Author Topic: Max Thought Control, with spec/perks/Hoddurform/ make Neural Overload hit hard?  (Read 4365 times)

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Question for the old timers like TheAverageGortsby and such:

Has anyone made a build hyper focused on making Neural Overload hit hard? I figured with the cerebral trauma, psi headband module, spec and hoddurform you might be
able to make a Mindflayer build. Just curious if anyone has tried it. I would try to get will to 18 to max damage.

With the Cerebral trauma perk plus specialization it would equal + 40% dmg, with the headband module at max quality would be + 56% dmg, and hoddurform plus 25% dmg,

So a total of +121% damage. And with Hoddurform, your attacks leave a DoT that deals 66% of a Neural Overload hit as acid damage.

Figure with a psionic mania + LOC neural overload, you crit hard and leave all the enemies close to death or dead with a strong DoT.

What do you all think?

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I did this some time ago. Once you get Hoddurform you melt minds real good. My build was TQ and not Psychosis, which I remember regretting a little, but it still worked pretty well.

Once I did get Hoddurform it didn't take long for the shine to wear off, though. Melt melt melt. Yup, it works. Getting bored wasn't specific to this build: I often lose interest in characters once they get their prime gimmick nailed down.

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
I did this some time ago. Once you get Hoddurform you melt minds real good. My build was TQ and not Psychosis, which I remember regretting a little, but it still worked pretty well.

Once I did get Hoddurform it didn't take long for the shine to wear off, though. Melt melt melt. Yup, it works. Getting bored wasn't specific to this build: I often lose interest in characters once they get their prime gimmick nailed down.

Did you take the specialization points in it and the neural overload moduel or just use the staff? How was the DoT from the staff?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
What do you all think?
Sorry to be late on the reply.  A Neural Overload nuke build works just fine as long as you've built in a way to deal with mindless enemies like robots.  Thought Control is very strong, and if you spec into it, N.O. does impressive damage even on DOMINATING.  Your Arena fights will be a lot tougher if you're going TC single-school, though, unless you rush to get Hoddorform then come back to finish the Arena.

I lament the one-trick nature that psi builds are getting pigeonholed into, but as one-trick builds go, N.O. nuke is quite viable.

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
What do you all think?
Sorry to be late on the reply.  A Neural Overload nuke build works just fine as long as you've built in a way to deal with mindless enemies like robots.  Thought Control is very strong, and if you spec into it, N.O. does impressive damage even on DOMINATING.  Your Arena fights will be a lot tougher if you're going TC single-school, though, unless you rush to get Hoddorform then come back to finish the Arena.

I lament the one-trick nature that psi builds are getting pigeonholed into, but as one-trick builds go, N.O. nuke is quite viable.

Maybe I'll dual TC/N.O with sniper or AR in order to deal with everything else. N.O. is pretty short range. Is it for sure final the changes they announced? I know they are testing it now. I saw the new perks already on the character builder site.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Personally, I wouldn't go all out on Thought Control alone.

8 Will is enough for Neural Overload to do what it's meant to. The rest of the TC skills will take some time, but they will get there for the big fights. You'd have to focus on some other things in your build to make sure you get the staff early on, though. Considering it's also a spear that applies poisons, intimidates and blocks, you could make use of that, as well, no? It will be interesting going all out on with that weapon. For some fights you could make use of a Tac Vest with Psi Crab Carapace. Not always, mind you.

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Personally, I wouldn't go all out on Thought Control alone.

8 Will is enough for Neural Overload to do what it's meant to. The rest of the TC skills will take some time, but they will get there for the big fights. You'd have to focus on some other things in your build to make sure you get the staff early on, though. Considering it's also a spear that applies poisons, intimidates and blocks, you could make use of that, as well, no? It will be interesting going all out on with that weapon. For some fights you could make use of a Tac Vest with Psi Crab Carapace. Not always, mind you.

I only play dominating, and I just don't like playing melee on that difficulty. I don't think I would have enough HP with hoddurform and psi empathies HP reduction. Im thinking either get Methathermics and/or sniper or crossbow.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
I only play dominating, and I just don't like playing melee on that difficulty. I don't think I would have enough HP with hoddurform and psi empathies HP reduction. Im thinking either get Methathermics and/or sniper or crossbow.

If you've played Dominating before you'd know that not going full Perception with either Snipers of Crossbows will produce mixed results. Their accuracy takes a considerable hit unless maxed out on every opportunity.

I think you underestimate the amount of blocking you can do with a decent Riot gear and one handed spear with Spear Guardian +2. There's Sturdy Vests to provide base HP back and you don't have to play 3 Con character, either.

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile

If you've played Dominating before you'd know that not going full Perception with either Snipers of Crossbows will produce mixed results. Their accuracy takes a considerable hit unless maxed out on every opportunity.

I think you underestimate the amount of blocking you can do with a decent Riot gear and one handed spear with Spear Guardian +2. There's Sturdy Vests to provide base HP back and you don't have to play 3 Con character, either.

I have got 1070 hours man lol. For me, 11 perception is just enough, specially with LOC. It's easy to get kill shots with that level of crowd control. I am a crit fiend as well, so I usually get recklessness with scrutinous. I just think melee gets you pwned by everything easily on dominating, monsters and humans hit fucking hard. You need to kill them as fast as possible. The only melee/psi build I think is really good is strength/hammer/TK and time monks. I have tried sword/spear with various psi builds and it just sucks. Blocking isn't really relevant except to certain monsters like stalkers. Ranged enemies are the real problem in the game.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:32:17 pm by goodboyblue »

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
I have got 1070 hours man lol. For me, 11 perception is just enough, specially with LOC. It's easy to get kill shots with that level of crowd control. I am a crit fiend as well, so I usually get recklessness with scrutinous. I just think melee gets you pwned by everything easily on dominating, monsters and humans hit fucking hard. You need to kill them as fast as possible. The only melee/psi build I think is really good is strength/hammer/TK and time monks. I have tried sword/spear with various psi builds and it just sucks. Blocking isn't really relevant except to certain monsters like stalkers. Ranged enemies are the real problem in the game.

It's ok, man, we all enjoy the game in our own ways. The fact that you gravitate towards Recklessness explains why you prefer to keep distance. It works, but it's only one style of play.

Blocking isn't really relevant except to certain monsters like stalkers. Ranged enemies are the real problem in the game.

I understand - you just don't like melee builds :).

goodboyblue

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile

It's ok, man, we all enjoy the game in our own ways. The fact that you gravitate towards Recklessness explains why you prefer to keep distance. It works, but it's only one style of play.

Blocking isn't really relevant except to certain monsters like stalkers. Ranged enemies are the real problem in the game.

I understand - you just don't like melee builds :).

How would you build a mindflayer? I am open to new ideas and ways of playing. Send a build link I will probably play it.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
How would you build a mindflayer? I am open to new ideas and ways of playing. Send a build link I will probably play it.

Well... I suppose if you want a Mindflayer per se, you will have to go the Locust of Control route. To me that doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment. Granted, I always take the time to farm some Bullheads and maybe that's why I don't see it as such a necessary perk, but operating a Cryokinetic orb with Premeditation, Psionic Mania and Trance(piss easy to craft) will give you a bigger, harder hitting aoe, at longer range and with it's own dot followed after. A MK IV Frag will do some clean up aaaand... there probably won't be much standing after that, tbh. This still doesn't mean that you couldn't play a ranged character with that.

To me the NO part of Hoddurform is more like that SMG I use with Versatility when going 18 Dex melee builds. It's really good to have but it isn't something that will be used at all times.

https://underrail.info/build/?FA0FAwcDCAYAUABuAAAAAAAAAFYALlFWbgBuAABVACsvwoIsBSplwq_CkxtEwpTiprgD4rOOAt-_

Post 20 I will probably take Versatility just to deal with the odd Naga Protector and put some points in Electronics. One thing I can say is that this build will have an easy time getting the Hoddurform quite early, as well as complete the Foundry questline for some 150 + quality metal plates. A decent Tungsten spear can still deal with most robots.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:04:29 am by HulkOSaurus »

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Question for the old timers like TheAverageGortsby and such:

Has anyone made a build hyper focused on making Neural Overload hit hard? I figured with the cerebral trauma, psi headband module, spec and hoddurform you might be
able to make a Mindflayer build. Just curious if anyone has tried it. I would try to get will to 18 to max damage.

With the Cerebral trauma perk plus specialization it would equal + 40% dmg, with the headband module at max quality would be + 56% dmg, and hoddurform plus 25% dmg,

So a total of +121% damage. And with Hoddurform, your attacks leave a DoT that deals 66% of a Neural Overload hit as acid damage.
If you go for max neural overload damage, nothing that is not immune will survive it (past the initial levels, of course), so you won't get much use out of the acid damage. A normal spirit staff is easy to obtain and works as well, espeicially with psionic mania & trance.