reduce the amount of randomness.  One of those changes, I believe, was that the drop quality of items is set on monster creation.  That means reloading the same save again and again will get you the same quality drops, again and again.  You would probably be better off to kill those Goliaths, then go do some other things, and come back when different Goliaths have spawned.

Xeuix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 09:27:39 pm »
Ahh that changes everything!! Thanks for the heads up - I'll do just that.

Xeuix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 09:19:21 am »
You were right - obtained a 104q psi-beetle carapace. Crafted myself a regenerative vest! Thanks :D