Author Topic: Is INT=7 mandatory for a crafter build?  (Read 5184 times)

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Is INT=7 mandatory for a crafter build?
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:56:51 pm »
Hello Underrailers

Just doing some build tests to try out a successful crafting outcome.  :P

Tried STR 3, DEX 8, AGI 8, CON 3, PER 10, WIL 3 and INT 6
because I do not want to suck at combat, but I think I am missing the Feat goodies related to crafting.

Any ideas on progression?. I would like to reach STR 5 to snipe with a sniper rifle.

TIA.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Is INT=7 mandatory for a crafter build?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
6 is fine too, but it's all about crafting feats. Check wiki to see which crafting feats would be useful for you (most of them are at lvls 1-3).

You'll probably need 7 for Clothier that will boost your stealth and Snipe. It's kinda bull***t Clothier needs same amount of INT as Practical Physicist or Neurology but that's how things are now.

Wildan

• Scavenger
  • Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 04:07:07 pm »
Even 3 INT is enough if you eat Junkyard Surprise (with a bit of luck +2 INT) and 15% crafting bonus in Core City player home basement. Maxed 135 points at level 25 translate to as much as 167 effective skill and I don't rememeber ever needing more than 154-156, even for infused Leather armors so maxing it is overspent. When it comes to skill points take only more than 3 INT if you're playing a (hybrid) PSI build which usually needs to spread alot skillwise.

Crafting feats are not mandatory at all but they can make a difference between life and death in certain situations, especially on glass cannon builds that need to rely on shields and good armor resistance. It's always a matter if your build can actually afford 7 INT and has enough free feat slots.
If you're a pure sniper you qualify for both easily so take 7 INT for feats like Power Management and Skinner. You can even afford Gun Nut and still be able to max to 16 PER on level 24 which you really should do. High PER is more important then anything for a sniper.

Unless you plan to use a pistol or SMG as your secondary firearm drop DEX to 3. It's literally useless for a sniper. Those are whopping 5 extra points you can switch over to STR for efficient sniper use, INT for the crafting feats and AGI for stealth bonus and Blitz.

Start with:
5 STR, 3 DEX, 10 AGI, 3 CON, 10 PER, 3 WIL, 7 INT
Put every point into PER.

Alternatively you can take 3 points from AGI, put them into CON and pick Fast Metabolism which synergizes very well with Power Management and regenarative vest. Just remember not to to overspend on crafting skills - probably the most common mistake I've seen people do.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:40:42 pm »
Even 3 INT is enough if you eat Junkyard Surprise (with a bit of luck +2 INT) and 15% crafting bonus in Core City player home basement. Maxed 135 points at level 25 translate to as much as 167 effective skill and I don't rememeber ever needing more than 154-156

In DC the game can throw something like this on you:

but it's far from mandatory for beating final boss.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:10:44 pm »
Nice thanks.

I am using an smg as my main weapon so some DEX is needed.

I will keep testing and see how it goes.

PS - Am I wrong or is STR=5 enough for sniper rifles?

PS2 - Disassemble feat seems quite nice... Is it not? that's another reason for INT=7 requirement.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:13:40 pm by eLPuSHeR »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:29:29 pm »
Disassemble has two problems:
- it costs you a feat
- it lowers item quality to 90%

and it's one problem too much imho. Without quality loss it would be worth considering.

player1

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:22:53 pm »
On the other hand, it is great convenience, for some types of items.

eLPuSHeR

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:20:36 am »
In the interim I have created another build and I will be leaving crafting for later. Too much investment imho.