Author Topic: Gun Nut  (Read 4138 times)

phobos2077

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Gun Nut
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »
Does anyone know why the Gun Nut feat was nerfed? How/when it was considered OP?

I'm playing a somewhat diverse build (sniper, SMG and crossbow for offensive; shields, stealth and traps for defense) and whenever I looked at the list of feats to take, Gun Nut never seemed even closely useful, compared to other offensive feats such as:
  • Special Tactics: +1 additional attack, basically +50% power for the first round
  • Elemental Bolts: 100% damage increase!
  • Spec Ops: two bursts per round instead of one!
From my perspective, even 20% increase in max damage is barely noticeable (especially for low-damage weapons like 5mm pistols/SMGs), let alone 15%!

I'm not posting this into Suggestions, since if this was nerfed pretty late in game development, the devs had their reasons and unlikely to change their mind. It's just I don't see those reasons...

PS: If I were to suggest from my experience, I would say +25% max damage might be enough, or +15% max AND min damage.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Nut
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:03:06 pm »
I agree. If the int requirement was lowered from 7 to 5 then the nerf would be somewhat understandable. Gun Nut is great only early in the game now. The further you progress the more damage you recieve from the guns skill and more irrelevant Gun Nut becomes.

IMO it is only ok if you already plan to get 6 or 7 int for stuff like Armor Sloping, Skinner, Ballistics, Practical Physicist and so on AND don't have any crucial feats missing in your build. I personally almost never take more than 3 int for firearm builds as I always need them somewhere else, mostly trying to get perception as high as possible. With Junkyard Surprise I have 5 int and it's enough to be able to craft 95% of the highest quality components.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 02:44:34 pm »
Gun Nut used to be +20%.

Not a big nerf compared to Steadfast Aim or Sharpshooter. But yes, it's rather underwhelming.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 03:46:33 pm »
I agree, most of the crafting feats are pretty underwhelming.

Armor slopping is good if you want to use metal armor/riot shield and keep your armor penalty low I guess, but there are also feats that actually benfit from high armor penalty. It's one of the more useful ones nevertheless.

Ballistic is pretty good very early in the game, but later on that 3 DT and 9 against fireamrs is pretty much a wasted feat.

Clothier/Skinner is not that bad as the 20% more quality is universally useful, but I don't think 7 INT is really worth it.

Disassemble is good for convenience (who wants to look for another rapid reloader/super string/scopes each time they find a marginally better frame?) but the 10% quality loss makes it a pain for items that use more than one quality-based component, like smart modules. I  think it would be worth 7 INT if there was no quality loss, but right now it's arguable.

Gun Nut is just terrible, not only 15% more max damage is a very low increase in DPS, it's practically worthless for people who focus on minimal damage instead. It should be 20% to minimal/all damage instead. It's only worth it if you have 7 INT for other feats, and only on builds that are not too feat-hungry.

Mad Chemist is pretty good if one wants to use chemical pistols.

Neurology is just underwhelming, the bonus is too low.

Power Management is in my opinion the best crafting perk there is if you have electronics, since it works with energy shields. It's basically 35% more HP and you can get up to 2000+ capacity with it, who doesn't want that?

Practical Physicist is pretty good if you want to see crazy number with amplfied plasma pistol.

Weaponsmith is nice, but I don't know if 5% crit chance is really worth 7 INT.