Author Topic: Are point shot and rapid fire worth it?  (Read 10834 times)

SadBaxter

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Are point shot and rapid fire worth it?
« on: April 22, 2015, 01:34:02 pm »
They /seem/ handy but I'm not sure whether they're quite worth it when there's more useful stuff for my current assault rifle/sniper character, especially all those burst fire feats.

Also is expertise working correctly? It's not indicated in the combat stats window, which I'm guessing is because the damage in combat stats is the base damage and expertise is only added on non-critical attacks but still.

Gman

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Are point shot and rapid fire worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:04:48 pm »
That is part of it, perhaps, is that I don't think they were for automatic weapons? I mean, doesn't make sense when they already come with burst function, which largely accomplishes the same thing with better results.  And definitely not for sniper rifles, though a fully modded Spearhead might work in some cases.  Looked at the same feats when they came out and wondered what you are, anyhow, and came up with that they are mostly for pistols, normal, energy and chemical for the most part.  You get a high enough small arms skill and the aim penalties are going to be negligible when using these feats.  And hitting someone with 2-3 lasers, or acid blobs, with one action has to be fairly useful.

Expertise afaik is working fine, near end game, was still using a custom 5mm Jackrabbit to extreme effectiveness, thanks a good deal in part to the straight 25 damage increase from Expertise.

Marcus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:09:15 pm »
Expertise does work, adding more than 20 points of damage to a weapon is practically a must have!.
Rapid fire: give it try with an explosive bullets loaded .44 Hammerer!

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:24:34 pm »
Expertise does work, adding more than 20 points of damage to a weapon is practically a must have!.
Rapid fire: give it try with an explosive bullets loaded .44 Hammerer!

Expertise doesn't add damage to the weapon but a flat damage after the skill and other modifiers are put in, and that's why it's not displayed in the combat stats. Big difference when you think about how the primary weapon skill affects the overall damage. Still worth it for any build that hit's often and is not focused on making critical hits.

Rapid Fire is great for assault rifles, in fact much better than aimed shot. With the hornet frame you have a 11 base AP cost, which means after a burst (33 AP) you have 17 AP left which is exactly how much you need for Rapid Fire: 11AP + 50% = 17 AP (rounded up from 16.5). It's so good that as soon as I have a good Hornet AR I prioritise it over aimed shot, which has a 3 round cooldown. Rapid Fire can be used every round and each hit can still make a critical.

Point Shot is good for ARs with up to 14 base AP cost: After a burst (42 AP) you have 8 AP left which is enough for a 7 AP Point Shot (14 AP - 50%). The problem is it requires 6 dexterity which should be a dump stat for a strong assault rifle build (unless your AR build is actually SMG focused).

SadBaxter

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:05:21 pm »
Yeah I've realized that they might be incredible thanks to smart modules existing. A smart module is a flat damage increase to anything other than a standard attack, making it the best gun attachment for any firearm, along with the rapid reloader (apart from sniper rifles arguably). The rapid reloader can get a 7.62mm hornet down to 9 AP per shot, and an 8.6mm hornet down to 10 AP per shot, which means you can burst, rapid fire, and point shot all in a single turn, and if you use the burst at the right time with commando you can get another burst off as well. With Full auto you can potentially fire 18 shots per turn, all of which would have their damage boosted by the smart module, AND concentrated fire would provide huge damage increases as well. With the stacking damage you can put out ludicrous damage per shot rivaled only by crit damage bonus stacking on sniper rifles with aimed shot, with the exception that you can do a full bullet hell burst every second turn when you factor in reloading.

Oh, and Expertise provides a damage increase per (non-critical) attack, so that stacks up nicely, and recklessness would also be extremely worthwhile as you're going to be giving yourself tons of chances to crit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:07:57 pm by SadBaxter »

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
- The AP cost is truncated, not rounded. You get 16 AP cost with 7.62mm Hornet and Rapid Fire.

Never noticed this, thanks.
Which reminds me of - One single thing in Underrail that bothers me most is the way AP are displayed - as a bar and not in numbers. Sure, I can see the numbers but only as a tooltip when I move the mouse over the AP bar. This is extremly unpractical for anyone who wants to make most out his AP and uses a wide range of abilites with different AP cost.

Why not simply display two numbers, one for MP, the other for AP? It may not be as stylish as the bar which fits nicely into the UI design but would save alot of unnecessary mouse movements.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 03:45:23 pm »
They don't display when hovering over something in the quickbar or when in inv but you're right ofcourse, it's to be seen most of the time. I guess I'm spoiled by playing too much JA2.  :P
Setting the tooltip font to large actually helps.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:47:20 pm by Wildan »