Author Topic: Questions: Sword Meta & Potential LMG / Sword Hybrid  (Read 941 times)

Red like Black

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Questions: Sword Meta & Potential LMG / Sword Hybrid
« on: January 14, 2024, 05:37:00 am »
TL;DR Stealth + LMG / Sword build?

My planned version in theory:

https://underrail.info/build/?Gg0HBwUIAwNLwowAAMKMKMKMwoxwQQAAbwBNADwAAAAAABQAJDtEwowVJhMPw508w58Cw6HChcK237w

Gear: Bladed Super-Steel armour, ninja tabi, detection goggles.

Goals: Good Stealth, not die in one-shot, have big damage.

Long version:

Hello all, I would like to know the following:

1. What feats are mandatory on sword builds? Besides Flurry it seems people do not use the other feats.

2. How feasible would it be to create a Sword / LMG hybrid build? The idea is to primarily kill things with your sword, but to have the LMG as a backup for crowd control / as a ranged option.

What would be the suggested feats for such a build? With the focus being in:

1. Consistency, the build should be able to win the game with minimal reloads.

2. Exploration, the build should be able to explore 85% or higher of the games content, with a emphasis on dark areas with stealthy enemies. This means it should have either sufficient firepower, stealth, or a combination thereof.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: Sword Meta & Potential LMG / Sword Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 07:43:55 pm »
It's just not a good idea to do melee/ranged hybrids.  Ranged is superior to melee and you'll very rarely have a reason to whack something when you can shoot it.  You play melee because its more fun and challenging.  Sure, when using LMGs youll want to whack a weak or wounded enemy in melee instead of wasting a burst, but thats pretty much it. 

Sword builds arent good for exploration because you can't afford the per for secrets and detection, though you can have good str/dex/agi for those checks.  If you invest (specced snooping, paranoia, detection goggles, balor tattoo, drugs, etc) you can do alright but you wont be able to out-do deathstalkers or lurker snipers and things like that until the lategame if ever, but that's going to lower your sword effectiveness by a bit. 

So I suggest doing a focused ranged build and then a focused sword build; if you like the game you'll replay it anyway.

Flurry is the bread and butter of sword builds, and you always take onslaught.  Decapitate is worthy on strength sword builds.  Ripper is overkill; in my experience it makes it harder to get flurry built up which is bad.  Parry and riposte are bad. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: Sword Meta & Potential LMG / Sword Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 11:49:59 am »
It definitely can be done and it would work but as said above, ranged weapons are generally superior to melee and LMG is hands down the best weapon type in-game, being able to kill almost every enemy with minimal effort.
Valor's favorite poster