Author Topic: Preparing for Deep Caverns  (Read 14296 times)

Sandnaut

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for Deep Caverns
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 10:46:24 pm »
Tell us your build man, I came to the Deep Caverns unprepared and I've got no crafting skill, I am a faceless' friend and I can tell you:
- you'll find around 12 tnt charges in one place
- you'll find 2 or 3 jackhammer
- you'll find around 1000 bullets for every kind (maybe not for the sniper I don't use it)
- you'll find a 60 30-energy-battery-stack
These above if you can sneak past the faceless, be allied with them or gonna kill them.
- you'll need many healing
- many special rounds (green ones)
- there are robots so if you don't have special weapons against them bring emp grenades and mines
- some antidotes are always useful
- now food last 20 minutes (last patch) so use it
Some enemies are respawning, when you understand which ones avoid the fight with them

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 02:04:06 am »
I did add all build information in follow up posts...

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:40 am »
Tell us your build man, I came to the Deep Caverns unprepared and I've got no crafting skill, I am a faceless' friend and I can tell you:
- you'll find around 12 tnt charges in one place
- you'll find 2 or 3 jackhammer
- you'll find around 1000 bullets for every kind (maybe not for the sniper I don't use it)
- you'll find a 60 30-energy-battery-stack
- you'll find 2 acid vials. Whole TWO of them. Both full of acid.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 08:36:23 am »
You will also find 8-10 acid components and can loot corrosive acid glands from deep worms, so it's enough to make at least 80-100 vials.

But yeah, if you don't have crafting your option are pretty limited. I don't how could you make a decent chemical pistol build without crafting though, it's almost a requirement.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 09:29:04 am »
You will also find 8-10 acid components and can loot corrosive acid glands from deep worms, so it's enough to make at least 80-100 vials.

But yeah, if you don't have crafting your option are pretty limited. I don't how could you make a decent chemical pistol build without crafting though, it's almost a requirement.

100 still can't compare to over 1k.
You also need vials and bonding agents. I found ONE agent in Loot Heavy Place.
By looting urban areas between West Faction and East Faction i found 3 more. That would be 40 ammo, given enough vials.

You can loot decent acid gimpstol from Faceless group near CC.

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 11:14:48 am »
I think there aren't that many chemical ingredients in deep caverns, in comparison to electronics for example. The character I've played had high chemistry, but crafted maybe a few advanced grenades, whereas shield or psi bands components seemed plenty. It does seem strange in retrospect, since Biocorp research in that place was focused on biological and chemical research, so I would expect the warehouses to be stocked with unused reagents.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:16:48 am by chimaera »

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 08:18:51 am »
So I finally fished the the Deep Caverns.

Impressions regarding this thread topic:

1) CAU armor is NOT the only useful armor as some have suggested. I am glad I took mine two Galvanic Overcoats (one with anti-rifle vests and one light for stealth). They were great against Coil Spiders and psionic Thorchlings. And since I had Juggernaut feat, anti-file one gave me extra 25% health.

Also, I am thinking it was a mistake I did not took my stashed metal armor from Underrail, since it would have been really useful in Arke Plant. Luckily, warehouse was full of metal armors to choose, in a pinch.

Similarly, anti-thermic armor would have been useful against industrial bots and kamikaze bots in the vents. Sure there was anti-fire suit to find inside, but it removed -10AP and have no mechanic resistance against bot heavy melee punches (which are not animated by the way). At the end I did find decent leather armor with 25% mechanic and 50%/20 Heat resistance, inside the Plant, so that is something. Metal armor with both energy and heat resistance was not an option due to ST9 requirement (had ST 8 only).

At the end, I did got to Arke Plant slightly unprepared, so I mostly used by Galvanic Overcoat and CAU armor against poisons.
Also did skip IRIS boss fight, so my shields did most of the work agains small skirmishes. Not sure what kind of armor would be best for that fight. Probably metal?

2) Hypos, bandages where abundant. More looted then used up.

3) Did not spend all of my 7.56mm AP ammo, so there was no need to use my fallback SMG with 9mm AP ammo.
Still, I did try to minimize use of AP ammo, for only when it is really required. For example, even if enemy has 50% mechanic resistance, it would be killed with regular ammo, if it is not hard to do so. Primary targets for AP ammo were those snails and industrial bots (and Tchort of course). I also tried to use Phaser with Aimed shot in Arke power plan. It would either kill crawlers in one shot or with one Phaser shot, plus one SMG shot that I could use in same round. Sure, two SMG burst would be more effective, but this tactic was mostly used to save some ammo.

4) Faceless were not hostile, so Warehouse became my base of operation, where all useful loot was gathered from other places.

Additionally, DC has not enough merchants to sell all loot, but it is still useful to loot everything and move it  to single container, since this way you make sure not to miss any plot items you need to find (you see all containers looted, and you know area is cleared out).

5) And what got of the Tchort, you ask. Well I killed him twice. Once accidentally when I got to the ladder unprepared. I just used full force of my sniper build. Snipe then couple of aimed shots. Actually, it was not accident. In first accident try I was dead. Next was right after it when I got to ladder when already in the stealth.

After that I dot fully prepared with solving mutagen puzzle and taking out 3 mutagen containers with explosives and one with SMG. And truth to be told, it does not seem this made battle much easier, since it spawned a lot of Tchortlings, including couple of psions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:40:00 am by player1 »

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:22 am »
Don't know why you'd need galvanic or thermic armour if you have a halfway decent shield emitter, turning it on completely nullified any damage from industrial bot flamethrowers/coil spider electrokinesis for me. And my shield wasn't crafted, just bought. My character had no crafting skills.

The only armour I found a use for other than CAU was the biohazard suit, whilst plinking away at the root in the mushroom forest.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 08:41:33 am »
For the first round, if losing initiative. Or when failing stealth and deciding to not save scum. Also, for smaller skirmishes I never even activate my shield emitters, only for tough battles.

And shields won't help against psionics, while Galvanic armor will. And especially anti-rifle galvanic armor due to 25% Juggernaut health bonus.

Really, I love Gavanic armors. I used them for 80% of the game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:46:29 am by player1 »

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 08:46:40 am »
Was never a problem for me, but I was playing a sneak heavy character. There are so many batteries to burn through in DC that you hardly have to worry about saving your shields though.

Galvanic armour helps against psionics? Are you sure? Far as I was aware it only helps versus electrokinetic attacks, as shields do - nothing mitigates damage from neural overload or bilocation AFAIK.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 09:32:54 am »
If psionic damage is electric, like 80% of them are, it will help. And yes, biolocation shadows do ekectric damage, as well as overload.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 09:47:53 am »
If psionic damage is electric, like 80% of them are, it will help. And yes, biolocation shadows do ekectric damage, as well as overload.

Both bilocation and overload bypass electrical resistance. They are not really electrical.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 10:43:53 am »
You are right!
Just retested it and those two attacks ignore resistances.

I feel so... tricked. I mean really, do not mark attack as "electrical", if it bypasses electrical resistance. Mark it psi or something.