Author Topic: Need advice on sneaking past a certain lab  (Read 1596 times)

finalpatch

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Need advice on sneaking past a certain lab
« on: October 02, 2020, 07:30:07 am »
Hi folks.  My character is a level 15 xbow+trap+stealth guy.  So far he's being doing pretty well by stealth kill enemies one by one or setup battle field with traps.  However, I find these strategy simply won't work for the epione lab mission for the drones.   For role playing purpose, I would ideally like to just sneak past the guards and complete my mission undetected.  But the position of the front guard means I have seemingly no way to leave his sight within a few seconds.  And a few seconds is all it takes for him to detect me.   So exactly how much stealth do I need to sneak past him?   I have 126 stealth from stats (which I maxout every level) and armor, and +40 from cloaking device, so that adds up to 166 and still it seems far from being able to stay undetected long enough to get past him.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on sneaking past a certain lab
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 10:51:05 am »
Lure him away with noise (throw grenade but don't hit anyone)

finalpatch

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 11:20:39 am »
Lure him away with noise (throw grenade but don't hit anyone)

Well he's right in front me when I enter the area.  If I throw a grenade I would immediately expose myself right?

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 09:10:58 pm »
This is south underrail, throwing grenades is totally legal and fine! As long as they don't end up exploding people, of course.

And yes, throwing a grenade is probably your best shot. But you are really making things harder if you try to full sneak that mission, not to mention you'll miss an oddity, maybe two.

finalpatch

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 09:36:18 am »
Thanks, you are right,  grenade does pull them away without triggering combat. So in theory I could throw grenade, enter stealth, move past the front guard's post before he comes back.  But in practice, with my 3 STR and 0 throwing skill,  I can't throw the grenade far enough to create time window that I can sneak in.

In the end I just opened up cheat engine and set my effective stealth skill to 300 and sneaked past the front guard.  Even then I just barely made it to the shadow before his awareness indicator turns red.

IMO this challenge is not fair for a stealth character: it's either fighting 4 soldiers with no corner to hide and no chance to prepare the battle field, not entirely impossible but for a character not optimized for frontal assault will probably have to rely on save scumming for getting criticals and the enemy misses,  or I need to have 300+ stealth which is simply not possible at this stage.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 12:01:18 am »
It's a tough sneak, but I'm pretty sure I've done it with less than 300 stealth.

I've used adrenaline (just before entering stealth and then the zone transition) which I believe gives you a bit of a movement boost even in stealth. Likewise Psycho-temporal contraction.

The Interloper feat helps too, you could have waited and gotten that (if you didn't have it already).

I usually fight those guys, but sneaking by initially puts you in a hell of a better position for the fight.