Author Topic: Energy (or Chem) pistols or Sniper for Dominating?  (Read 2350 times)

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Energy (or Chem) pistols or Sniper for Dominating?
« on: July 12, 2021, 07:33:26 pm »
Hey guys,

Been a while since I played UnderRail so I'm a little out of the loop, there have been many patches since my last foray underground. I was in the middle of an extremely well going Dominating run with a PSI char when the PSI nerf hit, plus other things got in the way at the time so I stopped playing. Couple days ago I found out that older branches are still available so I excitedly ran the game hoping to continue my old save, only to very unfortunately realize I lost all my saves when I upgraded the PC and forgot to make backups of the saves folder, because I forgot that the save files are too big for Steam Cloud. But I digress.

Anyway, I'd like to make another attempt at Dominating, with the latest patch of course, and I'm looking at either Energy (or Chem) pistols or full Sniper builds because they are one of the few I haven't tried yet. Any suggestions will be welcome. I'm strongly leaning towards Energy pistols because I've played stealth based chars so many times that I'd like to try something different. Thanks in advance!

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Energy (or Chem) pistols or Sniper for Dominating?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 08:48:48 pm »
If I were to pick non-stealthy (which means tanky) build using energy, chem or sniper, I would go for chemical pistols.

Sniper: requires good positioning, surveying area etc. Goes well with stealth.

Energy: requires high crit chance, and what is better than Survival Instincts? Congratulations, you are glass cannon now. Needs stealth.

Chem: dots. Entagles. Burning people running around. Acid pools everywhere. Pure chaos. Can go with stealth but also with being incredibly tanky to stand in the middle of this and enjoying the show.

That being said, no clue if it would work for DOMINATING

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 03:58:14 pm »
Chem, Energy or Snipers are mainly stealth builds. Chem pistols builds are usually Versatility, because of the high AP cost to fire them. So if you want solid dps, you need DEX. After that you can go Survival Instincts glass cannon, or 3 CON but higher INT and Mad Chemist for better Damage Over Time and crafting in general, also 6 PER for Ambush - works great with Incendiary and Molotovs. There is a Chem tank build on Youtube, but it looks painful to play as you will be subject to all forms of skill reduction (when it's already hard to hit with Chem Pistols), AP reduction and CC's.. don't do it on DOMINATING 😆
Energy Pistols - you want high INT for High Technicalities and crafting in general. Also Ambush or SI again. But you also need DEX to reduce costs.. so Versatility again. Or a DEX/PER build, which leaves no place for CON again.
Remember DOMINATING enemies have even MORE Evasion - versatility builds already struggle and without Ambush - even more so...

And sniper without Stealth... is a no go. You need positioning, you want Snipe and Ambush, so that your shots 1 tap for Shooting Spree. You can again try going SI, and there is a strong showcase by KnifeGaf of Low INT, SI sniper build.. but it is still Stealth. You need Stealth with those builds I am afraid, for DOMINATING at least.

Ballistic Pistol build on other hand, with high initiative can do a non-stealth and non-glass-cannon build:
https://underrail.info/build/?HgMQCQcDAwVGMgDCoMKgwqAAADIoKHh9PSYwAAAARgAAWBfCoxkww5FbK07DkiTChzEWS0HCsyc54qCKBeK1rgXivYQF378

You can reach 59% Crit Chance with (10% Base + 7% Reckless + 18% Goggles + 15% Focus Stim + 9% Infused Rathound Leather Armor), use Hammerer frames for 125% Crit Damage boost.. yeah, it looks like a fun build to play.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:12:27 pm by RewRatt »

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 08:49:38 am »
Thanks, I'll look over the different options and decide which one would be best.