Author Topic: Josh Culler Appreciation Post  (Read 3439 times)

brobotics

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Josh Culler Appreciation Post
« on: July 29, 2020, 05:15:03 pm »
Josh Culler is seriously on the level of Kelly Bailey when it comes to soundtracks. Stygian Software's games just wouldn't be the same without that final atmospheric touch he brings to every location.

Do you guys feel the same way or am I the only one enamored by his contribution? 

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Josh Culler Appreciation Post
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 05:19:56 pm »
Does anybody *not* like the soundtrack?
*eurobeat intensifies*

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:38:17 am »
I'm happy to join in appreciation of Josh Culler. I agree his work is top tier and deserves special recognition.

I don't understand how he's writing for little guys like Styg and dcfedor (NeoScavenger dev) instead of raking in the big moneys from the big boys. I feel conflicted about this: I hate to see such talent seemingly (mostly) unrecognized, but I also want his music in the games I actually play.

I had not heard of Kelly Bailey, I'll check him out.

Vokial

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 11:35:33 am »
Some ambient tracks were clsoe reminders of what we heard in Fallout 1 and 2 by Mark Morgan. Which is awesome.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 02:41:11 pm »
The soundtrack is almost universally praised. Josh did an outstanding job.

Exterminator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 02:42:08 pm »
Josh Culler is an awesome composer. I love the "Scientific" track for UR!
But don't forget guys, that we also have Ryan Eston Paul - author of the killer soundtrack for The Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats!
https://soundcloud.com/osiginon/the-imperial-guards
https://soundcloud.com/osiginon/they-came-to-crucify-us
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:44:49 pm by Exterminator »

Elite

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 03:03:27 pm »
Josh has done for Underrail as Frank Klepacki did for the C&C games.

Thanks for all your hard work and great tracks, Underrail wouldn't be the same without them.

Hekantonkheires

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 01:13:04 pm »
Hi everyone this is Josh, thanks for the compliments..  Underrail was really fun to work on.  Post-apocalyptic industrial music is in my top favorites, especially when its themed around sci-fi elements and other strangeness.

Im still working with Dan at Blue Bottle games as well, and I already completed the soundtrack for his next game Ostranauts a while ago - once its released on Steam the OST will also be on sale as well and it also includes a full bonus album of material .. the steam link for the game is here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022980/Ostranauts/

If anyone has questions or comments about other projects, please feel free to email me!

Elite

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 01:19:02 pm »
Hi everyone this is Josh, thanks for the compliments..  Underrail was really fun to work on.  Post-apocalyptic industrial music is in my top favorites, especially when its themed around sci-fi elements and other strangeness.

Im still working with Dan at Blue Bottle games as well, and I already completed the soundtrack for his next game Ostranauts a while ago - once its released on Steam the OST will also be on sale as well and it also includes a full bonus album of material .. the steam link for the game is here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022980/Ostranauts/

If anyone has questions or comments about other projects, please feel free to email me!

I have to ask...what is YOUR favorite track on the Underrail OST?

Operative85

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 07:28:01 am »

Oh boy, you worked with BBG too? That gives you points on my book! Kudos and keep making your music!

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 02:12:21 am »
How does it work?  Does styg say "make me a track for the city sewers" and you just come up with something?  Or does he give you examples of what he wants it to sound like, or what?
*eurobeat intensifies*

nyahs

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 06:31:09 pm »
I love

I love your Underrail's OST. I hope one day we could listen to it on Spotify