Author Topic: Graphics: Anti-aliasing, smooth edges?  (Read 1445 times)

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Graphics: Anti-aliasing, smooth edges?
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:21:13 pm »
I really love this game and the direction the development is going. However, I wonder if there could be an easy way to add a little polish to the graphics. The tilesets include a lot of straight edges and redesigning everything propably isn't worth the trouble, but maybe we could use some anti-aliasing (or similar) filters to soften the rough edges? For example, I like the fact that you can see the amount of lightning for every square separately, but I wonder if the transition from one square could be a bit smoother.

This is really just about polishing, but if adding a few graphical tricks like this isn't too difficult, I think it would really add to the value of this game.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics: Anti-aliasing, smooth edges?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:03:56 pm »
nah, hard edges and sharp light variance between tiles stays, the engine is custom made with a quite old framework, fixing all of that isn't that easy because it would need a total rework of the drawing call as he is written from scratch (where unity or the unreal engine have already finished stuff for out of the box development)

We try to get the maximum out of the engine taking into account the constraints we have.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics: Anti-aliasing, smooth edges?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:55:33 pm »
I see and I'm cool with that. I still remember though back from the 90's when we experimented with "plasma effects" and various other graphical tricks that there are quite a few tricks that you can do even with simple draw routines. Smoothing filter which is applied on the picture on the buffer before it's copied to the screen is not theoretically difficult to write and there are lots of premade routines for it. Of course it requires work, but I'd encourage you to take a look at it. IMO such tweaking fits the retro gaming feel perfectly.  :)