Author Topic: Heavy Punch is useless?  (Read 4040 times)

Dr_Nomz

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Heavy Punch is useless?
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:02:59 am »
It says it doubles the AP cost for 180% damage. This means two turns worth of punching for less damage. What is the point of that? Why would anyone take such a useless feat?

Quidam Craft

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Punch is useless?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:18:10 am »
Armor is mainly the answer.

It will, against armored foes, more than double the damage.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 02:58:19 pm »
I've never tested it, but couldn't you get a FALCON PUNCH by using heavy punch on the 4th hit of combo and the 4th hit of pneumatic gloves?
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tahoefox

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:15:13 pm »
I've never tested it, but couldn't you get a FALCON PUNCH by using heavy punch on the 4th hit of combo and the 4th hit of pneumatic gloves?

This absolutely works, but combo triggers on the third hit, so it takes some management to get them to line up.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 02:46:51 pm »
This absolutely works, but combo triggers on the third hit, so it takes some management to get them to line up.
High Dex builds can still get 12 or more attacks a turn without too much trouble.  It's pretty nice when it all comes together.

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 07:10:05 pm »
High Dex builds can still get 12 or more attacks a turn without too much trouble.  It's pretty nice when it all comes together.
What's your favorite fast-attack psi-monk build? 16DEX? What secondary do you prioritize, WIL or STR?

Tahoefox

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:55:00 pm »
What's your favorite fast-attack psi-monk build? 16DEX? What secondary do you prioritize, WIL or STR?

Minimum AP cost is 4 so 12 attacks is your maximum. With tabi and Lightning Punches you can reach this with 14 Dexterity, assuming you're using leather gloves. If you're using metal you'll probably want to go to 16.

For a fast attacking build I would probably take Will over Strength. Psi-monk builds are usually pretty MAD, you'll often find yourself wanting at least 8 Dexterity for Lightning Punches, 7 Will for Force User, 6 Intelligence for Premeditation and Cheap Shots, and 6 Agility for Sprint. If you dump Constitution you might be able to reach 7 or 8 Strength, but I doubt that's worth it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:12:25 pm by Tahoefox »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 09:09:18 pm »

Minimum AP cost is 4 so 12 attacks is your maximum.
That's a pretty bold (and limiting) assumption, that you only have 50AP.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 02:20:42 am »
One thing to consider with fist builds is that you can get your AP down to 4 without tabis, eventually.  So you could actually use infused rathound spiked boots.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tahoefox

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 03:25:11 am »

Minimum AP cost is 4 so 12 attacks is your maximum.
That's a pretty bold (and limiting) assumption, that you only have 50AP.

Well, you've got me there. Sources of extra AP usually have a short duration and a long cooldown, so I don't consider them when I'm building a character. You're right though, I think you can get 22 attacks if you use adrenaline and Blitz.

One thing to consider with fist builds is that you can get your AP down to 4 without tabis, eventually.  So you could actually use infused rathound spiked boots.

This is a good argument for taking dexterity to 16 +1 from food. I usually stop at 14 because AP cost is the same from 14 to 16 and I usually end up needing those points elsewhere.