Poll

I'll just leave this there...

This game need a randomly generated maps, to keep player entertained and battle ready.
0 (0%)
This game need worldmap with random encounters and fast travel.
1 (16.7%)
This game need edit tools (Well, that's obvious)
1 (16.7%)
This game need randomly placed, respawning enemies, just to spice up gameplay and keep you battle ready.
3 (50%)
All of the above.
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Maybe it is too much but...  (Read 5044 times)

Voiddweller

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Maybe it is too much but...
« on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:21 pm »
I just wish at certain point of development there will be a procedurally generated dungeon maps. And editing tools. That may expand gameplay significantly. Right now game is too boring, gathering resources is repetitive and time consuming, unless you cheat, and there is no fun looting all the same respawning enemies at exact spawning spots, in hope to gather enough trade material to buy consumables for tough battles. That's it.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe it is too much but...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
Map is my oldest dream, like year ago. )

Gman

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:58:33 pm »
Doubt such 'randomized' maps will be a thing with this and for a normal RPG-like game such as this, kinda like it how it is.  Now, editing tools I am all for, as I cannot be the only one who envisions certain quest lines going way beyond where they seem to end with several factions.

I've never had such repetition issues though play a crafter, so the only thing that I must return to continually is the various traders in 'sell' runs when looking for armor/weapon components and high-quality things.  Rarely had to farm respawning enemies either, as with repairing what other stuff looted, never needed MORE.  Fully-repaired things sell for a fuckton.

Voiddweller

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:17:38 am »
IIRC Styg tried procedurally generated dungeons during very early development phase, but that idea got scrapped because he couldn't balance enemy encounters in them like he wanted.

But who knows what awaits us in Deep Caverns? ;)
You know, when i was playing Fallout 1 very first time i never felt like i want to delete damn game because it forces mo to fight with bare hands and infinitely save/load progress. Because fallout had a very smooth gameplay, and i always had fun. Underrail is VERY strict and unforgiving. It enforces a lot of repetitive activities on player, just like some online games. It's a shame because there is a huge potential in it. And if someone thinks that procedural generation will hurt balance, better look at Sword of The Stars: The Pit. This roguelike is ALWAYS fun, even though it may be hard as hell sometimes. And you can always cheat and still have fun. Also look at Geneforge game series. Very similar gameplay, like maps fully cleanable from hostility and stuff like that, but even first Geneforge have a lot more content.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 02:43:46 am »
Underrail is only very "strict and unforgiving" in one sense, there are three ways to play and virtually no room for deviation on those three "trunks"

-Heavy armor, high con, guns/hammer/(formerly psi), *
-Light armor, evasion, stealth, high combat/psi,*
-light armor, stealth, high subterfuge, *

Following those, underrail is actually quite easy and forgiving even with terribly chosen feats.

Voiddweller

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:02:23 am »
It's more like Dwarf Fortress than Fallout in that regard. :)
I disagree. Dwarf Fortress is either roguelike, or a colony builder. And it's procedurally generated and fun, because there is always a new environment and experience. Underrail is a Fallout clone, and honestly, if you like challenge, there is always a difficulty levels. I just used Cheat Engine and all difficulty vaporized, and only boring gameplay left. Only good thing is crafting and exploring, because combat mechanics is weird and enemies have superhuman perception. I see no point in mastering "character builds" or scavenging mushrooms for overpowered psi abilities. I see no point in waiting until vendors recharge their timers, so i can sell all crafted stuff.  It's just... Fallout was released 20(!) years ago, and there still nothing near smooth and polished as it is. There is a Jagged Alliance 2 fan made code expansion and even open source build, there is an Open X-Com project, Sfall library and FOnline engine, and all that keeps nearly 1/4 century old games still playable and good. I can't understand why people keep making weird games like Wasteland 2, that feels like oversimplified console junk. Damn, there even console games like Metal Max series that is much more fun than Wasteland 2. Don't make such mistakes, Styg. Seriously. Awesome art, cool crafting system, good weapon arsenal and unique enemies, especially animals. Intriguing story as far i can see at this point. But no replayability. Even mentioned Wasteland 2 have more. It's just... Unfair :(

Gman

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 06:20:08 am »
Underrail is a singleplayer, story RPG.  Comparing that to roguelikes is not even worth comparing.  The Pit, while it has a story, doesn't actually have one for you to experience in a single playthrough.  You find it out, if you Want to, while just constantly dying and going through it over and over.  That is not a story really, just an experience you can choose to participate in.

About randomness, can sort of agree.  Do wish there was a bit more 'living' vibe to the towns and travel.  A slight chance your train is waylaid by bandits and a cave-in?  PLEASE.  A random mugging one zone outside of Foundry by ironheads.  As it stands, pretty much after you deal with an area, you rarely have to worry about anything new going on when passing through.  Kill section of zoners, a worse gang doesn't move in after so long. It just stays empty.  This kind of emptiness gives me a Sad.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »
All those FOnline-based MMORPGs with tiny playerbase have been somewhat disappointing, although pleasantly hardcore compared to mass market MMOs.

Well, I took a part in Fonline for two years. The most fun part was at first mass open launch, when were more then thousand players, no teamspeak\skype, so we used radio\ingame chat.
But after year it wasn't so fun, new player can't accomadate to difficulties, if you'll die, you lost all your stuff, so without your fraction\gung you're basically nothing etc.

Do wish there was a bit more 'living' vibe to the towns and travel.  A slight chance your train is waylaid by bandits and a cave-in?  PLEASE.  A random mugging one zone outside of Foundry by ironheads.  As it stands, pretty much after you deal with an area, you rarely have to worry about anything new going on when passing through.  Kill section of zoners, a worse gang doesn't move in after so long. It just stays empty.  This kind of emptiness gives me a Sad.

I said it more than year ago too. Well, I can assume, Styg doesn't have so many resources to do that.
First 6 outposts still empty till game ends.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:55:38 pm by Fenix »