Author Topic: Difficulty Deciding on Build  (Read 3532 times)

TheDude8D

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Difficulty Deciding on Build
« on: December 10, 2020, 11:17:46 pm »
Hey, I've started a few builds and made it to junkyard and am still undecided on what I want to run for a first playthrough. I'm stuck between pure psi build or an AR build. I don't want any spoilers so which one of these do you think will let me experience the most of the game? The psi seems more fun in psi skill mechanics interacting and AR seems more fun in the number go big stat crafting game. I'm a fan of both so I was wanting some feedback.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty Deciding on Build
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:53 am »
Go both.

Niko

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 06:00:10 am »
This game kinda makes you develop your own style. Going both AR/Psi is something I did once. My first 'serious' playthrough never got to the end, nor did the 30th, and that is the fun of it, honestly. Dominating is the funniest grind you can have in a game like this. Your best build is the one you decide to go seriously and then you start to hone it, and keep doing it. Hehehehe. Careful with the Stockholm syndrome though  ;)

TheDude8D

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 05:56:46 pm »
I'm playing a psi build right now and at core city, but I have realized metathermics is subpar without the feat investment and I'm like 50 points in. Other than that I'm using tranquility with thought control and psychokinesis; which have been utterly wrecking. Grenades have replaced metathermics and with plasma grenades thrown whilst having the grenadier perk, meta seems less useful. I'm thinking about starting over to reinvest those meta points into TM, but I also might see if I can make a 70 metathermic investment worth it. That would give Destabilization 100% health damage, but I'm also wanting to invest into TM and having all that extra cost is not attractive.. any advice? I'm willing to restart, switch to different schools etc, I'm mainly looking for recommendations for good psi school synergies.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 06:53:08 pm »
TC + Psychokinesis isn't an optimal pairing, largely because TC has no real AoE (LoC invocations stand as the giant exception to that rule of thumb) and Psychokinetics has very little AoE as well, since the bounce from Electrokinesis is pretty minor.  It's nice to add in Metathermics to either of those two schools because meta has huge AoE.

That said, 70 Metathermics is certainly workable.  It's a solid support school if you want to use it that way - for example, as you point out, capping ThermoD damage and using your high single-target damage from TC or PK to kill the walking bomb.  You're into mid-game if you're at Core City, so pretty soon you'll start finding psi cost reduction, which can offset the penalty of using 3 or 4 schools.  You can afford to dabble in all four if you want - really only need to innervate 1-2 TC abilities, 2-3 each PK and MT, and just 1 from TM is fine. You can fit all that in at the same time.

You don't need to reroll if you don't want.  Grab the psi feat that reduces cost penalty and you can run quad-psi just fine once you've got a muffled psi headband and a psi beetle tac vest.

TheDude8D

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 07:44:32 pm »
Thanks Gortsby, I feel much better about my build after reading that! I'm planning on multiple playthrough on hard and dominating after this first normal run. I have OCD that revolves a lot around checking behaviors and optimization obsessions so games like this are my poison/crack haha! Helpful people like you in forums really help me enjoy the game when the mind goblins flare up as they have been recently for me.