Author Topic: The Best Build  (Read 7428 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
The Best Build
« on: January 01, 2023, 06:25:33 pm »
https://underrail.info/build/?HgcHCgMLAwXCoEkAAB7CoFBGMkQAU1MjMmUAAADCi04UACsoOSQmFU4CRDtJSsKHwoMWR8KFS2zDnMKewp_Cm8Ktw4vin6IF4qKNA-KnlwPip6oD4rCuAd-_

I confidently state this is the best build.  Maybe a slightly different feat or skill selection is more objectively optimal, but basically this is it.  There is absolutely nothing in the game that this build can't handle.  The inclusion of hacking is the only big "maybe"; its a nice skill to have but not necessary.  You could drop it and put more points in throwing/stealth/tm; if I were to play it I'd probably take the hacking though.  Yell is for popping enemies out of stealth and making noise to lure enemies in.

You will eventually have enough initiative to auto-succeed in some very tough fights that you can't start from stealth, but you have to metagame a bit for that (arguably).  With root soda and a jkk vest you will have 45. 

Suggested gear is:

Detection NVG, but carry around crit ones for fights in bright areas. 
Black Insulated Infused Siphoner Jumpsuit
Bullet-strap Belt, but a doctors pouch in some situations
Infused Siphoner Tabis
Low/Low Efficient shield for general use, a High/High Efficient shield for certain situations (leave it uncharged until you need it)
Rapid Muzzled 7.62 Hornet
Anatomical Muzzled 9mm Chimera for the off-hand with gun rush, or against very tough and tanky enemies
Molotovs (best you can make at the time)/Flashbangs or Stingballs or EMPs depending on the enemy/Cloaking Device
Contraction/LTI/Precognition/Stasis, with Dilation instead of LTI when fighting fast tanky enemies
Mushroom Salad for general use, Stuffed Bat if you suspect traps or stealthed enemies, Root Soda if you suspect a dialogue fight, Laylow for general lategame use in tough areas, and of course Juice basically all the time

Carry ninja tabis for when you suspect crawlers or lurkers or anytime you're trying to stealth past a group entirely.  You could carry an antithermic version of your armor for fights where ambush won't be usable, or any time you think you'll need to fight inside of or run through your own copious molotov flames; its also useful in a few key areas.  You could even carry some antithermic tabis for total heat immunity if your siphoner tabis don't quite get you there.  You can make a silenced smg for stealth kills (you can even drop a feat and take spec ops if you want), but you will be able to handle any fight with your ARs.  You can craft your own special ammo and grenades.  For a jet, I suggest one of the middling ones, like the protectorate cruiser, the aegis patroller, or the shark; a combination of stable shooting platform and speed. 

You will want Hypercerebrix/Jons Special/Lemurian Engineer Suit/Bio-investigative Belt/Boning Knife for crafting.  You will want the JKK vest/White Dude/sometimes Heartbreaker Tabis for persuasion (you'll have to guess/metagame when to use them for the harder checks).  Sleight of the Night for the harder pickpocket checks, All-in for maximal lockpicking (but its probably not worth it), Jons Special again for optimal hacking.  Third Eye gives a big boost to detection, if you really really want to notice those deathstalkers as fast as possible. 

Joining the protectorate for omnilube is optimal; if you dislike that option morally you can at least persuade the drones to leave the train, join, then refuse to do any quests you disagree with.  You still get your lube.

The attached picture is from basically the same build; if you've never played a stealthy agility/perception build before, this is entirely possible.  The trick is being able to do it the first few times come across them. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

haze1103

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Build
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 01:31:27 am »
Love it, mostly because it's an oddity-friendly stealth build.

I haven't checked people's builds in a while, do people often skip Mercantile nowadays? Did Styg finally add enough endgame optional dungeons for reliable high Q components?
I guess it helps that you only need 1 or 2 good super steel, in terms of spending.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 03:15:13 am »
From what I can tell, most people do take mercantile, but I never do.  I find regular lategame components to be plenty good enough for anything in the game.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Red like Black

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 02:01:40 pm »
The starting stats are like 7/5/8/3/8/3/4?

Going DEX>DEX>PER>AGI>AGI>INT?

Anyways, would you mind elaborating on what makes this the best build and why initative is so important? I find its nice to have, but very far from needed.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 02:11:17 pm by Red like Black »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 04:45:58 pm »
I would start with 5 dex, 8 agi, 9 per.  Theres only a single 10 per secret in the early game and you can get it with food.  You won't need 10 agi until blitz.  Level dex first to get to 7 for escape artist at 8th, then per to 11, then agi to 10. 

Initiative matters because there are times where you can't start from stealth.  You could fairly easily ironman the game on dom with this build and to do so you'd want reliable initiative.

ARs are the strongest weapon because they do ridiculous damage, even out to long range, to entire groups of people (though somewhat unreliably), and suffer no melee penalty.  TM is broken OP.  Stealth+detection builds can basically always start combat on their terms.  High mobility (especially with TM) means you get attacked far less.  This build has crafting; it can make an ideal set of ARs (but not max quality) and a suit of siphoner armor which buffs your evasion even higher and gives you a lot of resistance to acid puddles and ground fire, and the tabis make you immune to slows (chill, kneecap shot, oil/webs, contraction debuff, etc).   High evasion means you take basically no damage from explosions (literally in the case of frags and molotovs) and you are immune to stingballs.  Add it all together and you are untouchable and unstoppable.  Stealth + detection + bio crafting means bullhead before stuns/incaps can be applied, assuming you use it at the right time, but given how short your battles will be, the 3 turns (4 with stasis) should be plenty.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:54:53 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 02:53:41 am »
How would you compare this to standard smg commando build? I dont have any numbers on hand atm, but I feel like smg damage output should be way better if you focus more on dex (you can drop STR fully), mainly at medium/close range.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 02:08:24 pm »
I believe SMG can spit out more damage per round, but it's more conditional; less range (and thus harder time with ambush), less damage per hit (especially without concentrated fire), have to have high dex to get the most shots per round, higher ammo consumption (more repair kits, more tungsten/hexogen, more gun lube, and I think you'll need more mp since you're probably moving to get close to each opponent/group that you burst).  You'd still want str as smg since they benefit from full auto too.  That's another thing; an optimal smg build goes dex versatility and will have a lower attack value and need to spend a feat on it. 

Shotguns also do more damage than ARs, I believe, but again are limited by range, and have more expensive bursts.  An endgame TM pistol build is probably the deadliest build in terms of combat prowess, but imo is worse through most of the game and will have lower stealth/detection regardless.  ARs are very well-rounded in addition to being very strong. 
*eurobeat intensifies*